Just heard "Dolby S" ... not bad.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ghostworld, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

My last cassette deck was a nice Denon equipped with Dolby S. That was one of the reasons I bought it. I still have it and it still works fine. I have some material on tape that I never bothered to digitize, that's when I fire up the cassette deck.

Dolby S was great, it just came too late and was never widely adopted.

GuildX700 likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks...I know Sony made the CD players for Ford back then (not marked as such on the faceplate), so I'm guessing they made the DAT players too.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

That is so cool! :cool:

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Also made by Alpine. I never owned any Alpine gear, but it had a real cool rep in the late 80s, early 90s.

[​IMG]

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've never seen those either, thanks. I'm very curious to eventually see the Ford one. The Ford/JBL systems of that era were very nice...

PhilBiker and McLover like this.
  7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The stereo in that XR7 was great, I loved the car, supercharged V6, 5 speed manual, active ride suspension, when you would get down on it it would automatically firm up the suspension.

PhilBiker, MMM and McLover like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That XR7 was a lean, lithe, agile Cat! And only found at The Sign Of The Cat!

GuildX700 likes this.
  9. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I used to own a Tascam DA45HR, which was a 24-bit recorder (maximum 48khz) that used DAT 's. It came out around 1999, which was the near extinction point for the format, even for professional use.

PhilBiker and Dubmart like this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd count 24/48 as hi res, especially in 1999, that extra bit depth should make a real difference, a shame nobody coupled it with 96kHz double speed DAT.

11. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

There was no source material to benefit from the extra hi-rez back then.
    CD was low res, and live recordings suffered from mic pre-amp noise.

So, what you wanted to record in hi-rez on your DAT, back then? Scratched records? AM radio?

Best regards

anorak2 likes this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd have used it as a master recorder in the studio, although I concede that the rest of the chain would have been lower res, even so I'd be happier in 2017 with 24/96 masters than 16/44 and 16/48, it would also have been good for copying 1/4 inch and live recordings, fed from the desk, funnily enough I did record some FM broadcasts to DAT back in the nineties, but I generally copied them off to cassette as DAT tapes were expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.