Vinyl Record weight/stabilizer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ash316, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash316

Ash316 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Anyone use a Vinyl Weight?
    Think it makes a difference?

Technocentral and Past Masters like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Ash I don't, however if you search the hardware section on the forum you'll get some good opinions. My table is from 77, I don't want to risk anymore weight on a motor that old.

Brian Lux likes this.
  3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I read through an earlier thread on this topic here and decided against using one.

4. Ash316

From 77? Hope my Audio-Technica holds up that long :/

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'm even scared of spinning 180's on it :laugh:

Vinyl Addict and Bingo Bongo like this.
  6. Ash316

I first had a new Ion player that didn't like 180 gram records...that almost put me off the vinyl collecting game before I really got going!

c-eling likes this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Lots of threads on this.

I've tried a few, felt nothing.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I decided last week to start using my 16 oz. record weigh with my Thorens TD-124 again.

I had stopped using it because it was causing the center of the sub-platter to sag, which is one of the few week points on a TD-124. I went and got a small nylon washer at the hardware store and put it over the spindle between the main platter and sub-platter, and that provides the needed support for the record weight.

I'm finding that it makes an improvement. Bass is better defined, imaging is more stable, and backgrounds are quieter.

Heckto35 and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Good for flattening out dish warps only, IME.

10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I don't think it "hurts" and if anything it looks cool and adds bling to the setup. Not to mention a conversation piece for "civilians" that may stand in awe before it:)

11. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

SME tables which I have one of, are made to accept the one it comes with. It does make a difference -- it helps to couple the record to the platter with no movement; however so miniscule & the degree of tightness of it on the spindle to the record is critical. IMO, if your TT did not come with one, don't use one. My previous Duals, Pioneers, Garrards, Linns, and others did not & I did not scour the web looking for them. Just my gist on the matter. YMMV.

Best Sir,

Bob

Simon A likes this.
  12. action pact

A lot depends on the platter. One with a recessed center or raised ridges might not work as well as one with a flat surface.

13. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I simply don;t spin without one.

14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] Me neither!

15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Stillpoints Ultra LPI. Expensive, but worth it. Significant improvement in terms of detail and soundstage width and depth.

John K.

advanced101 and FLEMKE like this.
  16. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

HRS Analog Disk Light here. Noticeable improvement for me.

17. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Tried a Bren weight. Didn't notice any difference. Some people swear by them.

18. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I tried one on the Audio Technica table I bought last year and noticed no difference in sound. I've replaced that table with a vintage mid 70's era table and don't want to risk the extra weight on the old motor (even though the motor is considered one of the best) but to me most of these weights are just more trendy items that look cool on those multi-thousand dollar units that give some people their bragging rights but to most of the rest of us I don't think it is necessary with what we use.

19. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

a small spool of solder, placed directly in center of label. works great, and cheap too :)

record weights are snake oil

SandAndGlass and H8SLKC like this.
  20. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Weight combined with an outer ring reduce warp-induced effects and should be audible to the trained ear. Centerweight only is nearly useless, IMO.

21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Never used a "weight". I have used a Mitchell Clamp on my old Music Hall. I noticed it firmed up the bass a bit. I also thought it was a pain to remove it and filp the record. I need 2 hands to flip the record, So I had to put the clamp down, the flip the record. Small thing to do, but I got annoyed by it. Only used on records with warps. It helped sometimes. I ended up getting a better turntable to resolved mushier bass.

22. action pact

Or maybe the benefits are only realized on a more revealing turntable.

Heckto35 and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I'm in the snake oil camp, except when using one to reduce warping. Have tried them and found no difference at all. There is so much placebo going on in audio, clearly exploited by manufacturers and dealers. It's truly amazing how wonderfully suggestible human beings are.

24. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

People swear by record weights but I've tried a few and found them to be unnecessary. Don't even get me started on the outer ring clamp types.

I have a Thorens table and I use a cheapo weight with that one to spin up the record prior to clicking over the motor, they say this helps minimize belt wear. On the Thorens table the weight contributes to the sprung weight of the platter/subchassis so the springs had to be adjusted to compensate.

I used to have a Michell Tecnodec with the Michell clamp and I found that far more useful than a weight, the clamp's premise is to couple the record to the platter which worked well for the Tecnodec in particular. Never should have sold that one!

Also have a Bren1 weight which looks real cool but almost never use it, don't notice much of a change with or without it on my DD tables. It's overpriced jewelry IMO and with a SL-1200 you can't fully close the lid with the weight on the platter.

25. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Not sure a weight does much, but a screw on clamp works wonders. Flattens the record, helps with warps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.