Musicians who disappeared / left the 'industry'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew J, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

A great loss for music. I’m always hoping he will come back.

PDK, Hallogallo and Ben Adams like this.
  2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

What happened to the other Walker brother.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Which one?

royzak2000 likes this.
  4. Jeffrey Hammond. He quit Jethro Tull after the '75 tour to pursue painting.
    [​IMG]

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Obviously not to pursue a career in men's fashion.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG] < Glenn Hughes supports Jeffrey's career in men's fashion. :winkgrin:

7. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

A huge loss, but I hope she's doing well.

8. Boo Rad

Boo Rad His horse was fast as polished steel

Alex Chilton never fully disappeared but he kept a really interesting low profile for such a major talent.

Fullbug and Joti Cover like this.
  9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That kept him from any Deep Purple royalties. I don't think it would have affected his Captain Beyond career or going out as a solo artist.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

He was recently interviewed in Goldmine. He couldn't convince some restaurant patrons that he was who he said he was!

Boo Rad likes this.
  11. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Meg White

joy stinson likes this.
  12. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

Betty Davis.

[​IMG]

13. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Lyle Mays, who made some great music with Pat Metheny, won a few Grammys as a keyboardists and pianist chucked it all to become a Software Manager.

And if I remember correctly, Skunk Baxter who played some of the best guitar I ever heard with the Doobie Bros and with Steely Dan when to work for the CIA or something like that. It's probably already in this immense thread somewhere.

Yovra and Joti Cover like this.
  14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

This guy was his manager iirc. He was selling cutouts of the Rhino hits collection and I bought one from him and he told me that he was Joe's manager or maybe producer. I'm pretty sure it was manager. $15.99 plus shipping - not a great deal but a good deal as this is a rare item.

Amazon.com Seller Profile: Underthemagnolia CDs

15. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

Agitation Free - Rare Live Footage - ORTF (1973/06/19)

This is the last sight of Jörg "Joshi" Schwenke (Guitar)
    Playing Les Paul on printed pants.

Joshi was fired as a result of his heroin addiction after a concert in the Sound discotheque. By chance we heard about his death on May 14, 1990, when he was found dead in a Berlin subway station, apparently a drug victim.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    hi_watt likes this.
  16. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

The bogus Deep Purple with Evans happened post-Captain Beyond: https://www.thehighwaystar.com/specials/1980/darkside.html

“Deep Purple (Overseas) ltd went to court to prevent the scheduled concerts and press announcement were made. Part of the court rulings was as they found in Purple's favor, Rod Evans was prevented from performing AND lost all his royalties from EMI.

or a someone put it better (from the youtube vid.comments)

Even the forfeiting of future artist royalties(for the first 3 Deep Purple albums) didn't recoup the enormous legal expenses of HEC Enterprises(Deep Purple's 1968-76 management) in suing the fake Deep Purple or satisfy the damages awarded to HEC by the courts. If Rod Evans ever attempted to make music again, any and all profits would be confiscated(by the courts) to satisfy his debt to HEC. His retirement from music isn't voluntary. It's enforced.”

Above comment was taken from this SHTV thread: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rod-evans-1980-deep-purple-live.236663/

seed_drill likes this.
  17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I've had this conversation 100 times, when the Program Director of our Country station. I think Patty is gorgeous btw..... Shania did bring a revolution to Country radio, at the appropriate time, for her. Let's include the Dixie Chicks blowing up, because that created a void, and a lot of females got caught in the blowback of all of that. It's a shame. I'm the Rock guy in the building and I'm still buying Patty's, and MCC's records. Patty's Greatest Hits CD, is in my car, as we speak.

joy stinson likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I mentioned him earlier in the thread and Superfuzz mentioned an interesting interview he gave for the Jazziz Podcast regarding his career and his decision to take a non-music job.

19. Apparently someone's crowdfunded a documentary about her, for which she's come out of "hiding" to participate in.

20. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Oh I know Carlene's back, recording and touring on a regular basis (Ive seen her twice this decade) but after about 1997-98 she was pretty much invisible for about ten years or so save for a brief appearance at a Johnny Cash tribute gig around 2003-04.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

Oh I know Carlene's back, recording and touring on a regular basis (Ive seen her twice this decade) but after about 1997-98 she was pretty much invisible for about ten years or so save for a brief appearance at a Johnny Cash tribute gig around 2003-04.

22. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

I saw that.
    I'm gonna have to donate to that one.

23. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

I can't say Melissa truly disappeared. She has stayed somewhat in the public eye if her fans were paying attention. After her hit run on Arista, she made albums for MCA, Polydor, Atlantic, Capitol, and Koch before finally turning to crown funding her last album and a new one about to come out later this year. She tried acting - appearing with Bette Midler in For The Boys and as the long lost mother on the TV series Blossom. She has toured pretty consistently over the years as well. She has taken a day job as an adjunct professor at USA Thornton School of Music but I think that's more as a supplement to her income and passion for teaching than being forced out of showbiz.

joy stinson, mosogotamravip and DJ LX like this.
  24. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I also have more Patty Loveless music than any other female country singer/act. For me she fits into the arc of Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette and Emmylou Harris, of my favorite women country singers. And if I had to choose, I would probably say she's the best of all of them. As her career waned I didn't, and have yet to, find a new one I like half as much. And yeah her appearance didn't hurt in that regard. I guess she's just my type. But of course it's her voice and choice of material, her mixing different strains of American music, and at least my perception that she is genuine, real, that are what I think she's all about

joy stinson and Jamey K like this.
  25. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

x moore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.