An Appreciation For Status Quo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Never listened a lot to their records but I saw them live in 1986 and it was fun. I was not so fond of their hit "In the Army Now" at the time but I enjoy the boogie rock of "Blue for You". They could rock in a way that is lost in rock music. They lived it and played it. 100% genuine rock & roll band.

Man at C&A and 12stringbassist like this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I certainly find that the "everything post-77/81/85 is ****e" brigade is wearing coloured glasses and doesn't really listen to the music or judge it on its own merits. The first covers album was more successful than the original Quo material released in the 90s so the desire from management and record company to repeat that success was understandable, but in the end the trick wore thin rather quickly and Francis (who's often blamed for every bad decision) says he regrets doing all of them.

However, I do kind of concur with the second "faction". Quo have shot themselves in the foot in many ways - while Rossi/Parfitt got the rights to the name after the court case with Alan Lancaster, that's really not an excuse for not featuring the other members properly for years. Most album covers post 88 showed Francis and Rick. So in many people's eyes, it's now basically down to one 'proper' member. Yes, Rhino and particularly Andy have been there for ages. But they were never allowed to sing lead vocals before, now they have to. And Rick was such an important part of the band for almost 50 years; his singing, songwriting and playing have been such a big part of the band's style that just carrying on with somebody else taking "his role" doesn't feel right to me. Certainly, I feel little desire to see the band in concert again. I just think that they've reached a breaking point for me.

If legally, the Quo name was split up between Francis and Rick, what legal difference does the current lineup have to Francis' solo band?

melstapler likes this.
  3. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

There may be no difference at all between Quo and the FR Band, except ticket selling power and a recording contract.
    The Quo business will be split including Parfitt, so unless they buy his estate out, it will continue to benefit from sales, etc.
    They do have a perfect right to continue to work and earn a living as Status Quo.
    Like in the discussion on here about 'When did The Who die?' there will be huge differences of opinion.

I agree that everything with the Quo name on it should have the whole band on it. Sidelining Bown, Rhino and whichever drummer was in place was shoddy. I think Rhino has had a couple of lead vocals on albums and has got involved with songwriting more recently.

I think we are in for interesting times.

melstapler likes this.
  4. JulesRules

With all the talk about finishing and Francis either retiring or trying another solo venture, I just find they're sort of beating a dead horse now by still carrying on. Certainly Rhino contributing more to the songwriting has something to do with the upwards turn that the studio albums took in the new millennium - and he had contributed two songs which he sang as well (Bad News, Run and Hide) but neither have made it into the live set. Instead he now has to do Rick's songs.

I also find it interesting how the period of newfound creativity pretty much ended with Matt Letley's departure. Leon Cave is not a bad drummer but I've never really warmed to him and the only thing that came from that lineup are the two Aquostic albums...

Also I heard Francis has been offered a solo contract. The lack of success of his last album and tour probably were down to the fact that Quo were still going and people didn't see the point in one of the two front guys without the other one. But it's a different situation nowadays.

melstapler likes this.
  5. 12stringbassist

I wish Francis all the best with his post-Quo career.
    I am fairly sure he will be quick to close the Quo operation down when the final gigs have ended. He'll then be able to sell off their rehearsal space at Shepperton (unless it belongs to Trinifold, which is quite possible), and get rid of the stuff that can be sold and stop paying salaries. The record sales will remain the same on the back catalogue and his solo tours won't cost as much to run.

melstapler and JulesRules like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The latest round of Status Quo Deluxe Editions due out May 26, 2017.

Blue For You

Tracklist:
    CD 1

1. Is There a Better Way?
    2. Mad About the Boy
    3. Ring of A Change
    4. Blue for You
    5. Rain
    6. Rolling Home
    7. That's A Fact
    8. Ease Your Mind
    9. Mystery Song
    CD 2
    1. You Lost the Love – B-Side
    2. Mystery Song - Single Version
    3. Wild Side of Life – B-Side
    4. All Through the Night – B-Side
    5. Wild Side of Life - Demo
    6. Bye Bye Johnny – Osaka *
    7. Caroline – Osaka *
    8. Don't Waste My Time – Osaka *
    9. In My Chair – Osaka *
    10. Roll Over Lay Down – Osaka *
    11. Is There a Better Way – Osaka *
    12. Rain –Osaka *
    13. Honky Tonk Angel - Demo

*Previously unreleased

Just Supposin'

Tracklist:
    CD 1

1. What You're Proposing
    2. Run to Mummy
    3. Don't Drive My Car
    4. Lies
    5. Over the Edge
    6. The Wild Ones
    7. Name of The Game
    8. Coming and Going
    9. Rock 'N' Roll
    CD 2
    1. AB Blues – B-Side
    2. Coming and Going - Writing 1980
    3. Don't Drive My Car - Live - Le Mans 1981 *
    4. Over the Edge - Live - Le Mans 1981 *
    5. Rock N Roll - Live - Le Mans 1981 *
    6. Something 'bout You Baby I Like - Live - Le Mans 1981 *
    7. What Your Proposing - Live - Le Mans 1981 *

