This is the Jefferson Starship....Really?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaleClark, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

THIS is the future of rock and roll.

Seriously.

Hep Alien and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Truly, somebody should try and do a summer tour circuit with various versions of groups vying for, "genuine, official legitimacy" Cowsills version of Beach Boys vs Brian, etc. Only catch: groups do not have to do a stage set; the audience watches live backstage video feeds on a Jumbotron.

Hep Alien and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

Jimmy B. likes this.
  5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I believe Paul Kantner retained the rights to the name JEFFERSON Starship in the dispute when he left the band. Grace carried on with Starship with Mickey Thomas and the rest of the band. So I'm thinking David Frieberg and company probably dealt with Paul's estate.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Should really be:
    Grandkids of Duke Ellington's Orchestra ... ;)

7. Arnold Grove

In that case, with David Freiberg being the most important person involved here, they should rename themselves as "Jefferson Messenger Service" and do songs from both bands that he was a member of ... ;)

8. Dillydipper

Let me know when Papa John Creech tours with a tribute band...

9. Arnold Grove

He's set to appear in:

[​IMG]

It's a favorite up in heaven ... ;)

10. Dillydipper

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk...

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sadly the leader (Brian Marnell) is long gone.

12. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

My university (Marquette) brought in Big Brother and the Holding Company in the late 90s/2000 fronted by a 30 yr old relatively soundalike lead singer. One of Marquettes big professor taught a history of Rock n roll class (that was far more US history with rock music backdrops than rock :).

Anyway he pulled strings and had BB come in for a show. They opened with a good hour back story on Janis with video footage thrown in, then played an hour or 90 minute set

It was amazing. I didn't know Janis at the time and was a big fan from then.

Point is--if they do it right, it could be good :)

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

One great tune.

Hep Alien, zebop and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

If you think about it, of the four orginal THE Eagles Henley is the only one active in the band, such as it was last month.

15. MikaelaArsenault

:laugh:

16. MikaelaArsenault

I thought The Eagles broke up.

17. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

If I were a fan of the band, I would love the chance to see a group of musicians with a tie to their past play a show. That's probably the best you're gonna get from here on out. If it doesn't sound like a good idea to you, don't go.

Duke Fame likes this.
  18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i went ten years ago to a bar(pathetic) to see kantner, freeberd and some others that i cant recall, it wasnt a exactly a memorable show compared to just a few years previously. not quite an embarassment but close. if these gys want to play thats great but dont call it JS maybe call it the JS Heirs or something else

21. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Way to destroy the legacy.

At least they aren't trying to call themselves Jefferson Airplane.

22. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Jefferson Failplane :winkgrin:

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Nope. When Kantner left the band in 1985, he sold his rights to the name to Grace Slick and (manager) Bill Thompson. When he started using the name again in the 90s, Slick says she initially chose to let it go, but they finally sued him in 2007. The suit was settled with Kantner agreeing to pay a licensing fee to Slick and Thompson. With Thompson now deceased, Slick is the sole owner of the name, and is licensing its use to the current band.

More recently, Craig Chaquico has filed a lawsuit against the current Jefferson Starship band, alleging that there was an agreement not to use the Jefferson Starship name after Kantner left and that they are violating it. This suit is puzzling, because it doesn't appear Chaquico ever had ownership interest in the name, and if he did he should more logically be suing Slick (who is licensing out the name) rather than the band. As far as I know, this suit is still pending.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure it's a tangled mess of legal maneuvers.

25. frog12

frog12 Forum Resident

Friday’s show at PNC Pavilion at Riverbend in Cincinnati saw Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi welcome Hot Tuna’s Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukonen to join the group on a first-time performance of “3/5th of a Mile in 10 Seconds.” The pair of guests had originally recorded the song in 1967 with Jefferson Airplane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.