Just got Schiit Bifrost

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker Member Thread Starter

First DAC I have ever purchased. Not real impressed with it really. Usb still sounds noisey compared to optical with their Gen 5.
    Could be my Dell laptop, heard they had the worst usb ports when it comes to audio.

CD quality sound is far better sounding than 24 96. With HiRes it is smoother but lacks dynamics and spacial que's in middle of soundstage. The middle sounds smothered.

Not sure I really want to keep this, I wanted to use it for HiRes digital thru usb. But the 16 44.1kHz sounds far better. I expected it to since it is native 16 bit DAC.

Any suggestions or thoughts from you guys would be appreciated.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Is it the multibit version?

Make sure you're using WASAPI or some other bit perfect method of playback. Use software like JRiver, Foobar, MusicBee or MediaMonkey. And make sure the playback software is configured to use a WASAPI exclusive mode for playback and that playback is configured to play at the native sample rate of the music and not resample everything to a different sample rate.

Playback using Windows DirectSound rather than WASAPI can sound like you described.

arisinwind, patient_ot and bluemooze like this.
  3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Allow for burn in time with a Schiit DAC. I have a Bitfrost Uber, but purchased it used here on the Forum so it sounded great straight away. I later bought the Modi 2 for another system and out of the box did not like what I was hearing. However over the course of the a day or so things improved greatly and within a few days with it on and processing music (though not constantly and not always with me listening) it settled in and I enjoyed the music it delivered.

marcb, vconsumer and bluemooze like this.
  4. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

+1 for HamSandwich. I totally agree, mine sounds glorious. It is multibit too.

5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

And leave it on. The multibit dacs like thermal stability or something.

waaguirr, Freebird and murrays like this.
  6. moops

moops Senior Member

I have the standard Bifrost AK4490 - not the multibit - and the manual states you can leave it on all the time if you want, it won't hurt anything.
    I usually turn mine off when I'm done listening, but I guess there may not be a need to.

7. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Unfortunately, a computer isn't just a computer when it comes to serving bits to a DAC, despite the marketing speak. Even with asynchronous USB. As others have written, it needs to be properly configured, and even then there are limits as to how good a laptop can be.

As for the disappointing results with hi-res, I have come to the conclusion that the difference between hi-res and 16/44.1 is marginal at best. The skills of the recording engineer matters much, much more.

basie-fan, head_unit, Shiver and 5 others like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

better see a doctor right away!!!!!!!!!!

i think there is an ointment for that.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

10. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

As others have said, it's a sharp learning curve with computers and DACs. The bit perfect software makes a massive difference. And for what it's worth, my Schiit Modi2 Multi-bit sounds better through Toslink than USB. I'm sure it has to do with other crap being on the hub (printers, etc). But I tried Toslink through my SB Audigy Card as well as right off the motherboard and I prefer it right from the MB. It's fun experimenting.

11. Ham Sandwich

I just ordered a Schiit Eitr USB to SPDIF converter. That will get me the new GEN 5 USB stuff to try. Will be interesting to see if it makes a difference with my Modi Multibit, Gungnir Multibit and my other DACs. The other benefit is that the Eitr will be a single device with a single driver that I'll be able to use with any DAC that has a coax SPDIF input. It's fun experimenting.

Kyhl, jfeldt, jmrife and 1 other person like this.
  12. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I have a Bifrost Multibit on the way, delivering tomorrow. I will connect it all three ways and let it warm up for a few days before I crank it up.

Looking forward to it!

billnunan likes this.
  13. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I got the Bifrost 4490 a few weeks ago directly from the Shiitr as it is less than 30 minutes from me. There is a noticeable improvement over my previous Modi 2 Uber but maybe not $250 worth which is the difference between the Modi and the Bifrost.

14. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

We will be very interested in your observations about the Eitr. (I have the Gungnir Multibit DAC too.)

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Please post you thoughts, or pm me. My next upgrade is a linear power supply for the laptop in the rack but this may supersede the power supply.

16. Ham Sandwich

I don't know if I'll hear a difference with the Eitr. One reason for getting it is to be able to compare it with the GEN 2 USB that is in my Gungnir Multibit and Modi Multibit. The other reason is for convenience. I've long wanted/needed to get a USB to SPDIF converter so I can easily plug into other DACs without needing a driver. Will be very handy at meets and when demoing other DACs.

17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Try a different cable.

18. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

It's possible you need to give it some time for your ears to get accustomed to it. Also are you playing it through the HT Receiver listed in your profile? If so, make sure the receiver is not converting the signal ... I think there was a post around here about that. If it's noisy, it is possible that your USB cable may be faulty so if you have another one handy try checking that as well.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This does not sound right (no pun.) This setup should sound wonderful, in particular the 24 bit recordings. In regards to the noise, make sure your WIFI is turned OFF. When I got my Modi I had sizzly, buzzy noise which drove me crazy and it was the WIFI.

20. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Ok let me clarify more. Multibit not delta sigma. oh and all other usb devices are unplugged, wifi is off. I am using Schiits PYST usb cable. I have disabled power management on all usb root hubs.
    I am using foobar with wasapi enabled, event not push.
    I have tried both 24 96 and 16 44.1 with win10 in control panel and in foobar set to the files native playback.
    The 24 96 was still WAY off on soundstage and dynamics compared to the cd. I am pretty sure they are both from same master. I dont trust HDTracks much though.
    Both cd and HiRes album had same DR, that is the only reason I think they are from same master.

I questioned Schiit about 24 bits running through a 16 bit DAC, you know native sounds better, or even with video.
    They told me I would notice a slight decrease in dynamics playing the 24 bit audio. Well that is what I am experiencing but in my case its a HUGE jump from cd.

When I first listened to the BiFrost it sounded very dull, that changed after a few hours. It sounds consistent now and much brighter, more air.

The thing is, when I have listened to 24 96 files through my crappy Dell integrated laptop audio, with headphones.
    The 24 96 was better and did not compromise on soundstage and dynamics.
    Not with this album I tested with the BiFrost though, I have not tried that through the laptops integrated audio compared to the cd version.

Only thing I can figure is that Schiits processing of 24 bit audio is not up to par as many of the delta sigma DAC's.

The HT receiver is set to Direct. And its an analog source as the receiver see's it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Frostbit sh**? - oh, wait, let me get my glasses. :winkgrin:

ShockControl and DRM like this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

How much did you pay for that Schiit?

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't think you can be 100% sure, but it is possible they are.

24. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Sure cant be 100% and I wonder a lot about HiRes files from HDtracks being legit from the label in real native format as posted.

25. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

$600

And for that price I am not sure I want to compromise on 24 96.

I guess I will have to try another album I have on cd to 24 96.

I really only have all of the original Michael Jackson cd's, I tried Invincible bc you know how loud it is on cd.
    I also have the Invincible MoV record which came from the label to MoV in 24 96. The same guy who cut the original Thriller record cut Invincible for them.
    The MoV record beats the cd, and 24 96 from HDTracks. Of course with some added distortion but everything else is better on the record.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.