Genesis Album Poll: “A Trick of the Tail” (1976)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I love the early Gabriel-less albums very much. This one is great overall but Wind and Wuthering even better

Rufus rag likes this.
  2. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

My favorite album of all time. This album is my happy place. It takes me away to a lush misty English country side where all my problems and worries drift away. Phil's drumming is incredible and his vocals are stellar especially on Mad Man Moon. Mike proves he is the secret weapon dancing between bass and guitar and unleashing his powerful bass pedals at just right moment always. Steve's is graceful and proves just why he was the perfect lead guitarist for Genesis. And finally Tony... this really is his baby. This album shows that he is the soul of Genesis and is undeniably one the greatest keyboardists ever. He never needs to show off, he always plays just the right thing. The mellotron solo on Entangled might be the most beautiful thing my ears have ever heard. But I could also say the same thing about the bridge to Ripples. Oh I wish the four man era lasted longer....

GoodKitty, TLMusic, jeffd7030 and 4 others like this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

A great record and without a doubt the best without Peter.

jeffd7030 and Front 242 Addict like this.
  4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

The pinnacle of post Gabriel Genesis.

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Best prog album ever? Maybe.

6. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

A great Genesis album. Not the best, but up there, ceratainly.

Dance On A Volcano/Los Endos, really found their life in live performance...very powerful.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I think its nothing more than okay. My uncles who got me into Genesis (and thought w/ PG it was their favorite band) thought this was an excellent effort....and they are highly critical of everything. So that's high praise.
    Personally, I find them boring with Phil. He's a great drummer. I like some of Genesis's hits, but overall they are univolving to me.

SirMarc and pinkrudy like this.
  8. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

My favourite Genesis album too. It's awesome! :agree:

9. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The only two songs that are 'just' above filler are Mad Man Moon & Robbery, Assault and Battery, the rest is classic Genesis.

A pretty solid effort category!

ohnothimagen and pinkrudy like this.
  10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yeah!

11. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Probably my favorite Genesis album. A must have.

12. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I voted essential. Tied with Selling England as my favorite prog era Genesis.

winopener likes this.
  13. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Their best along with Wind & Wuthering. Ripples is still my favorite Genesis song. Put 'It's Yourself' in place of 'Wot Gorilla' and you have perfection.

14. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

One of my favorite Genesis releases. Everything falls into place.

danielbravo and Front 242 Addict like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"A Trick The Tail" is Genesis very own "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". The star is gone yet the whole team is so finely tuned, going ahead at full throttle that they deliver what is easily one of the best entries to their body of work.

Too bad PG didn't return.

16. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

I'd say "A pretty solid effort"!

17. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

I love this album. It's my second favourite after Selling England By The Pound but it's the only Genesis album I have on vinyl as of now, because it was passed down from my mom (who loves it too btw). Mad Man Moon and the title track are the highlights with Squonk and Dance On A Volcano coming in as the second best songs.

jeffd7030, Front 242 Addict and PGB like this.
  18. John54

John54 Senior Member

Essential, like everything through the next LP Wind and Wuthering (I may have said "all their '70s releases" elsewhere, which I don't quite mean).

I can live without Dance on a Volcano and Los Endos. I find those squeaky things grating. It wouldn't have taken much effort to make them listenable ...

On the plus side, there are no three better consecutive songs anywhere than Entangled, Squonk and Mad Man Moon. The first three on side 2 don't quite reach the same plateau, particularly Robbery Assault and Battery, but they're still pretty good.

19. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

This is my favorite Genesis album, and is what I believe to be one of the greatest prog albums ever recorded. To me, it's second only to Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  20. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Yeah for me it is the best album for this band and a top 20 member of best albums, period

I like Lamb and Selling England a lot. Seconds out is pretty good also

Octowen likes this.
  21. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

My favorite record of all time - for years. Never gets old, and can you guess which one is second?

This was the album that solidified Genesis for me. The record that made me pay attention and get everything. Entangled is the best song on the album. I swear to god, the ending is the best studio Mellotron moment. The mood Tony evokes all over this record is to die for, and Phil sounds so innocent hear that it all works so well. Everyone is in top form, Mike shows his lyrical capabilities with Ripples, Hackett is a bit missing but finds a place on every track regardless. Love it so much. Would post a picture of my first press UK of it but it's late here - I can't compete with some of the other members here but that was my show off piece if you will hehe. Essential for any fan of rock music period. Well, maybe those who like something a bit softer.

22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Highly Strung? :D

23. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Heh. Not my avatar for it's music, just like the art. It's a pretty weak album.

Oh, and I meant my second Genesis favorite. It's Wind and Wuthering, which might still make my top 10 records.

24. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Hi Marvin, mine too, although #2 after Selling England, and tied with Wuthering (see you on BtP next time :wave:). Peter B.

Marvin and Denim Chicken like this.
  25. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Well "Earl", let's see. Anything to do with Wind? Or Wuthering (which drives spell-checkers crazy)? :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.