Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calico

Calico Senior Member

You mean this guy ?

:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:

Thrillington likes this.
  2. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Tomorrow Instrumental is claimed to be recorded during the Venus and Mars sessions, which I can see, as it has a very "Lunch Box Odd Sox" feel to it.

Perhaps the Tomorrow Instrumental was just slapped together for use of a potential B-side down the road which never got used.

SixOClockBoos and Mr. Explorer like this.
  3. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

That does sound likely.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Which started in late 1974, right?

5. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Yeah, Paul obviously had a liking for that keyboard/synthesizer sound at the time as can be evidenced by the several instrumentals he recorded with just that particular sound: "Lunchbox/Odd Sox" and "Tomorrow (instrumental)" as you mention, as well as the aforementioned "Proud Mum". I'd also add "Zoo Gang" and "One Hand Clapping", as well as Linda's "Oriental Nightfish" to this slew of similar sounding instrumentals ("Oriental Nightfish" is mainly an instrumental with some spoken words on top). I'm confident all these songs were recorded fairly close together in time - late 73 to late 74.

Mr. Explorer and daveidmarx like this.
  6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

And this great McGear song as well

Check Scaffold's "Liverpool Lou" as well for that lovely Moog sound.

7. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Ah yes, but like The Beatles, Paul didn't play bass on every song. If the Tomorrow Instrumental was recorded during the Venus and Mars sessions, it's very possible Tony Dorsey played bass, as he did for Lunch Box Odd Sox.

Mr. Explorer, cmi and l-l-d like this.
  8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

This conversation made me pull out the 2014 Archive reissue of Venus & Mars, easily one of the better ones from the campaign. C'mon MPL, give us the next Wings reissue now! It's been 3 years....

Btw, are the McGear sessions essential for Wings fans?

JDeanB and Mr. Explorer like this.
  9. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Do you mean the McGear album? Because I've never heard that anything else from the sessions has been available.

But the album itself is fairly essential. Paul is all over the album, and there are several great tracks (e.g. the previously posted "Rainbow Lady", the single "Leave It" and the awesomely great closer, "The Man who Found God on the Moon").

10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I have the McGear album on vinyl. Has there ever been a CD version? It seems like such an obvious choice for a reissue (perhaps with bonus tracks).

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

There was a Ryko cd version many years ago.

Mr. Explorer and dormouse like this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I like the song, I like the album. Wings "garage Rock" at it's finest (i.e., the entire album). Of all the albums remaining to be "archived", Wild Life is the one I'm awaiting most eagerly. For me, it's the most intriguing part of McCartney's entire career.

13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Not this fan. I mean, it's OKAY, not great. It should have been released as a bonus disc with the Venus and Mars box or with the (hopefully) upcoming Red Rose box. Sure, it's Wings with Paul's brother, but I didn't think the songs were really all that great. Willing to give it another listen, tho.

14. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Must have missed that. Perhaps someone will try again! Haven't heard it in a while but I remember it being an enjoyable listen.

15. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

The "See For Miles" version is better with more tracks. (I have a spare for sale should anyone be interested)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. McCartney_Legacy

McCartney_Legacy Forum Resident

Since we are currently writing about the period 1970-73, I'd love to see Red Rose Speedway and Wild Life issued.
    But I'm guessing that Capitol are calling the shots now, so the next archive release will be something with commercial appeal.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I say yes. Paul's presence (along with the rest of Wings including new member Jimmy) is felt all over. But of course, it's pretty important that you can enjoy brother Michael's singing.

JDeanB and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

PM sent!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

These albums represent a gaping hole in the current Archive release schedule. It would make sense to fill this gap before moving forward. While the duo perhaps do not feature at the top of many people's lists of favourites they are by no means embarrassing and represent what Paul was doing at that point in time. I personally always had a soft spot for Red Rose Speedway as it was one of the first solo albums I purchased on vinyl when it was issued. It does also seem to be an album that would benefit from an expanded edition. Wild also is something of oddity and while it is not perhaps as easy to present in an enhanced format it could still be covered in a perhaps slimmed down form while retaining the overall 'Archive' format.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

I’m hopeful that RRS will at least match McCartney II in terms of including everything from the proposed double lp. And then some.

21. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Not wishing to put a damper on your wishes, but after the FITD debacle I've given up all hope that future archive releases will deliver what the fans actually want. Unless of course lots of glossy books of Linda's pictures do it for you.

22. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Not wishing to put a damper on your wishes, but after the FITD debacle I've given up all hope that future archive releases will deliver what the fans actually want. Unless of course lots of glossy books of Linda's pictures do it for you.

23. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

24. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

25. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Maybe someone could delete three of the above posts?

noahjld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.