*Previously unreleased

It's Never Too Late

Tracklist:
    CD 1

1. Never Too Late
    2. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like
    3. Take Me Away
    4. Falling In Falling Out
    5. Carol
    6. Long Ago
    7. Mountain Lady
    8. Don't Stop Me Now
    9. Enough Is Enough
    10. Riverside
    CD 2
    1. Rock 'N' Roll - Single Version
    2. Don't Stop Me Now - Austrian Flexi Disc *
    3. What You're Proposing - Austrian Flexi Disc *
    4. LP Overview - Austrian Flexi Disc *
    5. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like - Austrian Flexi Disc *
    6. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like - demo acoustic instrumental
    7. Caroline - St Austell 1981 *
    8. Roll Over Lay Down - St Austell 1981*
    9. Backwater - St Austell 1981*
    10. Little Lady - St Austell 1981 *
    11. Don't Drive My Car - St Austell 1981*
    12. Whatever You Want - St Austell 1981*
    13. Hold You Back - St Austell 1981*
    14. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like - St Austell 1981*
    15. Rockin All Over the World - St Austell 1981*
    16. Over the Edge - St Austell 1981*
    CD 3
    1. Rock N Roll - St Austell 1981*
    2. Dirty Water - St Austell 1981*
    3. 4500 Times - St Austell 1981*
    4. Big Fat Mama - St Austell 1981*
    5. Don't Waste My Time - St Austell 1981*
    6. Roadhouse Blues - St Austell 1981*
    7. Rain - St Austell 1981*
    8. Down Down - St Austell 1981*
    9. Drum Solo - St Austell 1981*
    10. Bye Bye Johnny - St Austell 1981*

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. JulesRules

3 CDs for Never Too Late, that's a new one! Not sure I need the flexi-disc versions but nice to get a 20+ minute version of "Forty-Five Hundred Times". And I hope Andy Pearce goes back to dynamic mastering...

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I read somewhere that the live bonus tracks on these exist as bootlegs and are ranked a 3 out 5 on a scale for bootleg shows. I am not sure if these are from another source or not.

melstapler likes this.
  9. JulesRules

Yeah, I alerted them to the fact that these aren't the best-sounding recordings off that tour...

melstapler likes this.
  10. Sergius Wegmuller

Sergius Wegmuller Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the mastering to be found in the 5 Classic Albums box?
    The price is certainly attractive but I guess that's moot if they sound like crap.

vzok and JulesRules like this.
  11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I always loved the singles, with Caroline being my absolute favourite.

I think I'll stream a couple...but where to start?

I'm thinking Piledriver, or Hello.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Sergius Wegmuller

Sergius Wegmuller Forum Resident

74's Quo lp is my favourite but you can't go wrong with anything from Ma Kelly through Blue for You.
    I have a soft spot for Whatever You Want too but that's where I disembark.

Almost Simon and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The perfect start. Their two best for me.

The Bishop likes this.
  14. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Bah, get some beers down you and start at Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon and don't stop till Blue for You has finished. Then get some more beers and listen to the Live album. There's not a single good reason not to follow that course of action.

15. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

My first awareness of Quo was indeed the Live Aid broadcast. One can imagine opening Live Aid as being possibly the most nervewracking little gig ever; I thought they did a great and very cheerful job of it. I've since listened to a fair amount of Quo and like quite a lot of it. Loads of bands from other places have done well virtually everywhere except in the States, which has nothing to do with their merits.

(Parfitt and Rossi's commenting in various documentaries is funny as ****, too, an absolute treat. And I'm sorry that Rick Parfitt has joined this loss parade we are now experiencing.)

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. cookstown

cookstown Forum Resident

That's a lot of Quo and a fair few beers, should probably carry a health warning like "please shake head sensibly".

gotblues, JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Theoretically, if Francis were to keep touring as Quo, I was under the impression it would only be "Aqoustic" shows. If that's the case, I'd rather see Francis live with his solo lineup and hear them play full band electric.

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He is continuing as Status Quo and they are playing electric, but he's lost a lot of goodwill from the hardcore loyal fans recently.

melstapler likes this.
  19. JulesRules

The 5 Original Albums set from a few years back contains the 2005/2006 remasters. The 5 Classic Albums (which I assume you're talking about) was never DR-analysed by anyone but I've heard they are not as loud as the '05 ones. Could well be the Andy Pearce remasters from the deluxe editions, though I have some doubts...

Sergius Wegmuller likes this.
  20. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

But I only drink cider :).

GreenNeedle likes this.
  21. JulesRules

[​IMG]
    ;)

22. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

That recent interview in which he slagged off the Frantic Four reunion, and the fans who bought tickets for it, probably didn't help.

melstapler and Man at C&A like this.
  23. JulesRules

He's an interesting character for sure. Contradictory and often controversial for the sake of it.

By the way, I've finally posted my long-overdue ABA thread here: Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

melstapler and Man at C&A like this.
  24. 12stringbassist

25. 12stringbassist

However, Blue For You is also marred by rubbish quality live recordings - This time from an Osaka gig. The live tracks really are of exceremental quality. Totally sad. P***ing on their fans.
    Blue For You by Status Quo: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.