Procol Harum - A Salty Dog - MFSL SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Is that tape damage apparent on the title track of the MFSL silver now gone?

2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

You have an interesting take on it all as many here have disavowed the Salvo Salty Dog mainly for being overly compressed, etc. I'm curious as to what exact passages on the SACD you are hearing the "nasty warbly distorted sound" on as well because I'm not experiencing it. I would attempt to hear what you are.
    I might have actually been happy with the Esoteric but find the new MFSL to be richer, clearer, more revealing, snappier, intimate, emotional and powerful. It sounds wonderful to me at both low and high volumes as well.
    My appreciation of ASD has deepened as a result. Looking forward to opinions on the vinyl presently.

3. I have the Salvo and never noticed the aberration. I guess next time I will now. :tiphat:

Rickchick likes this.
  4. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I got mine yesterday, and am mesmerized. It's great.

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Which one - vinyl or SACD?

6. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Not hearing the 'warbly distorted sound' that you are, but maybe my systems (Auidolab CD Pre Power / Mission Speakers) is not as sophisticated as yours. Mine is hyper source critical, but the redbook layer on the new ASD sounds stunning as does the old mofi version as well.

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

I noticed it first at the beginning of 'Too Much Between Us' when listening on headphones. It's mainly in the right channel and is there at the end of the track as well during the fade-out. You have to crank the volume up to hear it, so it's not really all that bad. The Salvo version doesn't have it though, so it really shouldn't be there on a premium-priced audiophile disc. Perhaps Salvo used some sort of noise reduction or other processing, which might go some way towards explaining the compromised fidelity. I'm not a fan of the Salvo Procol Harum releases; Edmonton was a particular disappointment, with its foward and aggressive sound. I have the MFSL silver of that one and that's too much the other way; not really much better than the Chrysalis version. Anyway, I digress; this thread is about A Salty Dog. If nobody can hear what I'm hearing, I could put some samples in a shared Dropbox folder.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Please MFSL, bring on the debut and Shine on Brightly.

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

:agree: x 1,000,000

Lars-Olof Ström likes this.
  10. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I don't doubt you have heard it, I think I haven't because I have listened at relative low volume on the HiFi compared to cranking it on headphones. I am sure someone else has mentioned this with regards to the old mofi as well so it looks like the same source tape was used for the new one. I will play the new one again with more volume. I do like the Salvo of Edmonton, but agree that the mofi is too laid back, although it does have some merits like the choir sound.

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
  11. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Shine On Brightly or Grand Hotel.
    Or the first album.

Ah, heck, all of the above!

bhazen and Lars-Olof Ström like this.
  12. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Vinyl.

13. George P

All the above is my vote! :wave:

Lars-Olof Ström likes this.
  14. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I want a Steve Wilson of Grand Hotel next

Dingo and Oyster Boy like this.
  15. Just got and played the new MoFi Salty LP. Very highly recommended.

16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

No, George P. stated earlier on the thread that it is still there. I guess it is the same source as the MFSL Silver CD albeit with a darker eq.

George P likes this.
  17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, the darker EQ sounds promising. The MFSL silver was too bright, IMO.

What's weird is that the German Cube CD does not have that damage on the title track. It also is darker and for CD has been my choice since reading about it here.

303 Squadron likes this.
  18. George P

I am quoting my OP as a reminder of the thread topic, which, as you can see, does not include vinyl.

19. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think I'd miss the bonus tracks (non-LP singles) too much for those albums.

20. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I agree with you. Be nice to have the US versions on MFSL.

21. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I'm kind of late to the discussion, but here's part of the review I posted on Procol Harum's Facebook page back in July (for the record, very few of the members of that page are audiophiles):

"At precisely 8:00PM this evening, I coerced the SED vacuum tubes into a state of alertness and poured myself a glass of vino. At 8:20PM I inserted the older MFSL CD (MFCD 823) into my player and played “The Devil Came From Kansas”. I then played the same song (CD layer) from new MFSL(UDSACD 2192) release and felt that there was virtually no difference in quality. The newer release may have exhibited slightly more vocals presence, or the wine was taking its desired effect. I then played the same song from the Salvo release. Surprisingly, this CD had a lot more mid-range warmth and presence than either of the MFSL releases. Whether this was an artificial enhancement or not, I don’t know, but it sounded better to these old ears. My feeling was that it was similar to comparing properly mastered vinyl and CD versions. In virtually all cases, the CD will have better low-end (bass) response, but the vinyl will have better mid-range response and warmth. As this is where 80% of music is heard, vinyl will always sound better when sourced from the same masters as the digital equivalent. I repeated the listening experiment with “Juicy John Pink”, “Wreck of the Hesperus” and my favourite, “Pilgrim’s Progress” from all three versions and came to the same conclusion.

I played the SACD layer afterwards and it exhibited better high and low-end responses, although the mid-range was still not as good as the Salvo release. I did not play my Westside, Repertoire nor Japanese Cube copies. So....if I had to pick a favourite, it would certainly be the 2009 Salvo release. The comparison with the Esoteric release will have to wait until tomorrow......as will more vino."

303 Squadron and Pete Puma like this.
  22. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

As someone who loves the album but owns only the Westside and Esoteric versions, I'll be looking forward to your comparison to the latter.

23. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I never did compare the above copies to the Esoteric, but will try to get around to it shortly. :)

brianvargo likes this.
  24. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Thank you!

25. George P

I have to say that I am surprised to read this. While I didn't hear huge differences in the two, I did hear clear differences in the upper frequencies, with the old Mofi CD being more open. And I especially noticed this on the song you used to compare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.