Count basie orchestra : where to start ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coolsound, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident Thread Starter

with the death of the great actor jerry lewis, i discovered this video : watch . i love this music, but don't know much about count basie and his orchestra. what to buy on CD with a good sound (not brickwalled ) ? compilation ? full albums ? thanks for your help.

2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Atomic Basie. Magnificently Essential.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I agree wholly with this! Then, the Basie/Sinatra release(s) are very special...my favourite Franks.

Then, most compilations are good; The Ken Burns Jazz one is actually very good.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  4. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Get these two, burn them onto one 80 minute CD, adding April in Paris, crank things up and hold on! SERIOUSLY!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Can anyone recommend a good Count Basie album for showcasing Sonny Payne's drumming? For reference, I've pasted the list of albums he features on from Wikipedia below...

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  6. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Just listened to Live in Japan ‘78 (Pablo) and was blown away! What a band even towards the end.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  7. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Trying to find a singular starting point with The Count can be difficult...for his early work, I would recommend either The Complete Decca Recordings 3 CD set, or the Columbia 3 CDs of The Essential Count Basie...a unique treat is his re-recordings of that material with his "New Testament" band on Roulette's The Count Basie Story 2 CD set...the Roulette Best of Count Basie rounds up a solid single disc of his prime 50's material...and there's a 4 disc Pablo set called The Golden Years that features some tighter, smaller groups and collabs with various singers and artists...

Then there's the Mosaic sets of Roulette Studio, Roulette Live, and Complete Clef/Verve 50s material...It's really hard to find a bad place to start...just dig in and explore...Basie had such a long and fruitful career, that may have a few flat spots here and there, but is overall a rich catalog of swing and big band jazz...Enjoy!

jonathan, eno789, zen and 1 other person like this.
  8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Happy Birthday to The Count!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.