Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Entirely conjecture, no truth to this at all AFAIK.

Lownote30 and Hattipper like this.
  2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Alright, AHM quad extracted and converted to FLAC. I can finally hear Alan wandering off at the end of the album. Thanks again to those who provided information about this.

Bit of a head-scratcher that I had to rip, edit and remaster the Stockholm show to hear it properly and rip and decrypt a Blu-Ray to get all of the AHM quad. I suppose I should consider this a $500 crash course in home audio editing.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How quickly we forget what it was like to find some random overpriced Italian bootleg in the music shop or to get a copy of an x-generation maxel tape of some random tracks. That was pure spun gold and was like finding buried treasure.

Sometimes I miss the days when music was...well...fun.

Glubluk, mastaflatch, anth67 and 7 others like this.
  4. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I have Audacity, and Id like to have a crack at fixing Stockholm.

Could someone explain the difference between the out-of-phase and inverted ones in terms of what to listen out for? Or (given that most of my listening is done through Senny headphones via iTunes) is this something that is only worth doing if it's to be heard on a high-end system? Ta.

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I remember in late 72 early 73 the magic of discovering a place only a short fifteen minute bus ride away that sold bootlegs. Oh the joy, a one LP boot was £2.25 and a double was £4.25 and there were maybe a hundred to choose from, that's all there was, worldwide. People today just don't know how lucky they are.

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Man, I wasted so much money on blank tapes, postage and Euro bootleg CDs/LPs. The worst was when I'd save up and send off my $25 for some recording I didn't have and a clone of another disc I already had shows up claiming to be something else.

7. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Sorry to rehash this, but about the hidden Meddle 5.1, if I want to play this back over my Blu-ray player, confirm this method will work:

1. rip the files using Make mkv
    2. Burn the .Mkv to a DVD as a data file
    3. Play in Blu-ray player into my 5.1 system

Thanks in advance.

8. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

I have tried with Audacity but failed to work out how to invert only one channel. Any help appreciated!

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yep, pretty sure for most Blu-ray players that will work... provided that you set up MakeMKV to keep the 5.1 track, not just the stereo, embedded in the new file to be burned.

marigoldilemma likes this.
  10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I just ripped it to MKV copied it to a USB stick and put that in my Blu-ray player.

Lownote30, Hattipper and aphexj like this.
  11. marigoldilemma

Ah, even easier. Thank you.

rontoon likes this.
  12. marigoldilemma

While have the IT crew at hand, here, let me confirm how I would capture the AHM quad and Meddle 5.1 for playback on stereo equipment.

1. Rip AHM files using Make Mkv, selecting stereo option for the audio format
    2. Open the .mkv file(s) with Audiomuxer and convert to FLAC.

Same steps for Meddle 5.1.

Thanks again.

13. Six Bachelors

In Soundforge I just selected the invert option and it allowed me to pick a channel.

14. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

I found a way eventually with some help from Google. Not convinced it is the slickest but it works. This will encourage me to go back, rip to FLAC and make two disks with phase-corrected Stockholm on one and a continuous mix of Latham on the other.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Is it supposed to be a continuous piece? Or is it multiple cues or variations?

16. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

I had not seen them as variations. I suspect that they are multiple cues intended for different scenes but I wanted to hear it as one piece.

17. Six Bachelors

It plays as a single piece, doesn't it? It sounds like it was recorded straight through.

andrewskyDE and aphexj like this.
  18. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

Just got back to a device with the music on and it is one piece.

19. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I guess John Latham was splitted to 9 tracks to increase band royalties

Chris M, PhoffiFozz and Laservampire like this.
  20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Revisiting this point. Yes, Beechwoods might've come from the tape copied in preparation for the early '68 Syd solo sessions.
    But surely John Latham was not on that tape, so they must've gone back to the Fall '67 reels for that, right?

21. anth67

Only the last segment, 9, seems to start in from somewhere other than its preceding track. Maybe there's an unreleased John Latham 8.5 :D

22. I might mention that although my first reaction to the John Latham material was mixed (at best, putting it mildly)...

...I will say that when I listened to it on a better system (than my little bookshelf system in my bedroom) -- that the whole Latham session jumped out of the speakers at me very positively!! Maybe my expectations going into it (for just the 2nd or maybe 3rd time ever) were REALLY low -- but holy cow, did I ever love it that next time through on my better system. In fact, I listened to it twice that same morning, and again the next day -- with similar results.

I wouldn't ever try and convince anyone to change their opinion of the Latham material -- but if you haven't had any luck with it, maybe upgrade the context you're hearing it in. I'm no audiophile (not by a long shot - see below for clear evidence of that), but I was shocked how much better I connected with the material when I could hear it "more properly" (as I suppose a real audiophile might say).

Please note: I'm SO far from being an audiophile, mind you, that my "better system" is entirely something I've been using quite by accident. 9 months ago my 5-disc somewhat larger bookshelf system died, and after a couple months, I finally got desperate for some tunes in the living room -- so I *finally* hooked up an old multi-disc DVD player to our hi-def TV (which I *hadn't* ever gotten around to doing, ever since I moved to DC back in 2011, some 5 years before -- which tells you about how often I watch DVD's, i.e. practically never). And much to my shock, the fidelity on that "DVD-player + my hi-def TV" (using the TV speakers, mind you) was remarkably better than my old multi-CD bookshelf system.

I wouldn't say the Latham material is anything to get too overly excided about, but under the right circumstance, it can really float my boat.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  23. anth67

I've read plenty about the issue(s) with the Pompeii audio. But it remains true that I have no issue. Spun it yesterday afternoon and it sounded wonderful. As if wooshy cymbals mean the mix sounds like crap ~ which it doesn't at all. Maybe the initial guitar solo in Echoes could be a little louder, but that's about it to my ears.

Besides, I don't exactly think of it as the same cd as the bootleg Pompeii audio. The film mix obviously has some different overdubs on Echoes to accommodate the split parts, and EY has the longer Saucerful intro and extra Careful take (which is pretty different from the other).

Lovely versions of Set the Controls and Echoes, no matter how you slice it.

Hymie the Robot and bobcat like this.
  24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Latham was from the original tapes (I assume). But the tantalizing "Intermental" reel may be lost if they indeed got Beechwoods from a copy.

25. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

I should have checked all of the gaps then! Maybe I need two tracks: John Latham and John Latham (reprise) or (coda)