The Who - My Generation Super Deluxe Edition box set coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

For me, the SHM just sounds fresher and more as though you're there in the room with the band. IMVHO.

vudicus likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Indeed. The 2012 SHM set is taken from a transfer of the master tapes, while the SDE is taken from a copy tape. The master tapes have better clarity; the SDE sounds rolled-off in comparison.

vudicus likes this.
  3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Am I also right in thinking that the 2014 HD-download used the same source as the 2012 SHM-CD?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's not. It's similar to the SDE.

vudicus likes this.
  5. gilbertasm

gilbertasm Forum Resident

Anyone knows if earlier My Generation 2 SHM-CD from 2008 (UICY-93533/4) sounds the same as 2012 version? Or 2012 version use different mastering/sources?

6. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The 2011 SACD version is from the original 1st generation master tapes. The 2008 Japanese issue, 2012 UK CD, 2014 hi-res and 2016 Super Deluxe all use the same source, which is inferior.

wayneklein likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That isn't the question, nor is it correct.

Both 2 CD sets use the mono masters (except for the master take of Circles). However, the 2008 CD is very loud; the 2012 much less so.

8. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

I was listening to the various versions of Out In The Street on the SDE Box and I noticed that two of them seem to be the same. I don't hear any difference between the 2014 stereo mix (Disc 2 track 1) and the "Alternate Take One" mix (Disc 4 track 1).

Can anybody point out what is different between these two tracks?

I have a theory that the "Alternate Take One" on the SDE Box was supposed to be the alternate version that appears on the 2014 HD Tracks (track 28) that was mislabeled "Instrumental Stereo" on that release. That and Circles are the only 2 tracks on the HD release that didn't make it to the SDE Box.

Unless someone can spot a difference between the two tracks it appears that they put the same track on the SDE Box twice!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened with a release.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

That is indeed what happened. It was a mastering/compiling error.

These things will happen when you have a mastering engineer who uses copy tapes because he thinks they "sound better"!!!

11. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Hey I saw somebody mention the Who's Missing and Two's Missing mixes earlier, and it got me thinking...why didn't the new My Generation super deluxe set use those stereo mixes. Personally those are my go-to's for songs like "Leaving Here" and a few others. So why did there have to be new mixes done for the bonus stereo tracks?

And another thing or two. Is the mono mix of "Instant Party Mixture" on this set a vintage mono mix or something newly done? And secondly, is the stereo mix the same one from the 2002 deluxe set?

marc with a c likes this.
  12. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

The Who's/Two's mixes (among other things) probably should have been included.

They wanted to create HD digital files of the Talmy era tracks (and they decided to use the opportunity to add back in some of the parts that were missing from the 2002 mix) which is how the 2014 mixes came about.

It's thought that the mono Instant Party Mixture is new (it was first released in 2014), and the stereo mix is from the 2014 mixes as well.

13. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

£39.99 on Amazon UK just now.

dee and arthurprecarious like this.
  14. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I had it in my basket, as I have the Tommy / Leeds / Quadrophenia boxes. But I just don't care about the album at all...

15. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

I have the 2002/2003 SACD. What is the source for that release?

16. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@lukpac you're up

pablo fanques likes this.
  17. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I call that a bargain - the best you ever had.

Seriously, well worth £40. Buy

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2002 remixes.

19. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. :(

20. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I did, picked up Fresh Cream SDE as well, 29.99.

RiRiIII and arthurprecarious like this.
  21. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Is the 3 LP My Generation worth it for $26 shipped on amazon? I'm considering it but not sure. I like the 60s Who stuff the most but don't have anything on vinyl.

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The master tapes weren't used for this version of MG. You might prefer Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy when it's released on vinyl in October.

23. atlantasteven

atlantasteven Mercy Mercy Me

When I play CD 1, the mono disc, on my Oppo 203, the artwork shows James Last, Games That Lovers Play. Funny, but annoying.

24. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

This thread died in Oct. Here we are at Black Fri almost and I am getting deal alerts for this box. I am unfamiliar with the details so I have tried to digest the thread in a couple of hours. The first twenty pages are pretty much jokes and speculation on the content.
    The consensus seems to be a thumbs down. The main objections seem to be (correct me where I'm wrong):
    1. There are over-dubs on some of the songs - I guess done by Pete and Roger with the same guitar and mike, as stated in the advertisement.
    2. Some of the tracks are available elsewhere on previous releases.
    3. Inferior, 2nd generation sources were used for the tracks.

If I should pass on this box, which set should I pick up?
    This one? - The Who - My Generation ?

One other question, briefly - What is so "terrible" about the Leeds box (aside from the Hull disc being available separately)?
    Thanks for any info....

25. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Depends on the price for me. I got it for £40. Bargain. Nice package too.