Good-Sounding Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller Discs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZenArcher, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

If you have either the 3 disc or 4 disc Avid set, let us know how the sound quality compares to the 2 disc Columbia referred to above.

I once had the Columbia set but got rid of it because of IMO bad sound quality. I still have both Avid sets, but haven't listened to either in a long time and don't remember what the SQ is like - although I have no memory of it being as bad as suggested in the posts above.

2. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

On Brad Olsen's recommendation, I only have the above mentioned set as well as the Columbia "Complete" 2 disc version from 2013(?)

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

@Chazzbo13 What do you think of the 80s Benny Goodman At Carnegie Hall fatboy release?

4. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Just started disc 2...have to admit, I'm not missing the surface noise...but I also know I'm not as selective when it comes to"authentic" sound (life choices and personal finances mean that I do the vast majority of listening on computer or iPod)YMMV...as far as the flow of the album itself, it feels more like a singular performance instead of simply raw recordings, complete with long pauses for band changes, etc (2013 version)...

5. BradOlson

I am glad you like this 80s release as in fact I love the feel that the 80s release has in that it feels like a singular performance. It sounds like you will go back to the fatboy release when you are in the mood for this great album.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  6. BradOlson

@greelywinger Did you pick up an 80s CD release of Benny Goodman At Carnegie Hall yet?

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I can't remember if I already got it or it's coming (probably the latter).

Darryl

8. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

For individual selective song performances - say, for my "car" iPod, will most likely come from the "Complete" release, whereas listening the album as a whole is more likely to be the 80s edition...choice is a good thing...

9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

10. What's your opinion? I have the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces series two disc fat jewel case version from 1989ish and wonder if this is worth upgrading.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Over three years later. Anybody know?

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Only if you like heavy use of NR.

Darryl

13. BradOlson

Keep the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces release but for the complete concert, get the 2013 remaster on Columbia/Legacy.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. BradOlson

Do you like the 80s Columbia release of Benny Goodman At Carnegie Hall?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. Do you have the 2013 remaster? I can't seem to find it on Amazon nor Discogs?

16. BradOlson

17. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I just bought the complete Benny Goodman Victor small groups on the Jazz Tribune series (4 LPs). I hope they sound as good as the Duke Ellington small group LPs.

18. misterjones

Anyone have a view about the Jasmine Benny Goodman Rhythm Makers CD set as compared to the Sunbeam LPs?

19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have both the 1987 CJM and the 2013 Legacy. Just picked up the CJM yesterday at a Goodwill store for $1.99. I like the sound on that one better than the Legacy.

BradOlson likes this.
  20. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

greatmrb | eBay
    check here for some Benny Goodman and other Big Band Jazz musicians.

21. misterjones

Is the CJM the one with all the snap, crackle and pop left in? I'm usually OK with that, but I find it really distracting in this concert.

22. Carl Swanson

I guess so, but for the Legacy reissue, they went too far in the opposite direction. Remember, this concert was not professionally recorded; just one mic suspended over the stage. We're lucky to have it at all.

23. misterjones

So the CJM is not the Legacy reissue? I believe the Legacy reissue is the one with the noise that I don't like. Can you post a link to or a picture of the CJM? I'm now really confused about what's what. Here's what I (think I) know:

(1) this is the one I don't like (too much extraneous noise) - https://www.amazon.com/Carnegie-Hall-Concert-Benny-Goodman/dp/B00002MZ2L
    (2) this the Jasmine version that I do like (decent noise reduction) - https://www.amazon.com/Benny-Goodma...rd_wg=AtxwG&psc=1&refRID=M60Q75SMN7M9KW0FPHXZ
    (3) I have selected songs on a Columbia six-eye LP - which does not sound as f=good as the Jasmine CD - but I understand the more recent reissues come from a superior source.

24. Carl Swanson

(1) is the Legacy reissue of 1999 (not 2013 as erroneously stated in my previous post). The cover image is a reproduction of the 1950 LP set.

[​IMG]

The CJM was issued by Columbia in 1987. Why they used an image for the cover that appears to be from the 1960s I cannot say.

[​IMG]

misterjones likes this.
  25. misterjones

If those are the choices, I'll stick with Jasmine's version for now and keep my fingers crossed they have something planned for 2018. Dylan fans go ape over those Sony mega sets. How about a multidisc set that includes the Carnegie Hall concert and all those 1937-38 air checks plus more. Give it to us, baby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.