Are you obsessed with a certain artist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SeepSprite, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Currently Bill Evans a little late to the party but making up for lost time

2. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

<------------------

3. Let's see...I wouldn't call them obsessions, now. Back when I was a out of control rock 'n' roll strip club hoppin girl boppin freak- sure...but age, family, etc. dulls that side of it. But I do still have very intense interests, and they are who they were then:

Carole King

Babs (Streisand)

Nana Mouskouri

Mariah Carey

Mary Russell

Heart

Liz And Lynn Anderson

Gracie Slick

Early Reba...

Out of the bunch Mary Russell is my favourite woman singer hands down, with Babs second.

Sexiest out of the bunch- Gracie, Mariah, Babs and 1969-1973 Carole King

4. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Aside from a lifelong fling with the Stones, I became obsessed with Ghost once I picked up "Meliora" about a year ago. Before that day was over, I had ordered the rest of their stuff on Amazon. I like their pop-metal brand of songs, and I am constantly entertained by their tongue-in-cheek satanism and Papa's antics. A buddy and I caught them opening for Maiden a couple of months ago, and the other day he called me and said "is it just me, or do you hear a different Ghost song in your head every day?" I thought about it, and then said "yeah, now that you mention it, I do!"

Kinda bummed about the litigation going on between Forge and the former members, but if it is truly his band/project, it's his right to do what he sees fit, as long as it's on the up and up (which the courts will decide, I suppose). Plus, he seems pretty tireless, squeezing in headlining shows in the middle of the Iron Maiden tour.

5. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Not sure if I'd use the word "obsessed" but I VERY much enjoy the music of The Doors and have, in all honest spent a LOT of $$$ accumulating their music. That said, I also very much enjoy listening to it even though - relative to some other bands - there are not a lot of studio releases out there for them.

6. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

The Who and Pete Townshend
    The Beatles
    Neil Young

7. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

Pink Floyd.

If I need new tires or a tooth capped, it must wait because there's always a new expensive boxset coming out. ;)

8. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Aren't we all obsessed with our favorite artists?

At the top of my list:

Beach Boys
    Captain Beefheart
    Moby Grape
    Syd Barrett
    Al Green
    James Carr
    Kate Bush

9. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

It is, and after all the Blue Notes (60s), Milestone (late 60s-early 70s), Verves (90s) only a few years ago got into his 70s sideman efforts. To name a few albums like:
    Johnny Hammond - Higher Ground
    Patrice Rushen - Prelusion
    Charles Garland - Leaving this Planet
    Luis Gasca - The Little Giant, For Those who Chant, and Born to Love You
    Art Farmer - Yama
    This is Joe's funky period. Those probably are not as well known, but I recommend highly, esp Higher Ground. And then the obvious:
    Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay and Straight Life
    Woody Shaw - Rosewood
    Like you said, a lot of variety and have enjoyed all of them!

10. DGC2001

DGC2001 Forum Resident

Clifford Brown
    Gregory Porter
    The Allman Brothers Band
    etc, etc, etc.:)

11. Leschiens

Leschiens New Member

Jesus and mary chains , slowdive, and souxsie and the banshees

Gavinyl likes this.
  12. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Miles Davis
    Scott Walker
    Nick Cave
    Scritti Politti
    Orange Juice

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm just obsessed with music generally but the bands / artists I'm most obsesssed with are or have been:

Queen - since I was a kid. The first band I had to have everything by.

Blur - not now, but all the way through the 90s these were my favourite band along with Teenage Fanclub, who I was equally obsesssed with.

The Beatles - Of course!

T-Rex and Bowie

Most recently, Peggy Lee - This started through getting a pile of her albums in a charity shop and loving them. I then started to fill in the gaps and ended up buying the majority of her music and there's a lot!

Status Quo - I have a massive soft spot for the Quo. I think the run of albums from 1970 - 1976 is one of the best in rock music. From then onwards they were patchy and often awful! But when they were bad, they were so bad they made me laugh, so I still had affection for them. Quo were always a great live band.

Frosst likes this.
  14. Thatfabulousalien

Thatfabulousalien Well-Known Member

Lately, no.
    In the past, I'm very obsessive over particular artists/musicians/bands

Carl80 likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Postcard era Orange Juice is one of my obsessions too. You Can't Hide Your Love Forever is one of my favourite albums. I'm happy you've mentioned them. I'm less into the Rip It Up onwards line up, but there's still a lot of great music there. I own everything by them.

Gavinyl likes this.
  16. No surprises from me; Chris Squire. I simply love his Fishoutofwater album and i felt very much that he was the backbone of Yes. His playing is magical and i just wish he did more solo albums

Gavinyl likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I think most of Reba's catalogue is pretty good.:)

It's odd that she peaked commercially in the 90s when her material was the least country.. That said, Read My Mind is perhaps my favourite album by her and it's surely her most pop offering.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  18. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

My biggest obsession for the last 20 years has been They Might Be Giants.
    I'm not as obsessed with them as I was since buying a turntable to listen to their fan club singles and then discovering this forum while researching turntables and falling down the vinyl rabbit hole. But I think they'll always be number 1 with me from this point on

19. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

Miles and Zappa.

It helps that there's tons of stuff to get excited about.

Warrior Soul have been the most enduring harder rock obsession for me

20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

When I was younger, I would periodically find a band to become obsessed with. Bauhaus, XTC, The Residents, Bill Nelson, Bowie, Talking Heads, Nick Cave, etc. Now that I am older, I'm not sure I obsess in the same way. There are bands I still listen to constantly (Beatles, Monkees, Throbbing Gristle) but it's more about the sheer joy of music than it is forging an identity through my intense fealty to a particular band or brand. I guess I still get obsessive - I have the collector gene after all, but now it's over silly stuff just for fun, like collecting Charo singles. Hey, someone has to do it. :uhhuh:

[​IMG]

21. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I've had John Cale's Island trilogy - Fear, Slow Dazzle & Helen of Troy -- on heavy rotation of late.

Frosst likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My Byrds obsession is coming back!

24. Billydog

Billydog New Member

I have followed the normal big names for years (Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Who) but I find I do become obsessed now and then with a particular artist or genre. Over the past year I have been obsessed with the whole world of progressive blue grass and it is fantastic. Artists such as Chris Thile. Jerry Douglas, Bella Fleck, Crooked Still etc. There is a whole world of music in that area and its great to find something new that seems to have passed you by.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nick Drake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.