Appetite for Destruction: Happy 30th Birthday!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stephen J, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Finally got an SHM cd of this album. Should have it by next week.

Great album great memories great fun. Wore out my friends cassette and he had to buy the cd to replace it all in 1987. 1987 was a fun year, 30 years ago, time flies. Hope this thread has and gets more life. Great thread Stephen J. :edthumbs::cheers: :goodie:

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Yep. It was in heavy rotation at my college station Summer/Fall '87. Quite a changeup from the usual fare at the station that year: "Girlfriend In A Coma", "Alex Chilton", "Just Like Heaven", "Lips Like Sugar". But it was a steamroller of an album, and everyone at the station was just waiting for it to bust out and sell a gazillion copies. Slash's tone on AfD is probably my favorite guitar sound of all time.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  3. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Absolutely no to remastered stereo album. The Barry Diament mastered CD is just about perfect; seriously. I've listened to lots of versions of this album (LP and CD) and trust me the original CD is great.

All other suggestions, yes.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  4. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

So we are celebrating 30th anniversaries for Def Leppard Hysteria, Whitesnake 1987 and Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction.

Wow!!

I remember buying all three back in the day. Loved each of these three back in the day; and still love them all to this day.

1987, not a bad year for commercial hard rock looking back.

5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

After '87 the labels really began over saturating the market with weak knock off bands. That was the beginning of the end. '87 was the pinnacle year for pop metal. It was F'N great!

dlb99 likes this.
  6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

If we're talking 1987 hard rock, I'll add Dokken's "Back for the Attack". Still love that one.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. artfromtex

Yes, indeed. I would add Faster Pussycat's debut and The Cult's "Electric" into the mix as well.

And Elektra had the Georgia Satellites and the Crue's "Girls, Girls, Girls".

Good stuff! :righton:

Standoffish likes this.
  8. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Meh....most overrated album 0f all time. Emperor's new clothes IMHO.

9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

You've heard the song Sweet Child O' Mine is from?

I like both the original song and Sweet Child O' Mine. I love the guitar on Sweet Child O' Mine. It elevates to another level for me. I love that song.
    I like Paradise City too - I think they're the best songs on the album.

10. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Slash's guitar tone on the entire album is absolutely killer, not just on Sweet Child O' Mine.

We got to give props to Mike Clink who extracted an amazing sound from this band, big and raw, and not screetchy or digital. Compared to contemporaries also celebrating their 30th anniversary, Del Leppard Hysteria and Whitesnake 1987, this is easily the best sounding of the three.

shaboo, Szeppelin75 and artfromtex like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was already 34 years but still still loved it. I still have a MFSL gold CD.

12. artfromtex

How can the "emperor" analogy apply to, at the time, a brand new, unknown band?

proedros and 905 like this.
  13. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Exactly, guy doesn't know what he's talkin' 'bout

14. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

... and compared to these contemporaries this is also the only one that stood the test of time.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. It's funny how GnR got some support from college/alternative rock radio early on. As I alluded to earlier, the first place I heard Appetite was on a public radio show usually geared toward more indie/alternative/fringe types of music. The show would never have played Motley Crue or Dokken, but the fact that GnR made the cut indicates they had something different goin' on.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I was 26 when this came out.Didn't really do anything for me.Perhaps because I was into the late 60s-70s rock.I remember my 12 year old brother was a huge fan.

17. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Stray fact: The album was recorded at Rumbo Recorders, owned by the Captain and Tennille (at the time).

18. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Great album all around...love Welcome to the Jungle and the little "Whole Lotta Love" tribute in the middle along with the solo. I have never been able to stand Paradise City though, that solo at the end is annoying as the ending solo to Freebird. They are a band that peaked and burned out fast. Saw them in 92 I believe and Skid Row opened up for them and absolutely smoked their asses. Guns was a hour late to take the stage and were terrible, I left after about an hour of their set having had enough. From what I have seen on youtube of there latest tour they're still about the same. When they hit in 87/88 though they kicked ass.

19. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Looks like some there is some big Appetite for Destruction news coming...

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses-announce-appetite-destruction-reunion-uk-tour-2306098

My money is on either a reissue, or a tour where they play the entire album.

But if the latter, it would be with the current line up and maybe with an occasional Izzy cameo.

You see, Steven Adler's been talking smack about the reunion recently. And with that he has surely killed any chance he had of being invited back.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  20. Orthogonian Blues

Aaaaaaaannnndd...

Take a look at this website, which was set up by Universal Records

https://www.gnr.fm

An announcement is coming in just over 2 days!

21. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

I just cant see a tour announcment. Why would they? They have just proved that the money is there without Steven and Izzy and have spent two years touring ( with more to come this Summer already selling without an Appetite marketing spin)

Is got to be a deluxe edition of some sort. Id be disappointed if its a remaster with the likes of The Ritz gig thrown in.

Would love to hear actual studio outtakes or alternate mixes
    Would love to see a good Appetite era documentary with some unseen goodies

Also press for the Not in this Lifetime tour was minimal. We still haven't really seen these guys talk publicly since they made up (apart from that one Duff/Axl awkward interview). Would be great to see them participate in a documentary where we can hear some stories from the perspective of them all being friends and the mutual respect restored.

Two days and counting...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Orthogonian Blues

It's got to be a re-release with some additional material. Delve into the official gnr.fm website I posted earlier, and you hear snippets of 'Shadow Of Your Love'

I guess the non album b-sides like Shadow and various 'Live At The Marquee 1987' tracks will be included. I already have these on vinyl, so I hope also for studio outtakes, unreleased live shows, demos etc.

One thing is for certain though. If the package contains a 'loudness war' remaster of the album, I'm not having it. Even if Axl hand delivers it to my home and makes me a cheeseburger.

23. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Great record. Mr Brownstone! Still have it on lp and a cassette i made from my lp. Has the original cover. I like both covers.

I remember hearing Sweet Child of Mine on MTV and just sayin', this is it, finally something as good as stuff i dug that was all in the past. Still remember that feeling. So good.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  25. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

OMG I'm old!!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.