"To The Bone" - 5th Steven Wilson Album, 8/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’d still say that Wilson doesn’t have an all too original sound of his own compared to my favorites, but will freely admit to loving Porcupine Tree and, as far as his own work, The Raven That Refused to Sing. I love PFM. I only really like Camel’s Moonmadness. Gentle Giant are far from a favorite (talented musicians, though). ELP I enjoy only in small doses --- never considered them an absolute favorite. I don’t care much for Triumvirat. I do like Van der Graaf Generator (esp. The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other, H to He Who Am The Only One, Pawn Hearts and Godbluff). I just didn’t list them as I wanted to list my main favorites.

2. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I see it as the generous return policy being manipulated for an unintended purpose.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Simon_LDT likes this.
  3. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I only discovered Camel about ten years ago. Although I quite like the entire catalog, the album that gives me shivers is Rajaz. Would be a really really good Hackett album, but it isn't Hackett.

Starcastle? Kansas?

Great Prog Albums by Bands Not Usually Prog:

Grateful Dead: Mars Hotel and Blues for Allah
    Little Feat: Time Loves a Hero
    Supertramp: Crime and Crisis

Oh dear, this should be a new thread

DaverJ likes this.
  4. Mirror Image

Oh well. I suppose you’re one of those “do as I say, not as I do” people and look down on anyone that doesn’t act the same as you. :sigh:

5. Mirror Image

No to both Starcastle and Kansas. American prog, in general, isn’t my cup of java.

6. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

It's a mean old world

7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Really? Don't make this about me. I'm critiquing your stated intentions.

I respect that you don't like the content but there is nothing you can say to persuade me that a return based on artistic content is remotely ethical. I don't care if we are talking about Amazon, Amoeba or a mom & pop shop.

SirMarc, Guss2, theclogs2002 and 7 others like this.
  8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Is there a 100% satisfaction guarantee money back policy on every products sold by Amazon?

Rather than sending it back to Amazon, why don't you really express yourself by sending it back to SW himself, telling him how disappointed you are about the musical direction he has taken and his bad taste for art cover...

Sincerely, we all buy music that are not meeting our expectations. The best thing to do is to leave it aside for a while, re-listen to it again and as an extreme measure resell it as someone previously suggested.

Btw, what format did you buy?

9. Mirror Image

Personally, if I’m that disgusted with something, then I see no harm is returning it. As I said, this is something I normally would never do, but I felt compelled to do it with To The Bone, because it’s just garbage from start to finish. Sorry you don’t agree with what I did and view it as unethical, but I’m not looking for your approval.

10. Mirror Image

I imagine that Wilson couldn’t give a flip what I thought about the album, so that’s definitely out of the question. As for the format I bought it in, I bought the CD release of it.

11. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I think Mirror Image actually likes the album. He is in denial of himself and is what his name is which is a mirror image of what he says which is reversed of what is in the mirror. He really loves this album and that is why he is constantly coming here to help promote the album but just doing it in a strange way. I can tell from his posts that he likes it so much that he is going to frame the LP jacket and put it beside his Alvin and the Chipmunks cover.

abor1g, Runicen, utopiarun and 2 others like this.
  12. Mirror Image

You nailed it! I love this album so much I’m sending it back for a refund. Totally busted! :D

13. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Nah you are not sending it back. You have it on repeat constantly as we are typing. Admit it. This is why you are constantly coming here.

Runicen and Kalli like this.
  14. Norco74

LOL

And buy back the Super Deluxe edition!

15. Trying to pigeon hole Wilson as prog rock is like saying Bob Dylan is a protest song folk singer.Im sure people threw out their copies of Bringing It All Back Home with the same self righteous fury people are going after Permeating.
    Great album.One of the year's best.

16. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I bet he has bids on ebay for a Deluxe edition right now.

17. Mirror Image

Man, you’re too good! Move over, Sherlock! :laugh:

18. Mirror Image

That was correct to include the plural form of bid, because that is exactly what I have happening as we speak. I have 5 bids on 5 different Deluxe Editions right now. :D

ryaneagon likes this.
  19. Norco74

I am done with this non-sense.

Listening to The Watch-Ghosts album right now. Mellotron and bass pedals all over...

20. Mirror Image

Me too. Members know how I feel about the album by now (I think). o_O

21. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

This thread really shows just how polarizing the record is!

1) Sending it back to Amazon under false pretenses is just wrong, fraudulent. Don't. Maybe you think that its just some big corp and no harm done but it is still wrong, but that's ultimately your call and your conscience.

2) It may not ever be in my fave SW records but when the mood hits I think I'll get a lot of enjoyment from it - don't dismiss it too soon, look for the moment when you want to hear that side of his persona (it's what I do wth GfD and Raven)

Wait...give it a go again when the mood hits.

22. Mirror Image

1. Actually, to put this to rest for good, I’m not sending it back under false pretenses --- I explained everything to Amazon in an email earlier today and they accepted the return and will issue a refund, but not the full amount I paid, which I’m completely fine with.

2. There have been albums I’ve dismissed in the past, but I never have been more disappointed with an album as I have with To The Bone. Sorry, but I have no intentions on hearing it again, especially whenever there’s plenty of music that I enjoy or haven’t heard that warrants my attention. When I’m soured on something, it takes a long for me to give it another go.

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Excellent album!

24. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Okay, I can accept that, and to be honest I've had that same feeling in more than one occasion in the past. Like you, I've rid myself of those releases too.

But....in a couple cases I've ended buying them again, and in many I've never missed them...so, just be sure and not too hasty - I know where you're coming from!

Mirror Image likes this.
  25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.