Nicest / most personable musician you've met?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sinead O'Connor very polite this would be around 1990.

DTK and PsychedelicWheelz like this.
  2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Dennis Dunnaway

He spent hours just sat chatting away to fans after an ACG conference I attended in the 80's. Told some amazing stories
    & signed everything put in front of him!

clhboa likes this.
  3. omom

omom Forum Resident

The Buzzcocks once gave me all the beer out of their dressing room fridge.

4. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

During the 90s, I worked for a small club in Berlin. One night, a group of young Americans stepped up to the box office and said: 'We're the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Are we on the guest list or should we pay?' Absolutely polite, zero attitude.

All their first names only were on the list, so I waved them through. I don't remember who played our club that night, but the RHCP played in front of 20,000 people the day after.

I met lots of musicians in those days, but this small episode stuck with me forever.

drift, keyXVII, Fullbug and 6 others like this.
  5. PsychedelicWheelz

PsychedelicWheelz Forum Resident

Awesome story and photo!

6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Of course he's super nice...he's Canadian!

7. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I don't have many encounters to relate, but Garland Jeffreys is just the nicest guy you could ever meet. I've had the opportunity to talk to him a number of times after shows, and he's always very gracious. The last time my Dad and I saw him in Cambridge, MA we had a really nice chat with his long time guitarist Alan Freedman, and reminisced about a bunch of shows where we had seen both of them. Then later on we got to talk with Garland and got a chance to thank him for coming up to "see us" for a change (rather then us always going to NYC to see him.) He laughed and agreed he didn't get up to the Boston area often enough. Then he talked to us for a good ten minutes about some of the different clubs and theaters he's played in the area over the years.

8. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

That’s so true. Every Canadian I’ve ever met, which is quite a few, has been quite good-natured, easy-going, and just all-around personable, friendly people.

9. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

Ten years ago. Chris Duarte played a daytime show at a local music store. Got a picture with him and the bs'd for a few minutes. Last week he played locally again. I was there and showed him the pic we had taken. I got another one with him last week! Was so down to earth and friendly. He remembered taking that picture ten years ago to. He made the comment that his hair was almost completely grey. lol. I added that I had gained thirty pounds and he laughed about that.

That's my story.

clhboa likes this.
  10. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I saw Steve Howe do a solo show at a club in Timonium, Md, and after his set he sat/stood on the stage lip and talked with anyone who approached him - very nice bloke.

Fullbug likes this.
  11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Steve Hackett

SuntoryTime likes this.
  12. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Ian Hunter - When I introduced myself he told me about someone he knew with the same name. He was excited to tell me about him too. I guess it brought back a good memory.

Todd Rundgren - Actually my brother met him, but I like story. He met Todd at a restaurant and they were at the table next to him and got to talking. Todd's party left first. When my brother's party asked for their check, they found out Todd had picked up the tab. Very cool!

13. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Had the same experience with Chick Corea.
    I brought room service up to him and he was very friendly and nice to me.

DTK and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Suzy Bogguss
    Jimmy Fortune (Statler Brothers tenor )
    Bill Anderson
    Leroy Van Dyke

clhboa likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My sweet lordy. :righton:

16. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Funny to hear Robin Zander mentioned. I met him briefly while CT were doing a meet-and-greet at a record store I had just begun to work at, and I happened to show up just before they were going out to the floor. I walked into the back "employees only" area, and everyone was busy so the boss just told me to keep an eye on the back door, which was an anonymous steel door that wasn't going the be breached any time soon. And unbidden, Zander walks right up to me and shakes my hand, simple as that. Most of the other employees were out doing crowd control, so I was pretty lucky that day.

17. Einar Einarsson Kvaran

Einar Einarsson Kvaran King of his castle

Jonathan Richman. Called my daughter up at midnight, during his break and sang her favorite song to her.

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Thanks, we try!:cheers:

Mirror Image likes this.
  19. markmorb

markmorb Forum Resident

A few years back I went to a screening of the film "Koyaanisqatsi" at The Barbican, London....Philip Glass (and his ensemble) were playing the score live to accompany it.
    The whole evening was fantastic and I headed off to the Hotel, decided to have a couple in the hotel bar and to my surprise there sat Philip Glass quietly with another gentleman....I decided to pop over and say how much I'd enjoyed the performance and ended up having a very pleasant chat with Mr Glass before he introduced me to his companion who was none other than Godfrey Reggio the director of Koyaanisqatsi another very pleasant man....the whole conversation was very relaxed, interesting, and it was only my own sense of intruding on their evening that made me cut the conversation short and leave them to it....perfect end to an already great evening...

nosticker, Runicen, Mark B. and 2 others like this.
  20. I don't care for Geddy's voice, or Rush's music, but if he's kind to fans and loves baseball, he's a great American in my book, even though he's Canadian.

21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I was at that too. I attended a pre-performance talk with Mr. Glass and was struck at how very 'normal' he was, despite the breadth and accomplishments of his career.

That meeting you encountered sounds like you could've walked into some real-life equivalent of My Dinner With Andre, which is like a dream for me.

markmorb likes this.
  22. markmorb

markmorb Forum Resident

Yes, he was very normal, more interested in how far I'd travelled to get there (only about 100 miles) and joking about how he had come much further, really went out of his way to bring Reggio into the conversation and make sure that I was aware of who he was regarding the film, etc....guess all those years as a Plumber/Taxi Driver helped to keep Glass pretty grounded....

MRamble likes this.
  23. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Wasnt this at Gilmour's birthday party in 1996?

24. CokeMachine

CokeMachine Forum Resident

Actually it was at a party held in honor of Damon Hill winning the Formula 1 Drivers Championship. George was into his Formula 1 - and I believe friends with Damon Hill, so he was at the party.

Further to this - George also asked if my wife's mother would like an autograph - and astonishingly she said no - she said she already had an autograph from him in the 60's when she was working as a waitress.

But according to her (my wifes mom) she has no idea where the actual autograph from the 60's is...

And every time I hear this story I want to bang my head against the wall. :doh:

I'm not entirely sure either realize how important this is to me...

25. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Amazing! I have a friend who were in a Emerson Fittipaldi party in Miami in 1996, there were dozens of tables there, he sat in one, and a few seconds after that, Emerson sat in, and guess what? George sat there. My friend coudnt believe that happened. Something outta of this world right? He said George only asked from cold water!

john lennonist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.