Donovan: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 26, 2013.

1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I think it would've clashed. Too flighty, even for them.

2. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Major artist???....Really???...Up there with Beatles, Dylan, Stones?...Not my recollection!

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

Between 1966-68, Donovan was a very big deal in Europe and America. He was a bigger singles artist than Dylan in that timeframe.

willy, bumbletort, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  4. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Donovan is one of those artists that I've never seen in concert, and really would like to see. I keep hoping for an appearance within 150 miles.

notesfrom likes this.
  5. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

This has been a really timely thread for me. A couple weeks ago Sunshine Superman came on the radio and it struck me how groovy I've always thought his hits have been, so I started checking him out. Really loving all (or most) of everything between Sunshine Superman and Barabajal (sp?).

willy, Mazzy, juno6000 and 2 others like this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

[​IMG]

alexpop, Rickchick, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Currently playing the Sundazed LP reissue of Sunshine Superman. It's fab.

The Vic Anesini mastered CD, which currently resides in my music server, is pretty fab as well.

GetHappy!! and juno6000 like this.
  8. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I would go out on a limb and state that in my opinion his guitar playing is every bit as good, if not better. I find Dylan grating but I could easily listen to Donovan all day. Sure he may have done some cheesy songs here and there, *I love my shirt* but everything through Hurdy Gurdy Man is really top notch stuff. I particularly like the jazz influenced stuff on Mellow Yellow and the live album. A gift from a flower to a garden is simply amazing. Again, my opinion and my tastes.

notesfrom, Hep Alien, willy and 4 others like this.
  9. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Im thinking about picking up all of the sundazed reissues. Maybe the Airplane ones as well.

10. I say yes to both.

juno6000 and Olompali like this.
  11. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

I have 4 of Donovan's albums and like many of his songs. Albums: "Sunshine Superman", "Essence to Essence", "Barabajagal" and "Donovan's Greatest Hits". A major player? I think not, but that doesn't mean that he hasn't done some major works. I don't think that whether he is a major player or not is relevant, just whether you like some of his music is all that should matter to you, just like any music. A few songs that I quite enjoy when the mood hits me:
    "Epistle to Dippy"
    "Sunshine Superman"
    "There is a Mountain"
    "Jennifer Juniper"
    "Mellow Yellow"
    "Hurdy Gurdy Man"
    "Lazy Daze"
    "Life Goes On"
    "Divine Daze of Deathless Delight"
    "Boy for Every Girl"
    "Barabajagal"
    "Superlungs my Supergirl"
    "Atlantis"

Rickchick and juno6000 like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I like Paul, but Paul might have had a hard time with someone else drawing the young ladies attention. Donovan certainly would have added a strong Celtic traditional aspect to their music, more emphasis on poetry, and a little more humor to the band. And then after the inevitable 1970 breakup, the critics could have blamed him instead of Yoko. John might have preferred that.

13. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Donovan was friends with The Beatles. All of them. Certainly no clash there.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

He most certainly was a major player. In 1969, the world was wrapped up with the Beatles, the Stones, Dylan and Donovan. They were often mentioned together. I'm not sure whether the Woodstock planners were trying to negotiate for a Donovan appearance, but Donovan probably would have declined any offer (as did Dylan, of course). Woodstock would have added to his status, as it did for everyone who played there.

I agree with your point that it is the music that matters, and Donovan offered a lot there. More than most songwriters.

Guy E, forthlin, willy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My comment was more about if he had been a full fifth member. Major artists always have strong egos and within a band they often clash. Time has shown that to be true in many if not most bands. But the breakup between Paul and John was inevitable regardless of any hypothetical fifth member. And I still think Paul wanted to be known as "the cute one", not one of "the two cute ones". Donovan had extraordinary appeal in 1968-1969 to young women and girls.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Rickchick likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But somehow, I suspect that it is mostly men commenting on this thread

17. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

You could say the same about the beatles. Lol

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When I was a kid, I was one of the only boys in my school who bought records. It seemed to be 98% girls. These days, it is quite reversed. I would not be surprised if this entire forum is 98% male, regardless of what people indicate on their profiles

forthlin and juno6000 like this.

19. I agree Donovan was as big as almost anybody back then, but one factor my have catapulted him to the very top......

..... That would be him making performances at Monterey Pop and Woodstock.
    One of those probably would have done the trick, but a double billing would assuredly have done so.

Anybody got info as to why he did not appear? Heck, he was on the board of governors of Monterey Pop.

notesfrom and Tribute like this.
  20. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I think I remember reading it had to do with the drug bust. ?? Maybe?

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In 1969, Donovan certainly made more major American television appearances than any of The Beatles, Dylan or the Stones, and I believe far more than all three of those giants put together. Every American variety show wanted him. Yet, he probably turned down way more offers than he accepted, because his conditions were probably unusual (stage setting and song selection) for many network shows

22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

True.

One artist screws around and dabbles in narcotics when given the opportunity and he's lauded, another brags a bit and says some silly stuff and he's condemned for life.

Scott S. and Mazzy like this.
  23. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Well, if that's your measure...?...;)

willy likes this.
  24. Donovan, 1966

Features Sunny Goodge Street, acoustic, outdoors.

(Just tap the small YouTube.com print for video)

Donovan - 1966 Swedish interview/performance RARE!!
    youtube.com5:02 6 days a

25. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I just dug out an autographed copy of Hurdy Gurdy Man. Stereo Yellow Epic Label. The previous owner wrote Good on side 1 and DULL! on side 2. Lol.

Rickchick, joelee, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.