Moving From NJ --> Austin TX Worried About Vinyl Warp 100F All Month

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The old trash records at every thrift make great filler when you pack records. Put three or four on either end to protect the valuable ones in the middle. I would use a couple even if carrying on.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

6th is where all the Blueshammer bands play.

Aura likes this.
  3. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Well, there is The Parish (even though it seems 3Ten is now pulling artists that would have played there). Also, I always enjoy BD Riley's especially open mic. A wealth of talent and varied genres on any given night.

Synthfreek likes this.
  4. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

HUT'S HAMBURGERS
    807 West 6th Street
    Highly recommended, also try a shake.

5. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I ship LPs here all the time. Some days I think it might be a bad day for a delivery if I am at work or out of town but have never had a problem. That said, to be sure a pile of valuables are not left sitting out, if I was not going to be there to receive it, I'd use the 'hold at location option' with Fed Ex or UPS. Just a couple of weeks ago something was being delivered when I was out of the country, so I just asked Fed Ex to hold via their website and no problem, it was there for me when I came back. Hey, if you're really stuck, have it delivered to my house and I'll keep it for you if I'm around and you can pick it up :)

And personally, I'd avoid 6th street any night....but that's just me! Now if we have a Hoff-Austin Member meet up there, I'd reconsider!

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  6. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

Music Direct ships records all day everyday to all states - cold and hot. Maybe call one of those companies and see what tips they may provide. Pack them well and ship UPS or Fedex - just wouldn't trust USPS with them - terrible tracking system. I would definitely not let them go in the belly of a plane, never. I agree with the poster above about putting them on hold and picking them up - one less means of something happening.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm down. Is Steve coming?

beverett, Aura and AcidPunk15 like this.
  8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You know, in the 4 or 5 years we were coming down here before we finally relocated we were only there once; it was the first year, I think, and we had survived a long day of SXSW (never again) and were starved. It was delicious! I remember their onion rings in particular, something I usually don't order any more. Plus, you've got that Happy Days era vibe going, and it's for real.

Tim Irvine likes this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yep, we walk to Enoteca, since it is in the 'hood. (We're in Travis Heights. It is very good). Have you eaten at Barlatta? It is amazing Spanish food, and surprisingly underpriced for the level of food, which is high. I can't deal with crowds or lines, so we have yet to eat at Franklin, and even ordering a whole brisket 'to go' is next to impossible, so when the occasion strikes, we go to Mickelwaite Meats, a pair of trailers in East Austin.
    The food scene here is pretty amazing.
    and Thanks on the other ones. Noted.

Aura and AcidPunk15 like this.
  10. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would never put them in the belly of a plane. I meant to carry them on as a carry-on package.

11. AcidPunk15

Im down for a meet up im going to living in East Riverside like a half a mile from emos. How many forum members live in Austin TX. 30-40

Aura likes this.
  12. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Skip the lines at Franklin and head down Manchaca to Valentina's. In addition to spectacular barbecue the sides, especially the hot corn salad, are out of this world.

beverett, Bill Hart and Aura like this.
  13. Tim Irvine

At the risk of turning this into a food thread as much as I love Hut's the bulgogi burger with caramelized kimchi and a fried egg at Chilantro is pretty freaking good and very Austin.

fuse999, AcidPunk15 and Bill Hart like this.
  14. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Pack em tight. They will stay flat.

Tim Irvine likes this.
  15. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Yes, indeed! Valentina's had a trailer on Brodie for a while near Wm. Cannon. Somehow I had missed it. The food is fantastic, and if you skip the peak times/days, there is no line whatsoever.

For newcomers, there is only outdoor seating though, so be warned to take it carry out, if you don't want to sit outside or endure the heat in the summer. You can also BYOB. No alcohol served by the establishment.

16. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Yes, the new Emo's. I have seen some SXSW shows there since the new location opened. It used to be on Red River (downtown, just west of I-35).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    AcidPunk15 likes this.
  17. AcidPunk15

How are the acoustics in the room? Also, do you know of any other popular rooms where bands play. I know when Metz (Canadian Noise Rock) plays they will be at this bar called Mohawks

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Aura likes this.
  18. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

The sound at Emo's is really good. Mohawk is another well-known venue on Red River. The Parish on 6th is another indie venue, but it seems like 3Ten has been booking more of those types of shows lately. 3Ten is part of ACL. The ACL festival (outdoors at Zilker Park) takes place every year over two weekends in October. Check their site for full listings.

19. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well hell, I posted here to help out a fellow music fan and now I wanna pack all my stuff and move to Austin.;)

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  20. Tim Irvine

And i want to get back to western Oregon!

forthlin and AcidPunk15 like this.
  21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I just packed my records and gear for Eastern Tennessee! Retiring and moving from New York.

bluemooze and AcidPunk15 like this.
  22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I shipped more than 3,000 LP's and 1,500 45's across the Atlantic and Mediterranean last year. They were in a shipping container for the entire month of May and then sat in the Port of Antalya for a couple of days in early June before being delivered. It gets very hot here and I had no problems, at least none that I've discovered.

I packed everything tight. The vinyl was set in plastic garbage bags within 14x14x14 boxes (or boxes specifically designed for 7-inch singles). I taped the boxes tight, all the seams.

I also shipped close to 10,000 CD's in plastic bags set in plastic storage bins (the kind that are designed to roll under a bed). The only things that got slightly damaged were some oversized mini-LP replica sleeves... if they were under a reinforcing ridge of the plastic bin top, the top edge got creased a little bit, but just a 1/16" dimple, so NBD. It's very humid here too, but I haven't found any problems. If I was planning to live another hundred years I might worry about it, but...

I sure was happy and relieved when I saw that container tool around the corner towards our apartment... I had kissed my collection "goodbye" in late April. The container was packed solid and they conveyed everything up to the balcony and into our apartment in about 2-hours time. It's a good system; most of our belongings wouldn't have fit into the elevator.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

24. AcidPunk15

I read something somewhere that the vinyl they used to LPs (PVCs) melting point is 97C

25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Aura- just a follow up re Italian food in Austin. We had dinner at Red Ash downtown the other night with friends. Mind blown. Most of the food cooked over wood fire. Insanely good salads, pasta, Osso Bucco (the steaks are a tad expensive--by the ounce) and Olive Oil cake. I'm ready to go back. Good service, not crazy loud upstairs and actually pretty reasonable given how much food we ordered. Highly recommended. I retract what I said about no good Italian places here. This place cuts new ground for me. (the y'all part still gets me- I'm used to some hardcore paisanos and wanna be mob guys in a lot of the joints in NY/Joisey, but hey, it's Texas!)

MondoFanM, Tim Irvine and Aura like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.