Kirk Hammett's Horror Movie Talk at the Peabody Essex Museum

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogJ, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

This is obviously sort of off-topic for the music forum, but I just came back from seeing Kirk Hammett interviewed at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts. It was a special 75 minute event featuring a Q&A with one of the museum curators.

It was part of the opening to an exhibit which the PEM pulled together of a portion of Kirk's collection of horror movie posters, toys, costumes, and props. It's a terrific exhibit and runs through November.

Tonight, he talked about why he is fascinated with horror films, and most importantly, how they have influenced his music. He talked about his improvised solos and where they come from internally. They had some projections of some of his poster collection, and he would describe scenes in the films and improvise some music to reflect the scene. Finally, he and his wife composed an original work for this show that tells a horror story completely through music, and is heard at the end of the exhibit.

Check out PEM.org to get more info on the exhibit.

2. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

That sounds really cool! I wish I could've been there, actually.

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I'll have to make my way back for this exhibition, until just about a month ago, I lived about two blocks from this altogether excellent museum.

AnalogJ likes this.
  4. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Hopefully on topic. The Susperia soundtrack by Goblin is a great piece of music.

5. AnalogJ

There was an exhibit book signing (A beautiful book done up by the PEM called "It's Alive!") and photo opportunity that was $80. I didn't go for that, but it sold out within 5 minutes of going on sale, I was told.

At the talk (which cost $40), Mr. Hammett was personable, funny, and positively giddy about the thought of being able to share his collection, this being the first time.

Interestingly, he talked about being shy, as well as the nerves before going onstage, and relating it to the similar feeling he gets watching horror films. (He said his favorite place to watch them is on airplanes, and gets so creeped out that he involuntarily looks over his shoulders to check that the monster isn't behind him.)

For him, playing music and the love of horror film come from the same place. They connect to the same place internally, and they're something he has been fascinated with since he was a boy.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

He was asked about his favorite horror film soundtracks. I'm trying to remember his response. I believe that The Shining was one of them.

Weirwolfe and Dynamic Ranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.