Elvis Presley: The Album Collection - 60th anniversary of Elvis' RCA contract (18th March 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

For "Promised Land" post-2007 restoration era with no issues on the intro you need Elvis 75 (4CD). Complete Masters lopped off the first cowbell strike and everything since Elvis At Stax seems to have an "unprepared intro" in the sense that it kinda "burps" as the song begins.

That or FTD's Classic Album of the Promised Land album.

2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Question.
    I own the set now for 8 months but what are the mono vs stereo mixes when both were and option.
    G.I. Blues for example etc.

3. Price.pittsburgh

@PacificOceanBlue. @SKATTERBRANE

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

To edit an old post of mine, if Bill Porter isn't the engineer (his technique can be summed up as "stereo-compatible mono"), Elvis' songs were mixed to mono and stereo but personally, I'd go with the stereo.

Here are links (from Keith Flynn's website) to all the Elvis sessions Bill Porter engineered.

Elvis Presley Recording Sessions »

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

So now I'd like to get the Complete Masters but the price hasn't gotten all that much better in 7 years.
    You'd think that with cds diminishing more and more this wouldn't be the case.

6. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I think that only 2,000 were made in total. My box will be left in my will to my daughter, Presley. I am sure she will keep it until she passes as well. I view it as an heirloom. It is not surprising that those who own it are not willing to part with it

7. Price.pittsburgh

I'm not dying and I could get it if I really really wanted to.
    The RCA 60th Anniversary box as well as the 3 90s boxes and sister 2 cd sets of Gospel and Movie tracks are certainly all great show off sets and great for leaving for a loved one too.
    But people are selling their Complete Masters just at a high price.

8. artfromtex

I gave those to my daughter last year, along with a bunch of the 90's Elvis CD's including the pop up longbox of "If Every Day Was Like Christmas". She was so happy.

9. Price.pittsburgh

You still have this thread's set?

10. artfromtex

Yes. This set, the "Complete Masters" set, my FTD collection, my "Legacy Edition" collection, and a few other stragglers (individual discs and various other box sets) will remain in my possession until I croak.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Flaming Torch likes this.
  11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Is Franklin Mint still offering their version?

12. artfromtex

I don't think so. I sold that in 2011 to offset the cost of my "Complete Masters" purchase. While that set is cheaply made, I found that the themed compilation discs actually worked quite well.

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I agree and plan to update my will so they all go to a good home. If no one wants them I shall leave instructions for them to go the The Elvis Shop, London.
    I never got an Elvis 75 4cd set. Anything unique or better sources used? Likewise I have the Big Beat thing. Anything unique on this (apart from live/tv stuff sorry folks but I really do not play those early non studio 1950s things often).
    I have the 20 Original Albums set which has the Welcome to my World album (which is why I kept it). No info on the box re mastering and oddly the Moody Blue is the 2001 version with the From Elvis Presley Boulevard stuff even though that album is included in the set. All very odd.
    Re Welcome to my World I do not have an original vinyl so I have no idea if it (the cd) has the correct versions.

Power Windows likes this.
  14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. Good grief you folks really know your Elvis. Wonderful! I shall get the FTD A Date With Elvis sooner than planned in case it goes oop.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  15. booker

booker Forum Resident

I wonder if you guys know anything about vinyl release of Elvis TV Special that would contain stereo mixes of the songs as presented here in 60th Anniversary Box (except for six-down part which is mono). I’ve got US 1977 reissue on vinyl and the only songs in stereo are the first two ie Tiger Man and Guitar Man while the rest is mono. Would Friday Music Vinyl release have stereo mixes as CD from the Box?

16. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

As far as I recall, this was the only non box release for much of the stereo stuff, but it never came out on vinyl as far as I can tell. Bigger experts than me will be along to help though, I feel sure. There's some incredible Presley fans here. It's a fabulous and cheapo, now worthless CD set by the way, for people OK with CD:

Elvis Presley - Memories - The '68 Comeback Special

17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The original album was reconstructed from the best sources for the Complete Masters and the Franklin Mint sets. They used the original album master for the Album Collection, the Complete 68 Comeback Special and the ftd. Don't know about vinyl.

If you get the Memories cd mentioned above and the Complete 68 Comeback Special box set, you have most of it in very good sound. The sit-down shows in the box was edited a bit but all of the music is there.

18. booker

booker Forum Resident

I’ve got this and other CD releases of this event. I need to know about Friday Music vinyl release or other LP containing stereo mix on some tracks of B side.

19. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I was showing my eldest a few discs to look out for after I pop my clogs and what they could potentially be worth, ie "don't just ship the whole lot to the thrift store". They'll probably go on eBay now...

melstapler likes this.
  20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well a year later, I'm finally getting around to ripping these. Would anyone be so kind as to share the "best" BritchelM uploaded front covers for this set so I can easily tag my rips? I see he has 1000+ covers uploaded to AAC, but that is just too many for me to wade through, with no easy way to search by album title + uploaded by him/her, unless someone can share an easy way.

21. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I will try when I get home. I think I have nearly all of them, 1000x1000 (JPEG though, is that a dealbreaker?). All have the RCA logos and all that, I think. It's been a long time since I did it - possibly 11 and a half months, I seem to remember doing it in January after getting snowed in one day, so my memory is fuzzy. But I know I do have them.

I had to make my own on a few (IIRC, there wasn't a good scan of Paradise Hawaiian Style or one of the 8000000000000000000 Elvis Hawaii movies) and the quality is noticeably worse... but it's still the best on the internet. o_O

I'll get the whole thing uploaded to Dropbox and post a link in this thread for everyone to use, unless that's against forum rules. Feel free to download and replace any you find better scans of.

SamS and artfromtex like this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That would be absolutely fantastic!!

23. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Here you go! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nlyt8r7zgv64ixf/AABTsZly7VwR2uLT7Ybg_Ni5a?dl=1

I should mention that I don't have completely accurate titles for some of those. A lot of the ones that start with "Elvis [...]" just skip that (e.g. I'm Ten Thousand Years Old, The Wonderful World of Christmas, etc.) and for the sake of convenience I've just marked the four "Gold(en) Records" sets as Gold Records 1-4 (50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong is not included there). This is just how I arrange my album covers, go ahead and do whatever you want to the names/sizes/whatever.

This is (or at least should be) all 60 CDs from this box set. I *think* Paradise Hawaiian Style is the only one I had to make myself; I may have had to do a little work to the "From The Vaults" discs, but I can't remember.

Enjoy!

Stan94 and SamS like this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There was a good quality pic of Paradise, Hawaiian Style on web a while ago. And I re-found it in my Elvis collection. It's 710x710 though.

[​IMG]

Maffune and SamS like this.
  25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Brilliant! Thank you so much :)

InStepWithTheStars likes this.