Do I really need an SACD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Eric Weinraub, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Of course, as per usual, folks are speaking of subjective opinions as though they were hard facts. I haven't heard an ESS Sabre DAC that I liked better than my Gumby, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor does it mean that there is not someone out there that would not prefer the 9308 in the Oppo. I liked my 105 a lot, but haven't listened to it since getting the Shiit. I actually like the Sabre DAC in my Nova better than the higher end one in the Oppo, but not as well as the one in the Duet.

SandAndGlass and tmtomh like this.
  2. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I'm 10 years behind the times as well, but that's economically also. Is there a reasonably affordable way to download and permanently store, say, 100 operas in 5.1 in DSD or hi-res PCM and listen to them for pleasure that is within the same universe of price as an SACD collection? Seriously, talk to me like I'm stupid. How would you do this?

tmtomh likes this.
  3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

There are a few companies that seem to prefer the ESS 9016 over later models. My McIntosh preamp uses one despite being a 2016 model, as did my last McIntosh DAC that was made well into the 9018 era. FedEx is bringing me an Oppo 205 today, so it will be interesting to compare them.

SandAndGlass, tmtomh and BayouTiger like this.
  4. BayouTiger

If you are really 10 years behind the times, it's not likely that you have an internet connection that would make downloading 100 5.1 DSD Operas at 6-10GB each. If a dedicated player works for you, seems to me that would be the way to go. Every one is different. My Oppo hasn't even been plugged in in weeks. I was going to get a 205, but between not really listening to music through it and there being very little 4K video content that interests me, I'll be sitting it out for awhile.

5. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

yes
    Im happy with my Esoteric

FLEMKE, Tullman and F1nut like this.
  6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Sure, that's probably true. I have regular Time Warner Cable internet and it does the job but I don't ordinarily download 10GB files. I've uploaded a 13GB file on occasion. But it sounds like realistically you'd need several 1TB drives, which right there is the cost of an Oppo. And then you buy a DAC that will handle 5.1? (or three dacs? seriously talk to me like I'm stupid) and some kind of computer system on which you keep the software platform that will allow you to select those DSD files and play them back through the DACS. What is the investment for that sort of arrangement? Just curious what your cash outlay would be for a modern version of an Oppo 203 that will handle all formats (i.e., your disc storage and your "playback" mechanism/software and your DACs - your whole front end). As opposed to $550 for the Oppo I mean. If we are all going in this direction I'll have to do it at SOME point. one caveat - I don't care about video AT ALL. As far as I'm concerned the video portion is the menu and it takes up way too much space...

7. BayouTiger

Well, if you want the benefits of the much better DAC you would be looking at the Oppo 205 for $1300 vs the 203 for $550. I don't think theres a better option than the Oppo units for Multichannel.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Get a 4TB external hard drive, Western Digital would be my recommendation, and get started. Hook it up via USB to a suitable player and say you go. You need to download via a laptop, or similar, but thereafter, it's just transference to your hard drive.

I use this approach and the aforesaid WD external HDD goes into one of the inputs on my Cambridge Audio 752BD and then out to the Quads.

Doug_B and Steve G like this.
  9. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

unless your taste is very conservative/MOR, or classical only, there isn't enough software to make SACD worthwhile, at least buying an expensive player, IMO.

10. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Not really. 100 10gb files comes to about 1TB and you can buy a 2Tb drive for under $100. Buy two: Get extra capacity as well as a back-up (essential).

Used Oppos are a good value but, at the moment, there are only 3 multichannel DACs at $300, $3800 and $12,000.

Just the Oppo and the 2Tb drives. Analog out to the rest of your system.

You can start with just the Oppo and the USB drives for now. Add the computer/server and/or DACs whenever.

tmtomh, Doug_B and Steve G like this.
  11. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Using the Oppo 205 for mch SACD with the Sabre Pro 9308 dacs ,means having to use many sets of analogue cables. I prefer to use only one HDMI cable.

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

thanks Kal that's extremely helpful. So to be clear I have an Oppo 203 not a 205 - can I just buy a 2TB drive and put downloads on it and play it through the system I've got, and, like, it will recognize the DSD files and convert them to analog signals just as if they were an SACD?

13. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Personally, I would go with Tidal and get a DAC that can unfold MQA. Better long term investment. Hard media is mostly on its way out, whether it is vinyl, SACD or whatever.

14. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Well, I haven't tried it. But according to the manual, p. 85 under Input, the entire spec. for USB is: "USB Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM." And in a note on its page 21, "The BDP-105 supports up to 2ch/192kHz PCM signal through its USB audio input, and up to 2ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and AAC signal through its Optical and Coaxial audio inputs." That would seem to preclude DSD. That's from the on-line manual so I assume it's up to date. Even if it did, as the 205 manual says it can, it could not output DSD data from its spdif to an external DAC, so there would be no point if you have the SACD disks. According to the manual you cannot output DSD through the spdif, nor on the 205; I don't know what would be output there with the input of a DSD file.

Have you tried it and does it work?

In any event I personally don't think the Oppo does justice to high rez, and particularly DSD files. That's why people have spent far more than the cost of the unit itself to have it modified. And though it's early, seems like the same thing is going on with the 205, and even the Sonica.

15. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

You have to distinguish between the DAC chip, which in the case of the Oppo 205 is the ESS Sabre Pro 9308 and the full DAC which is all of the circuitry on the DAC board of the Oppo which contains the ESS chips plus its associated power supply. People are already spending far more than the price of the Oppo to have it modded, that is to improve the DAC implementation around the ESS chip so that it will sound better. There are already separate DACs based on the same ESS chip that are said by their owners to clearly outperform, not only the Oppo, but other DACs that have long outperformed the 105 and no doubt outperform the 205. There is no mystery here if you watch the market and follow the forums. Prices range from a bit under $1000 to the stratosphere. I believe I have one which falls neatly into the category, but I'm not trying to sell anything here.

16. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Generally music on SACDs to the extent they are available are cheaper than hi-rez downloads. So one thing you can do is to rip the DSD files off the SACD. The really impoverished can then skirt the copyright and sell the SACD.

17. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I did not say they could not be outperformed by a highend DAC. Hi-rez can be played through a OPPO 105 through the USB.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Me too!

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So, I plug the 2Tb drive into my Oppo. Click on a file and the songs are played in order?

20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

No. But do you want one?

ti-triodes and audiomixer like this.
  21. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

The high end players (e.g., Esoteric) are well worth the money purchased at a good used price. It may be a little older but definitely not inferior technology.

Lonson and F1nut like this.
  22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Tullman I have an Oppo - I have many drives - tonight I plan to see if it will simply play a mix from one of them - wish me luck!

Tullman likes this.
  23. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

And with the oppo app it's a doddle.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

???

Thread Status: