Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Previous 2 posts are excellent. A good book will always ruffle feathers. Remember how tame the Anthology series was - everybody toeing the party line. If Lewisohn puts noses out of joint, more power to him. But just write the darn book, willya!

Gardo and Thrillington like this.
  2. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

All this discussion reminds me that I still need to finish the first book! As soon as my dissertation is finished next month I'll be able to read again for leisure, not for research. What a joy that will be!

Gardo, douglas mcclenaghan and AJK74 like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Regarding the previously unrevealed story about how George Martin was forced to sign the band by his bosses at EMI:

It is indeed possible that the Beatles themselves, nor Brian Epstein, were ever aware of this back-story. They might have never known about these details---so it might seem far-fetched to them, especially more than 50 years after the fact.

elvissinatra, Gardo and MoonPool like this.
  4. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

Oh it will, for sure, it's just that I'm so desperate to read volume 3 which will not come out until 2025 at the earliest. There shouldn't be as long a gap between 2 and 3 as there will be with 1 and 2 because he's researching for 3 concurrently, but still, it's a long long time to wait for the volume I've been so keen to get my hands on since this project was first announced because that's the period (67-70) that's been shrouded in so much myth.

bobcat likes this.
  5. paper shoes

I wonder what Mark made of Paul's endorsement of Philip Norman's recent biography. Very odd that he should take a swipe at Lewisohn and then cosy up to the guy who authored "Shout".

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  6. Arnold Grove

I still don't know how he is going to fit 1963 to 1970 in just two more volumes.

alexpop likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

The initial schedule tentatively projected that it wouldn't be until 2027-28 at the earliest for Volume III. And that's only if Volume II comes out in 2020-21.

8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I haven't read the Philip Norman biography but Lewisohn was candid about Paul being quite the swordsman in his Liverpool days.

Maybe Macca didn't like that.

9. Arnold Grove

And during his Beatles years too:

[​IMG] ;)

MoonPool likes this.
  10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

And he was quite cavalier about it to...

Carl LaFong, richarm, Gardo and 4 others like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Olé!!

Seltarb, MoonPool and bobcat like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Paul was also quite adept with polygons too... ;)

Gardo and DK Pete like this.
  13. paper shoes

In terms of the songs they compose or choose to cover, he can't possibly continue with the same level of detail found in volume 1 whilst at the same time setting the story in the context of what was going on in the world of popular culture at the time. I think he's going to have to sacrifice the music to a large extent, which is what they were ultimately about but a re-write of "Recording sessions" or "Revolultion in the Head" is not what we need. I think he's said himself that this project is a "social history" and I'd much prefer he devoted a section of the book to Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert than a track by track analysis of the "Long Tall Sally" EP.
    In the most recent of interviews with Mark - linked on the previous page - he has said that he intends to address a miss-conception that Brian made poor business decisions and I wouldn't be surprised if Brian emerges as *the* dominant personality in volume 2. In Anthology, once he's got them into suits and secured a record deal, he's pretty much forgotten about until the day he dies, but away from the studio he orchestrated the whole damned show.

14. Arnold Grove

It will be interesting for sure and likely eye-opening in many cases. I remain curious how he will tackle some of the more important controversies, and to see how he can shed new light on them.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..can you elaborate on what you mean by "controversies"?

16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

A Carnival of Light?

Sorry. Couldn't help myself....

17. Arnold Grove

Things like John's "Bigger than Jesus" comment; the fiasco in the Philippines; the initial publishing contract with Dick James (and how that had major repurcussions later in their career); the Lennon-McCartney versus McCartney-Lennon ordering of song credits; George Martin's quitting EMI in 1965 but still remaining as the Beatles producer, which must have pissed off the bosses at EMI; Paul and Jane Asher's relationship; etc.

Maybe though "controversies" wasn't the best choice of words.

18. Arnold Grove

Mark also has said that he intends to include ongoing details on the Liverpool side of things too. So he might have revealing info on Pete and Mona Best, especially with regard to Neil Aspinall; on Rory Storme; and the members of the Beatles immediate family.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Those are all good ones; I'm hoping-but not necessarily expecting-some deeper delving into studio and songwriting aspects (will we ever find out definitively about In My Life; how extensive was Paul's role in directing some of Ringo's drum patterns; IS it Paul and George on And Your Bird Can Sing and WHO came up with the guitar part...stuff like that).

Gardo, Zeki and MoonPool like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

That would be great. BUT can Mark fit all of that info too in one volume (for 1963-67 next) with all of the other stuff happening?

21. paper shoes

John and Brian in Spain and the resulting Bob Wooler incident.
    I think Paul had a lengthy affair whilst he was with Jane, I forget her name now. Think she was a nanny for somebody he was connected to.
    Alma Cogan.
    Astrid circa 1964.
    John and The Beatles' photographer's wife (Robert Whittaker?)
    The dentist.
    When did George first become interested in Ringo's wife? Probably not until 69/70 but maybe that goes back further.
    Brian's sex life in general.

DK Pete likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'd also love some better (truer?) insight into Geoff Emerick's viewpoints on George's guitar playing in the studio; he makes quite a few negative comments/implications in *his* book.

Gardo likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think Paul had many affairs while with Jane...as well as while he was with Linda...but that's for another book.

24. Arnold Grove

Those are Chapters 12, 27, 41, 55, 68, 88, 94, and 124 of Volume II... ;)

25. Arnold Grove

While with Jane, yes.

BUT while with Linda, after they got serious in late 1968? That would be very revealing as no one has ever intimidated any straying on Paul's part (or Linda's part) once the two hooked up with each other for good at that time.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    somnar and bobcat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.