Interpol - Our Love to Admire 10th Anniversary reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richbdd01, Aug 17, 2017.

1. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Well maybe not as I said above it could be G L instead of G I and R M may be RC. It is very small and squiggly and that would fit in with Gavin Lurssen Mastering done by Reuben Cohen

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

He wouldn't cut lacquers, I don't think....it will be remastered by Gavin Lursen and then a file would have been sent to wherever for someone to cut a lacquer...

A lot of recent Interpol vinyl has been cut using pre mastered digital files by Greg Calbi and then Ray Janos usually cuts the lacquer. Therefore, it will be a very similar scenario here...

3. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Ok so may well be this Reuben guy mastered it at Gavin Lurssen mastering as per the sleeve notes then they may have sent it to Ron McMaster to cut a lacquer. Either way I will listen to it tomorrow and see if it sounds good on my headphones. I am pretty sure the 2nd letter is an M. It does not look like C even if it is hard to read the 2nd letter.

richbdd01 likes this.
  4. richbdd01

Yeah exactly..and then maybe GZ pressed...

5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I have the black vinyl version from Amazon UK. Assuming this is the same cut as the clear vinyl version, there are no human matrix markings on all four sides at all. Just machine stamped numbers. For example, side A

5774652-A
    15949E1/A

6. gohill

gohill Senior Member

The coloured is different then. It has the long catalogue number starting with B002.. scratched (not machine stamped) into all 4 sides alongside the G-1 R(M?) so probably a different (maybe US cut) one for the ltd version.

englishbob likes this.
  7. englishbob

If that is the case, what a mess this is going to be then!

8. gohill

gohill Senior Member

It is starting to look possibly like the standard black edition may have an EU (GZ maybe) and USA cut and the ltd clear vinyl is all a batch from the USA cut. Either way the proof will be in the pudding as to how each sounds.

9. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I got the smokey clear vinyl today. Looks good to me. Won't be able to listen to it for a while, however.

10. englishbob

Will give it a listen tomorrow. Different cuts piss me off, so its hard to see the no-effort black Euro version trouncing the US version where it looks like someone actually cut it with some effort.

11. richbdd01

GZ in house cuts can sound good, I think they use DMM and from a digital source, its all much of a muchness whoever cuts it. A lot depends on what Gavin Lursen has done to this and what files he has supplied to GZ or Ron M at Capitol (i.e. Whether he has left much room for dynamics).

12. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I bought the hi-res download. Going to give it a listen tomorrow.

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

We've just had this topic in a The Cure thread. GZ in-house cuts are usually not a good sign when there is a US cut done by a cutter with an actual name. See the RSD release of "Kiss Me". The US got a Bellman cut while the EU got an anonymous GZ cut.

Just checked this and the new "OLTA" is also released in Europe by Universal. Definitely would go for the US release then. Because it's definitely a possibility that they supplied GZ with whatever digital master they just had at hand.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    punkmusick and englishbob like this.
  14. Neonbeam

Well.... in 2007 I just bought one copy per new album and in "OLTA"'s case I was proud to get the US pressing. Haven't listened to it in ages.
    Sorry but I think "Antics" is as great as "Turn On The Bright Lights".

punkmusick and Boomy like this.
  15. englishbob

Yes this is an annoying practice which shouldn't really be happening. The only real reason it happens is just sloppy laziness and no input or quality control from the band whatsoever, even though their public facing outlets push the product.

Its depressing to read that The Cure, a UK based band, got shafted on the Euro release.

Still, another lesson learned that I really should not be pre-ordering records anymore, especially when they are from major labels such as Sony and Universal. A £31 mistake.

Paully and Neonbeam like this.
  16. richbdd01

But its likely the same digital master that was done by Lursen...i think it only matters when the US gets the tape but both are probably using the same file.

17. Neonbeam

Can't wait to hear reviews.

I'm a bit disappointed because - don't asked me why - somehow I expected this release to look like the "Turn On The Bright Lights" 10th Anniversary, a hardbound book cover with vinyl and dvd. Not I see that there is a cd/ dvd combo and a plain double vinyl with (limited) our without (standart) dvd.

richbdd01 likes this.
  18. mogwai3

mogwai3 Well-Known Member

Give El Pintor a spin. It's totally worth it, and their strongest effort since Antics. It's got a great opening track which sets the tone for the rest of the album. They seem hungry and set a pace with very accessible tunes throughout. Essential tracks are: My Desire, Everything is Wrong, and fantastic closer Twice As Hard. Let me know what you think...

punkmusick, Neonbeam and richbdd01 like this.
  19. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Well i have finally listened to all 4 sides and i am fairly pleased with it. Nice flat pressing with no ticks or non fill or noticeable clicks. Sound is pretty good and not overly compressed which i feared. Happy i got this.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    richbdd01 likes this.
  20. richbdd01

Anyone got a review of the GZ pressing?

21. englishbob

Get the US pressing. This isn't a review of the GZ version, but it can't be better than the US cut because it wasn't cut by a robot

22. Neonbeam

Errrrr.... I just looked at my Capitol original and what did I see???? Spare me the suspense.

"GI (1?) and "RM". On all four sides. How does that grab ya? And what does it mean?? Maybe some sort of "in joke" to confuse the likes of us????

23. richbdd01

I might pick up a copy later...

24. richbdd01

Ok just went to my local Fopp (part of HMV for those who don't know) and they only had the copy with DVD. They wanted £34 for it. They can f&@k themselves...

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. richbdd01

Ok I picked it up from Sister Ray for £26.99, so we shall see what I get and what it sounds like soon...

Neonbeam likes this.