Beatles purchases you regret making

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I remembered another one. I bought a book once of memorabilia photographs. I gave it a quick look in the shop but it looked nice so I bought it. It was only by Geoffrey Guiliano wasn't it? 90% of the book was '[standard album's cover] as autographed for the author by Legs Larry Smith or Denny Laine'. 1 per page. I should have looked closer before I bought that one. I can't think of another Fabs book I regret really, I'm quite careful that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
    NumberEight likes this.
  2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

None (although the 50th Anniversary Sgt. Pepper box was overpriced).

3. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

My experiences and perception of Starting Over were completely different.
    All positive.
    The song was well received for it's arrangement, lyrics and genuineness.

goodiesguy, ZippyPippy and gja586 like this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

None, but as a kid I bought a grey market release of the Decca sessions, missing the original songs and Money and Till There Was You, and was confused. I couldn't tell if it was The Beatles or not and felt a bit cheated.

6. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

The Beatles Story

Hardy Melville and Bern like this.
  7. APH

APH Forum Resident

Those rental tapes were so expensive as they were meant to be very high quality, and able to withstand repeated plays. A film fanatic friend of mine collected VHS videos back then. He did it by befriending the owner of the local video shop, amd then waiting til a title he wanted had 'cooled', before offering to buy it cheap.

edenofflowers likes this.
  8. APH

APH Forum Resident

I saw that for £5, new, about a year after release. I didn't buy it, and the fact I totally forgot about it til now suggests I made the right decision.

mrjinks and NumberEight like this.
  9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention......

:wave:

10. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

As far as the Beatles go - I agree. But there have been a few.

11. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I think HELP! Is a great box set, love the lobby cards. To each his own.

DrBeatle and DRM like this.
  12. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Same here, paid a lot more though... now thinking of it, same goes for the US album box, looks great, never play it ...

13. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Not regrets but like the addict, I need to trim down my collection. Not sure how strong the second hand market is though for stuff like Beatles Ballads, Love Songs, 20 Greatest hits etc. Similarly many of my Japanese copies need to go. I thought they sounded alright in the days when I had a cheaper system. I have many first or early UK pressings. I will need to sort through and only keep the very best...or maybe I need a back up in case of accidental damage!

14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I regret buying the 2009's from Help on.

The 87's were "good enough".

Except for Let It Be, because I never bought the 87 CD.

And the White Album, since I found the 87 CD to be boxy and clunky sounding...almost monochromatic, although I know some disagree.

15. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

My feelings exactly.

Oatsdad likes this.
  16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

They released quite a good album and a couple of singles the following year. Definitely worth a listen.

17. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

"The Beatles "Live in Moscow 2007 - 5CD Deluxe set."
    I still think there's something not quite right about it but I can't put my finger on it.
    Still it was cheap enough.

18. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

"Anthology 1" and "Love."

19. milco

milco Forum Resident

I bought a 'Let it be' vinyl bootleg (on the 'Ruthless rhymes' label) from a shop called Magical Mystery Store, Liverpool in about 1978. It cost me £7.50 (a month's pocket money, which would have bought at least two normal albums back in the day) but the sound absolutely sucked.....scratchy, crackly, tenth-generation copy done on a wax cylinder. I lent it to a friend, never bothered asking for it back and forgot all about it. Around 25 years later I visited said friend and found the thing still languishing in his record collection!

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I agree it's a nice set; I just thought the cost was prohibitive... When the deluxe MMT box came out, I held, and got that for $25 or so - much better.
    For that price, you shoulda grabbed it!

Colocally likes this.
  21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I bought some grey market(but really pirate) Japanese CDs before the official CDs were released in 87. They were expensive (maybe $30 each) and there were 8 volumes. They were in stereo but sounded like they'd been mastered from cassette. I bought them from a legit retail outlet that carried some import cds so I thought they were possibly legit. Bought a few other such oddities, like one that was 1/2 Paul solo & 1/2 John solo. Total waste of money looking back on it. However in the totality of my collection my purchase regrets are minimal.

22. APH

APH Forum Resident

When I saw it, I grabbed it quickly, but then saw that it was a massive box, but with nothing I wanted inside, so I left it.
    I went back the next day, and picked it up again, looked at it, and again left it.

23. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Have to disagree with you regarding the Great Dane BBC Box. Granted , fan editions (ie; Purple Chick) surpassed it in terms of sound quality but it would be over 10 years before that happened. As you said even the early 70's bootlegs were a thrill to own and listen to for a while. Expensive? it sure was . I paid $185 when it was released in 1993..but what a beautiful set!

24. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

1. The two BBC albums on vinyl. The vinyl was a bit noisy and I like the sound of the CDs much better. A total waste of $90 (Canadian).
    2. Original mono pressing of With The Beatles. The first three or four tracks sounded great, but the last three were unlistenable because of groove wear.

25. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

All of them. I bought every release and kick myself every time after I get it home and play it. Could these guys ever make a consistant lp? Really? Yep over 100 regreatable purchases and counting.

Jerry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.