Donovan: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I think the Barabajagal album is underrated. The man who wrote the liner notes for the CD reissue (who may even have been Mr. Leitch under and assumed name) doesn't seem to think much of it, but I think it's solid (apart from the very silly - even for the time - I Love My Shirt). The demos tagged onto the end of it are excellent, imo.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Shirt" Got "Right Said Fred "a gig. :
    Seriously ! I like all of the them
    The Hurdy Gurdy Man
    is
    another goodie LP.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Rickchick likes this.
  3. alexpop

[​IMG]

Anybody hear the Sundazed MONO 50th Anniversary edition?

joelee and driverdrummer like this.
  4. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Actually at the time, early '90s, I was convinced that Right Said Fred were Donovan-inspired. 'Deeply Dippy' ... 'Epistle To Dippy'. And 'Deeply Dippy' does have a 'Mellow Yellow' vibe, similar tempo and brass.

I'll get me coat before I start something I shouldn't...... :D

Peace N. Love and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

Madonna liked their catwalk.

Donovan has fans everywhere, maybe even Henry Rollins. :)

6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Right on. If we got into the personal life of every artist (all have their flaws...Lennon, Jagger, Buckley, Young, and so on...) and used that as a litmus test to love or hate their music, we would have very few albums in our collections, and not much to talk of here but gossip and bile. It is music that lifts us above the madding crowd, and a big thanks to the artists that create it. (anyway, it has been said that oftentimes, along with true genius, comes a bit of crazy). Love the music, forgive the crazy. No one is perfect--we all, mostly, have our small or large flaws too.

I do admit there are artists that I will never listen to because of their extreme hate-filled and abusive natures in the public arena & personal lives, no matter how good their music is.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Guy E and zobalob like this.
  7. lemonade kid

I like "I Love My Shirt"...a tongue in cheek observation of outward vanity maybe or just plain fun. And a catchy tune.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

So camp and outrageous, so lovely.

9. lemonade kid

Well put, alexpop!

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Donovan In Concert 1967.
    [​IMG]
    Keep meaning to get the expanded EMI Concert 2 CD version which came out in 2006. Original charted well in the USA in 1968, at 18 # in album charts ..no less.

Rickchick, Hep Alien and lemonade kid like this.
  11. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Donovan = totally cool

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I thought about that post, and it was very interesting. I don't think this will offend anyone despite being not on the specific subject of Donovan, but I did have one observation about it, fwiw.

The post by Classicolin amounts to a sort of picture taken of what amounts to a specific time in history, that being of a cultural sort, obviously, concerning his age cohort and their views on popular music from prior decades. No doubt he felt he accurately rendered the assessments of the bands and acts mentioned, and I do not quarrel with those assessments.

But I do think the assessments vary over time, and change sometimes significantly. In other words the notion that a particular band from the past might be popular for a time does not mean they will remain so when another "picture" is taken at some later point. For example I remember quite well that for a time there in the mid 80's it seemed that The Doors were quite popular with late teens and early twenty somethings. And then less so later, while I again think somewhat more so now than when their popularity was at its lowest, but not (yet?) near that mid 80's peak. Just one example.

Not to sound too old school myself, but in general I felt in agreement with the critical observation that for lack of a better term younger people there were not valuing the actual craft of music making, in specific in the recent past. But that may be changing, and I certainly hope is not an attitude that is in effect permanent going forward. Because as the Jefferson Airplane once said

Life is Change
    How it differs from the rocks

Hep Alien and Guy E like this.
  13. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Yes. It's very nice. Correct mono mix and a very clean pressing. I have a mint original, and the Sundazed sounds very similar - only quieter than the original Epic pressing.

GetHappy!!, Rickchick and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

Dedicated mix ?

15. alexpop

Velvet Underground still has the cool factor that I think The Doors lost after Oliver Stone's movie.

notesfrom likes this.
  16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

No-one's made a stupid feature film about them starring Val Kilmer yet.

Guy E likes this.
  17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I love Donovan but can't stand listening to him talk. He's so precious and narcissistic.

18. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

I've started listening to him just recently and I think he's good. Of course he's not any Dylan but at the same time he does kinda deserve the title "The British Equivalent Of Bob Dylan".

19. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Oh, yes.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Why would you say that?

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

:cheers:

22. alexpop

1966 onwards nothing like Dylan.

23. Dylan's Blonde On Blonde and Donovan's Sunshine Superman albums were both recorded in Spring 66, with Blomde on Blonde being actually released before Superman.

Now , listen to the straight ahead rockier songs on both albums and tell me they don't have a strikingly similar sound? Amazing.

24. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

There is only one of what I would describe as a "straight ahead rockier song" on Sunshine Superman and that is 'The Trip'.

25. A friend of mine produced and recorded Donovan Rising Again in the mid 80s. He gave me a copy of this double cd. Worth a listen for the true fan.

Hep Alien and alexpop like this.