Any truth to this rumor about Mitch Mitchell joining The Who?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

Macca is too much POP , Mitch play was to much advance for him...

Carserguev, Jimmy B. and Dave Hoos like this.
  2. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Kenney Jones, one and only choice to replace Moon. They knew each other well, and already had worked together on the TOMMY soundtrack, most notably on "I'm Free" where it was Townshend/Entwistle/Daltrey/Jones. Kenney was a great drummer, and from fan's perspective (based on hearing over 100 KJ WHO shows and listening to interviews) in hindsight his mis-step may have been in going OUT of his way to NOT sound like Keith Moon. He tore up the drums in the Small Faces and Faces, but played a little differently in The Who. Not bad (see especially live 1979 work from September onward) but the studio work is a little reserved.

Funny, listening to the way Kenney played "Won't Get Fooled Again" and other tracks, if I was to bet, I would wager that Pete Townshend gave Kenney his demos and not WHO recordings to follow. Listen to the middle bit of WGFA (right after "I know that the hypnotized never lie", where it jumps up a step to B) and compare the demo drum patterns with the WHO studio version....

hi_watt, npgchris and Jimmy B. like this.
  3. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I doubt this is true. Right away I can say he wasn't right for The Who.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  4. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

He did? I did not know this.

MidnightRocks likes this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

He wouldn't have even been the best drummer in Wings.

PIGGIES, painted8, ZippyPippy and 2 others like this.
  6. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

Struggling to imagine Mitch Mitchell on the Flip Wilson show in a matching orange outfit playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" just a few years after performing the likes of "Voodoo Chile".

PIGGIES and bpmd1962 like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I dunno when Mitch auditioned for Wings, but you have to remember that by that time he wasn't the great drummer he once was.
    His playing kind of deteriorated from 1970 onwards, and he may have had a drinking problem.

keifspoon likes this.
  8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Mitch would have been a great fit for The Who imo. I think Townshend probably didn't want anyone in Keith's style though.

9. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I agree on a '69 Mitch, a '79 Mitch was way past it by that point.

10. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

As a drummer myself, I always loved Moon. However, I think his live worked sounded a bit "too loose". Especially since he did not use a high hat live and just rode all his crashes and ride.

11. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Sorry guys, I can't see Mitch Mitchell as Moons replacement. I think by the time Moon died, Pete want to shift the sound of the band and wanted to tighten things up. As mentioned earlier, the band had worked with Kenny Jones before, so they had a good idea how he might fit in. Does anyone know Entwistle's thoughts as Kenny as their drummer? They made up the rhythm section.

As for us fans who loved the Townshend/Entwistle/Daltrey/Moon live combination, I think almost any drummer following Moon would of had a hard time. Those four, live in their prime had a very special chemistry that it would be had to duplicate.

Perhaps if The Who had had a couple of monster radio hits with Kenny or one incredible studio LP Like Tommy, Who's Next or Quad, the fan base might have like him better. No matter who Moon's replacement was, it would have been a hard road to hoe. With Zach, he was from a completely different generation. who was schooled in all the great drummers who came before him. He was never a peer or contemporary with Moon, never so he had never had to be compared to him on that level. Because of that I think it was easier for him to fit his style into Moon/Starkey hybrid of playing.

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's not popular around here to say so, but this is true. They needed a drinking buddy, and he fit the bill.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Never heard the rumor. That said, I don't think Mitchell would have fit well with The Who.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Entwhistle told Pete that Kenney Jones allowed him more space. This was described in Pete's autobiography. For corroboration, listen to the badd part in "Eminence Front." Daltrey was the one opposed to Jones. This was documented elsewhere.

alchemy and npgchris like this.
  15. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

This is most likely where the rumour started. He auditioned for The Who, before Moon, not after him.

DTK likes this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Wasn't Phil Collins said to be the first choice?

17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I can only imagine how Bun E. Carlos would have been with them (or could be, for what's left of their career)...I can picture him fitting in with their sound.

marmil likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

IIRC, Collins was one of many who offered their services, or expressed interest. Collins was not offered the gig, nor is there any record of Collins jamming or rehearsing with the band.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  19. Fa La La

Fa La La Well-Known Member

I don't think Mitch and Keith had the same style. Both busy, but Mitch seemed jazzier and/or groovier and Keith crazier and more frantic with a great sense of humor. I see your point about Pete maybe not wanting a busy drummer, I just disagree they were the same style.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  20. Fa La La

Fa La La Well-Known Member

To put it another way - I can imagine Mitch in the Who but not Keith in the Experience.

Imagine70 likes this.
  21. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I can't imagine either. Although in some of Jimi's heavier moments, I could imagine Keith fitting in just fine.

alchemy likes this.
  22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

There was a direct quote I remember reading a long time ago from Collins where he said he offered his services saying he'd be willing to "make myself available" which I assume to have meant - put Genesis and/or solo activities on hold. But I'm pretty sure that quote was in reference to replacing Bonham in Zeppelin when he died.

Of course I might be mis-remembering - it may have been The Who. Heck maybe it was BOTH!

...and he did record and tour with Plant in his early post-Zeppelin days.

23. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The less said of this the better! :D

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nah, Roger would've pounded the crap out of Ginger!

Dave Hoos and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I'd imagine so. Roger was a small guy but very muscular and he had a reputation as being a brawler in his younger days. I believe it was around the Quadrophenia/By Numbers era when while rehearsing Daltrey knocked Townshend out cold with a single punch (and for a brief moment he actually thought he'd killed him).

Baker was tall (but scrawny). I may be wrong but I haven't myself read anything about him being physically violent. Psychological violence sure - purposely sabotaging Jack Bruce's equipment for one. But he always struck me as more of a coldly manipulative passive/aggressive ar$e rather than a violent ar$e - his recent violent misuse of walking aids notwithstanding.

Dave Hoos and pool_of_tears like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.