Game of Thrones - Season VII - July 16-2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm saying the character is boring. That said, his ability to see into the past has been fascinating. I love that aspect.

2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

You're right. But the Door/Hodor scene wasn't exactly a scene that featured Bran. It was about Hodor.

And I personally refer to the R+L=J scene as the one with young Ned.

Technically they were Bran scenes. He just happened to be barely in them.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Maybe I was misunderstood, but I wasn't talking about the Bran character specifically, but rather his contribution to the story. However, I certainly don't find the character "boring".

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Agree to disagree then.

5. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I wish they'd show more of Bran learning info from the past. I know they don't want to get bogged down with it, but I loved those chapters in the book of him "training".

Dinstun likes this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

There's just not enough time....
    I'm just hoping he can 'warg' into one of the dragons! THAT would the plot along!

Cheevyjames likes this.
  7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Was that Yara Greyjoy dangling from the the bow of the ship? Hard to tell, but I lean towards yes. Who else would Euron do that to. The last of the Sand Snakes? Mama?

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Yara's in custody. The women displayed on the bow of the ship were both Sand Snakes.

Chris from Chicago and Dinstun like this.
  9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Also, it's been shown that Bran can actually affect events in the past. It's possible we'll see more of this ability.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  10. vince

Mama's the 'gift' to Cerci!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

As someone else pointed out, it was the two sand-snakes who died - specifically Obara (who you see get speared from behind) and Nymeria, who is strangled with her whip and then hung by it from the bow of the ship. Yara, Elaria and the other sand-snake Tynenne are for the moment alive.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I knew there would be "not-so-smooth-sailing" with Yara's fleet, but I thought it would come while sailing across to Westeros.

I also knew there would eventually be a meeting and possible courtship between Daenerys and Jon, but that would not come until a future season with more politics built between them. This was a good way to kick-start the season. It's progressing faster than I thought.

I had linked my Tivo to Amazon Prime service, but could not use it for HBO One because the Tivo is OTA. I just figured out how to use Prime on the Play Station to get HBO, so now I'm caught up. The first scene of the season really threw me for a loop at first but I quickly realized what was going on. Arya better shut up about wanting to kill the queen or she won't last much longer; I don't care how well she can disguise herself. Cersei has too many spies.

I like that there can be extended sequences with no dialog, but I think they are going a bit overboard with the Sam cleaning the bowls and Daenerys arriving at Dragonstone. Beautifully shot as always, so I shouldn't complain. And her being in Westeros is certainly a huge shift in the dynamics of the show. You really feel the gravity of that. Good to know Jon will be meeting up with her soon.

13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

By the way, the steamy scene with Grey Worm and Missandei got me thinking more and more how GoT uses very traditional "model" types for females but the male sexsymbols are invariably screwed up in various ways compared to traditional leading roles. Jaime now is missing a hand, although the relationship with his sister had already tainted him. The show seems to try elevate male obesity, dwarfism and amputation. The notable exception at this point seems to be Jon Snow. How long before he has something chopped off?

GodShifter likes this.
  14. vince

Well..he HAS come back from the dead..... so, he's kind of a 'zombie'....

15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I wasn't even considering that. He's also a bastard of course.

16. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Didn't Tormund tell everyone Jon's dick was small? :laugh:

vince likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think that was in comparison to his own ...

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think the things you point out about the male characters is that none are your stock 'total badass' guys. Everyone has flaws and it's refreshing. Even the golden haired Adonis Jaime is missing a hand (but grew a conscience).

I suppose the women have their fallibilites as well, but they aren't overtly physical in nature; they're more on the inside.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Take of Melisandre's necklace, and she won't seem such a "traditional model type" anymore! ;)

20. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

:laugh: :bigeek:

21. vince

I hope she takes it off when Davos comes....
    "Eh? What's THAT, sonny?.... no Red Bitch here....."

agentalbert likes this.
  22. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Spelling mistake?

I think you mean "bowels"...

:hurl::hurlleft:

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yep that sequence went on a bit too long. I said out loud to the TV, "ok I get it" and there was probably another 30 seconds worth of it after that.

Also what was up with Sansa openly arguing with Jon in front of the northern allies, including Little Finger? Will she ever grow up and be strategic about things? She rightly casts herself as being hugely naïve when she was younger, but apparently she didn't learn anything. Anyone wishing to exploit her to get to Jon has an easy way in after she broadcasts her disagreements so publicly. Jon even took her aside and said it's ok to question his decisions but not in public, and she took the opportunity to argue with him again. She just doesn't get it.

24. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'm guessing the point of Sansa and Jon not seeing eye to eye will foreshadow an upcoming conflict that'll pit them against each other.

And I don't think she's the naive little princess wannabe she was when the show started. She's been through... and has seen some bad situations. She's watched how Cersei handles things. And she's seen how Tyrion handles things. I suspect anyone expecting her to be the frail pushover is going to be disappointed.

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

True, she isn't a princess wannabe anymore, but she is still extremely naïve and stubborn. The substance of her disagreement with Jon was that she wanted to basically punish the houses (children) of the traitors who had decided to align with Bolton. This showed that a) she is probably just as vengeful, bloodthirsty and dangerous as Cersei if she ever rises to that echelon of power and b) she doesn't understand the value of having strategic alliances, even with winter and an army of the dead on the way. But none of that is as alarming as her willingness to air this disagreement in public. That is how plots arise against the king, especially with Little Finger listening to all her ideas. The fact that she refuses to talk to him in private is pointless since he can hear exactly what she's thinking in public, has spies everywhere and holds sway over an army that is basically responsible for winning Jon the north. I predict he'll exploit her by creating a pretext to attack the castles that just swore allegiance to Jon and arranging it so that it looks like Sansa is responsible. If not that, then something else to drive a wedge between Jon and Sansa. She is a frail pushover, and she has always played right into Little Finger's schemes. I don't see that changing and it's frustrating to watch her repeat similar mistakes. But that's just who she is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.