Recap my original Advent loudspeakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bananas&blow, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

So I have a pair of 1972 original Advent loudspeakers. I'm going to assume the cross-overs could use to be re-built. 45 year old caps and such. I haven't read much about re-capping speakers.

Anyone re-cap speakers or rebuild the cross-overs? Notice much improvement?

I use these with a rebuilt Marantz 2245 and a future turntable.

I have a professional who will do it for $100. I've used the speakers on and off for 25 years. Still like the sound. Don't ask me to do it myself, I know nothing of the labor, i just listen to the system.

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It's easy! Anyone can do it. You can buy the caps for cheap at just about any electronics supply website. It's a little tricky getting you hands(depending on the size)through the woofer hole in the cabinet with a soldering iron, but I recommend cutting the leads just below the old cap and soldering the new caps to the old leads. Don't try to remove the crossovers. They were meant to stay in there with numerous staples and glue. How are the surrounds? You can do that yourself as well. it's not rocket science.

I use to build model cars and airplanes when I was young. I use those same skills when doing this kind of repair. Advent speakers are wonderful and every pair is worth saving. It makes me sad to see when folks cannibalize their speakers to sell the pieces on ebay. With a little patience you can have them back in great working order and good to go for another 20 years or so. It also empowers you with the knowledge that you can use again and again.

I just refurbished (2) pairs that I bought for $100.00. The are kicking butt right now.

PS: Not all caps need to be replaced. I have had some originals that are still working fine some 40 years later. It's just convenient to do in when you have the speakers apart.

SandAndGlass, Dennis0675 and Manimal like this.
  3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I had my pair of AR 6's recapped by a pro. I didn't want to mess with fiberglass plus I had rebuilt pots installed at the same time. They did sound much better afterwards. When crossover caps age excessively, they allow frequencies that are too low to enter the midrange and or tweeter. Frequencies not intended for those speakers are passed causing distortion and possible damage.

4. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Advents are so nice. For $100, I'm sure they are worth it.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If you like the sound, why recap them? The recap could make them sound quite different. Is it worth $100 to recap Large Advents? I don't think so.

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You'll get all kinds of suggestions including those who say don't do it. I say do it and do it right. Higher quality caps do sound better than the cheap ones, but even cheap film caps will be an improvement over electrolytics, especially ones as old as yours.

IME, not once has a speaker I've recapped sounded worse than before and that includes new speakers.

Don't forget to upgrade the crappy stock resistors.

McLover, bru87tr, Mike-48 and 7 others like this.
  7. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

My recapped AR 6's are paired with a Marantz 2220B. Nice combo. Very nice.

8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Agreed.

9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the resistors. I'll mention it to him. I think I'm going to do it. The sound from these speakers just captures the 70's sound that I listen to the most. I have to drive 2 hours up to Prescott to do it, but my Marantz is up there anyways right now.

Dennis0675 and PhxJohn like this.
  10. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Another Phoenician !

Bananas&blow likes this.
  11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Don't have them replaced with the same block resistors. Use something like Mills or Mundorf Mox with Mills being the bit warmer of the two.

Billy Budapest and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

As the caps dry out, the crossover frequency changes.

Daily Nightly and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'd do it. I have a pair of New Large Advents that I had recapped a few years ago and I love them even though I'm not currently using them. I'm currently using a pair of KLH Model 5 speakers with my tube system that were restored. I also have recapped AR-2ax that I rotate in the tube system. The Advents are a terrific two way speaker IMO and I'll hook them back up again for a run soon.

Guitarded and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

I didn't realize that old caps could change the cross over frequencies. I had a pair of Large Vents reformed/reconed this spring and love the way they sound (trying to figure out a 2nd system listening room). I trust the guy that did the work and told me the cross overs "were fine" but.... wonder if some more work should have been done. Planning another pair to refoam/recone this fall so might revisit.

15. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I also replace the wiring inside the speakers and solder the wire ends directly onto the binding posts and speaker driver terminals. This might be more than some people would like to take on but if you have your speaker already taken apart...

I also use Mills and Mundorf resistors in my speaker upgrades. I was thinking of trying Duelund resistors also, when they are on sale at Parts ConneXion.

Scott

16. harby

harby Forum Resident

I also like to build a new MDF cabinet to replace the old delaminated and stapled plywood, and the speaker drivers with dried ferrofluid and crumbling surrounds are also good candidates for replacement.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If you ever need an extra let me know.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They're just ceramic resistors. If I had it to do over again I'd leave the resistors. Ceramics do not go bad.

VU Master likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There much of a crossover in there, as I recall: One resistor and two caps would be the only thing that would have eroded to the Point of replacement. A pair of large advance that were kept inside a home and not exposed to a lot of crap the other guts should be fine. They Dripped a lot of goo on some components that should have ordered off oxidation.

20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Not a matter of going bad, it's a matter of superior sound quality.

21. triple

triple Senior Member

Perhaps they don't go bad for a reason - because they are just bad caps? ;)

F1nut and Dave like this.
  22. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

FWIW, I spoke to our local vintage electronics guru in town here. He is an 80 something year old guy who has worked on a **** ton of these speakers. He said he could test my capacitors, but that Advent used caps that were very high quality, and that they rarely go bad.

23. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

I would listen to them if they have been out of service. If they sound good, dont sweat it. I recapped a pair awhile back thinking it would be a quantum leap in performance, it wasnt. Just enjoy them for what they are. An easy DIY project is to bring the exterior cabinet up to speed if need be. A fun, relaxing, weekend "beer project"!

clhboa, bru87tr and Rockin' Robby like this.
  24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Time to find a new tech, IMO.

Here's a link to some pictures of your crossover. There's nothing high quality about any of the components.

Advent Loudspeaker Crossover Pair | eBay

sushimaster likes this.
  25. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

I think his point was that they don't usually go bad.
    I don't personally have an opinion on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.