David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'm good. I've got a broken-down-spine copy like others. :)

oldturkey likes this.
  2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

there's a Low red vinyl on RCA International label that's semi-legit at best, and there are counterfeits of it too. there is no official coloured vinyl Heroes. there is an after-hours one-off orange vinyl Lodger from RCA Canada which i'm guessing you don't have. anything else will be counterfeit.

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I love Ringo's drumming on Plastic Ono Band (and the Yoko album recorded at the same time). As an aside this album is amongst my 10 favourite albums.
    Up thread someone suggested putting out the RCA cds again and of course the RCA version was included in the big Station to Station box although I have never done an A/B comparison.
    Sorry Zongadude I have just read your later post. Ringo does get a bit of stick sometimes but I remain a fan.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    BlueSpeedway and oldturkey like this.
  4. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I don't care if they are counterfeit, they sound better than the 1999 remastered CDs, they include instruments and sounds that have been buried on the '99 CDs, and I'm not talking about some needle movements on a gage I'm talking about obvious sounds that anyone can hear.

So are these new releases going to include all the sounds that Bowie recorded and originally released or just a new label applied to the same CDs?
    Or has no one actually heard them yet?

5. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

They're going to be different to previous masters, because the Parlos trend is to pump up the bass and introduce a couple of surprise edits or buzzes. Did you do the Young Americans blind listening test a couple of weeks ago? The Parlo and the Visconti deluxe edition got the least votes IIRC.

scobb likes this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think you may have to let us know what you think is missing from the 99's. My thoughts are that they (the 99's) are going to be more authentic than a counterfeit (ie an unknown source that has been dubbed)

7. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

no, but i care that you claimed they were "real" RCAs because that's misinformation.

Robert C, BlueSpeedway and weirdoc like this.
  8. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

2 are real RCA one isn't
    all 3 sound better than the '99 CDs

9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

you have two real coloured vinyl RCA editions of Low, Heroes and Lodger? please tell me more.

10. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

okay, I'll just have to wait until October to hear for myself

11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

oh dear.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Must be the side effects of the cocaine. Because it's definitely not love:whistle:

Wilco likes this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

If you would provide the I formation then someone maybe able to help. As it stands, for all we know, you're listening to a yellow Stage, comparing it to the studio versions?

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

So do I. In my mind "basic drumming" didn't have a negative sense at all. It's just a descrpition, not a judgment.

BlueSpeedway, DTK and Flaming Torch like this.
  15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks Zongadude. Most of my music friends do not think highly of Ringo's drumming! I might start a thread one day stating Ringo was the most important member of Les Beatles.
    To sum up folks, Bowie has covered Working Class Hero and Mother from the Plastic Ono Band album.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I'm sure the forum can handle just one more of those, right ?

17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I hope we start a new thread once this box set comes out.

18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

A fresh thread was started immediately after the official announcement of box set title and content. It didn't survive Gort tidyness and got the old thread stitched on top of it.

19. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

I know about Hero, but when did he cover Mother? Was it released?

I kind of like the 79 Space Oddity, though not as much Panic in Detroit which was from the same session, no?

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yes "Panic" dates from the same session, it also was included for some reason on the special 2CD edition of Heathen. Go figure

Here's "Mother" from an unreleased Lennon tribute CD, circa 1998, with Andy Newmark on drums

BlueSpeedway and shadow blaster like this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Oh, definitely. But it will be about the forth set:uhhuh:

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I like it a lot.

23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

pobbard likes this.
  25. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

I've pre-ordered this but I kinda only want 3 vinyl's,..makes me wonder its it worth it for 200 quid for 3 vinyl's.