First album performed live in its entirety?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

They Might Be Giants played their debut album in its entirety on 10/22/92. I remember hearing about it at the time and thinking it was odd because it was the first time I'd heard of a band doing that (playing an older album in full). What do I win?

2. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

You can fit the first 3 Ramones albums on a 90 minute cassette, so they probably played the bulk of those three albums in concert in 1977. I first saw them in 78, and by then they had 4 albums, so that wouldn't work unless they played 2 hour shows, which they didn't. In the beginning they would play all of their songs twice to fill a 30 minute set.

3. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

No idea who did it first, but here's a few...
    The Pretty Things played SF Sorrow and their debut album in their entirety.
    The Who did Tommy (skipping a couple of songs) and Quadrophenia.
    Roger Daltrey played all of Tommy.
    The Strawbs played Hero & Heroine.
    Pete Townshend played Psychoderelict & Lifehouse.
    The Kinks did Preservation 1 & 2 (again skipping a couple of songs) and A Soap Opera. I think they also did Schoolboys in Disgrace.
    The Small Faces did Ogdens Nut Gone Flake.
    IQ played all of Subterranea.
    The original Alice Cooper band played Billion Dollar Babies, but mixed with other songs.
    Renaissance did Scheherezade and Other Stories.
    Genesis did The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
    King Crimson played all of Larks Tongues in Aspic, but again mixed with other songs.

4. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

The Who playing Tommy live in 1989 probably deserves some kind of mention

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Who never played the entire Tommy album, Underture and another song Welcome ?? -was skipped ( I can't recall at the moment) Even the forthcoming 2017 release will be incomplete.

6. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I know that Genesis never performed The Lamb after The Lamb tour. Don't know about the others.

7. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Did Pink Floyd play Dark Side on WYWH tour in 75?

8. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

HEART Dreamboat Annie. There's a 30th anniversary DVD from 2006.

9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Springsteen played all the songs from Born To Run at a show in '76, but not in sequence. Likewise, he played 18 of the 20 songs from The River (again, not in sequence) at the 11/5/80 show that's included on the DVD with The Ties That Bind box set.

10. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Pink Floyd played the entire "Dark Side of the Moon" during the "Wish You Were Here" tour in'75.

Another that comes to mind was ELP, during their '73 tour. They played all of "Brain Salad Surgery" although not end to end without interruption. Also, "Benny The Bouncer" was not performed at every show.

Lost In The Flood and warewolf95 like this.
  11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Yes played Rock's Greatest Achievement complete (all 3 pieces, during the setlist) by September 1972

[​IMG]

Reggie Sears and footlooseman like this.
  12. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Kiss Alive

The Elephant Man likes this.
  13. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Thick as a Brick has never been performed in full. Not in 1972, nor in the later 2012/2013 shows.

14. gutter b

gutter b Forum Resident

Queensryche did Operation Mindcrime after releasing Empire

ARK likes this.
  15. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

The Little River Band performed the entirety of the Doobie Bros. 'Minute By Minute' in concert in 1980.
    Or was it 'Double Nickels On The Dime'?

Instant Dharma likes this.
  16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I saw Lou Reed do all of New York in full in 1989, but it was a new release.

17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Elton John performed the entire Captain Fantastic album at Wembley Stadium in 1975, the recording can be found on the special deluxe edition of the album.

In 2012 shortly after the passing of Davy Jones, the Monkees with Michael Nesmith performed most of the Headquarters album and all the songs from the Head album with the band playing accompaniment live synced to Jones' filmed performance of 'Daddy's Song'.

And The Rolling Stones performed the entire Sticky Fingers album a couple of years ago. It was originally issued as an iTunes download and is soon to be available as a deluxe edition.

NumberEight likes this.
  18. The first time I remember hearing about a band touring a previous album played in its entirety was in 2004, with Primus playing "Frizzle Fry" from beginning to end during their Hallucino-Genetics tour.

19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I might have mentioned this elsewhere, but If we're discussing the idea of returning later in a band's or musician's career to play a whole album, I think that Cheap Trick May have paved the way. In the fall of 1998 they did a three night stand in each city where they played each of their first three albums front to back then filled out the set with greatest hits. I saw two nights in Philadelphia.

Cheap Trick's Three-Album Tour

20. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

They certainly weren't the first, but Marillion have a habit of dusting off entire albums when they play their Marillion weekends (three different live sets on three consecutive days at one venue). Several Steve Hogarth era albums have been played live years after the initial release (I think Marbles and Anoraknophobia have been played in the last couple of years despite having been originally released in 2004 and 2001 respectively).

21. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Sparks took that idea and ran with it in 2008, I think - not the first time as per the thread, but I think they were the first band to play every single album they made in sequence, one per night. At least, the first band with more than five albums, anyway.

nedison and Man at C&A like this.
  22. NickC4555

NickC4555 Well-Known Member

I saw Pink Floyd play DSOTM at the Rainbow, London in February 1972, a year before the album was released. They wrote albums on the road in those days. My ticket was £1.50. The first half was DSOTM, then they opened the second half with Echoes. I think they did about 5 encores, the audience didn't give up even when the crew started taking the set down.

The Revealer likes this.
  23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Were The Tubes played their s/t debut in its entirety in the mid Seventies?

Chris Schoen likes this.
  24. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Coltrane did 'A Love Supreme' live at the Antibes festival in 1965 after the lp was released.

25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

R.E.M. did a show in 1989 where they played all of Green and Murmur.

mdm08033 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.