Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Wow, that's awful.

I have a theory of how this might end. I think we're going to find out that when Laura put on the ring in the train car, she switched places with her doppelgänger/tulpa and that's who BOB killed. She's been stuck in the lodge with Cooper all this time. The last scene in FWWM was them together. It's just assumed she's "dead", but Cooper was obviously alive. Is it future or is it past? I always assumed she was crying/laughing because she was "free," but maybe she was because she won? What did Leland say to him in the first episode? "Find Laura." She said to Cooper, "I died but yet I live" or something to that effect.

Maybe Bad Coop and BOB were trying to keep the good Dale and Laura stuck in the lodge so they could raise hell? Annie said "I've been with Dale and Laura." I wonder what the last page of the diary says?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

pablo fanques likes this.
  5. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Robert C, rontoon and Mazzy like this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that's essentially the theory i've subscribed to during the return. either that or we get absolutely nothing resembling that sort of closure.

7. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Ha! Of course.

The more I think about it though, the more it makes sense (as if anything in TP world made "sense"). We did see Laura's doppelgänger in the lodge in the original series finale, but we've also seen regular Laura in the lodge multiple times. She told Dale she'd see him again in 25 years. Are there ghosts in the lodge? Sure we've seen Leland, but only his doppelgänger. And we saw Caroline, but she also had the cloudy doppelgänger eyes. They were definitely killed before we saw them in the lodge. All the living, non-spirit people we've seen in the lodge have normal eyes. Dale, Annie, Windham Earle (before BOB destroyed him) and Mike/Gerard. I think Annie's lines from FWWM/Laura's diary are the key. That fourth missing diary page has got to turn up, since it was mentioned earlier in the season. BOB probably hid those pages so that the Bookhouse Boys wouldn't know that the good Dale, and possibly Laura were still trapped in the lodge.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  8. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

A few questions:

1) We saw Laura in the "orb" in episode 8, which suggests that like Bob she represents some sort of (potentially) undying energy (the holy ghost perhaps). Isn't it possible that she's in the Lodge because she plays a larger role in the mythology from an "entity" perspective? Or that she was "resurrected" in the Lodge?

2) Isn't is just as plausible that putting on the ring somehow allows you (spontaneous) entry into the Lodge, since we've arguably seen more evidence to support this theory (Ray, Dougie, possibly the Chris Isaak character)? Are you suggesting that Ray switched with his doppelganger before he was shot?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

1. Yeah. Maybe she's beyond alive. Like supernatural. I think that last missing diary page will spell it all out.

2. There have been people wearing the ring who never got into the lodge (as far as we know), like Teresa Banks and Chester Desmond, and the nurse in the deleted FWWM epilogue scene. And what the hell happened to agent Desmond? He just disappeared. I don't know about Ray, but he doesn't seem that important. I'm just saying we've only seen dead people's doppelgängers in the lodge, and then people who are alive. In Laura and Dale's cases we've seen both. We also law Laura's doppelgänger outside of the lodge a couple of times, once at Harold Smith's house and under the fan at home in the deleted FWWM scene. Maybe she figured out how to switch before she died?

10. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Something happened between Inland Empire and now that made Lynch appreciate silence more. If you noticed, The Missing Pieces usage of music is similar to The Return. Wonder what caused this? He always had this appreciation, but it' even more now.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Maybe recording his own albums in the interim satisfied the musical part of his artisitc being to an extent.

12. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

1) Was Teresa Banks wearing the ring when she died (I know she was beforehand)? I can't remember. Also, I'm not suggesting that putting on the ring automatically transports you, I'm suggesting that putting on the ring makes you "available" for transport. Lastly, we see both normal (post-dead) Leland and doppelganger Leland in the Lodge. The relationship between doppelgangers and our world might relate to the "entity" angle, whereas it seems people relevant to the Lodge mythology have doppelgangers (The Arm, Leland, Coop, Laura...).

2) I'm not subscribed to any firm theory at this point and find yours to be potentially valid, but I'm not sure I was ever given the impression that we've seen Laura's doppelganger outside the Lodge. I would assume you're referring to the scene where Laura reads the poem and her face flashes to an icy shade. I don't remember much about the fan scene. But do you know for certain that we were seeing Laura's doppelganger? If so, can you point me to your source for this information?

Edit: just watched the fan scene. I do wonder if this scene is more related to Bob than her doppleganger, i.e. she's yielding to his seduction (for lack of a better word). Also, keep in mind that our experience of doppelganger's thus far is that they're separate physical entities--they don't inhabit bodies or just spontaneously switch out based on what we've seen.

13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yeah, it's all just swirling around in my head. I don't have anything definitive to point to.

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Fastest hour of the season. I was glued. Very painful. My own father passing away 3 months ago doesn't help.

The evolution of Philip Jefferies? Giant smoke kettle no replacement for Bowie. I dont care for voice actor, but will try to get over it.

Who is Judy?!!? Someone he's met. Major Garland? Major Judy Garland?????

Nice to see Jumping Man. And to tour the conveinence store.

Glad Ed and Norma found happy ending. Things are really wrapping up now.

Gardo, OldSoul, Leviethan and 2 others like this.
  15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Another awesome episode!

16. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

So strange that Evil Coop knew about that brief meeting with Jefferies in Philadelphia in 1989. I had no idea that this doppelgänger would know what the real Cooper was up to before going into the Lodge. Things are definitely getting intense. The Convenient Store was unreal.

And Ed and Norma getting together was done so well. Like Norma just decided on the spot to divest herself of her franchise and the new man who was close to getting into her life.

Leviethan likes this.
  17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Dark and beautiful. I'm often reminded while watching this season of when Lynch threw everybody for a loop with The Straight Story, -no one thinking he was capable of such emotional range. That film seemed a one-off, but it's obvious that he plugs into something deeper than just weird for weird's sake. The scene with the couple freaking out in the woods was particularly powerful. And the Log Lady's death was truly heartbreaking. Wow.

Gardo, Leviethan and Rich C like this.
  18. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Based on the text message that Evil Cooper sends I think it is now obvious that Diane is working with him. That was my first impression. In watching youtube analysis videos I started to get swayed to the other point of view. Of course we could still be in for quite a surprise. But right now I also think Diane was in on getting her sister to marry manufactured Dougie and putting her in consistent danger. Watching Dougie Cooper see that old movie and recognize Gordon Cole's name uttered was incredible. I think he is back and poor Janey's scream indicates her life is about to completely come apart. Right after she said that she and Dougie were now going to be so happy.

As an aside. They could have definitely used this series to sell electricity conditioning systems to us geeks here. The consistent sound of that dirty, low grade juice throughout could be a way to present the problem. :)

Walt likes this.
  19. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Indeed. Especially the announcement Hawk made to the people he can trust in the darkened conference room. This is family.

20. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

So the girl crawling on the floor in the Bang Bang bar was the same as the blind woman currently in the cells in the Twin Peaks police station? Same actress - Nae Yuuki, listed last in order of appearance in the credits.

21. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Those first ten minutes were... well, I think one of the greatest moments of Twin Peaks ever.

Everett McGill and Peggy Lipton - amazing acting and chemistry.

And one of the best uses of Otis Redding music on film.

22. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I am really going to be upset when this is over

23. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

No, not the same character. The woman crawling on the floor in the Bang Bang bar, Ruby, is played by Charlyne Yi. The woman in the jail cell, Naido, is played by Nae Yuuki.

[​IMG]

This is Charlyne Yi.

[​IMG]

And this is Nae Yuuki.

[​IMG]

24. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wasn't it Charlyne Yi?[​IMG]

25. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Charlyne Yi.was on House?