Must Have MOFI Lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I've had an eye out for some feedback on this one, and Salty Dog. Glad you like it. I may have to try it myself. The question is, as always, where do I draw the line?

2. Reefer Mac

Reefer Mac Forum Resident

I'd say draw the line somewhere after Rumor and Sigh. The music is spectacular as you must already know, and I always liked the sound of the original CD, but the Mofi vinyl is on another level... really a wonder to behold.

This Heat and sonofjim like this.
  3. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?

4. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Tull : Thick as a Brick.

5. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Any opinions on the Bill Evans and Jim Hall/Undercurrent?

6. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Nirvana - Nevermind

7. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Do MoFi LPs sound better with Ortofon carts because of the Ortofon cutting system MFSL use to cut them ?

joshm2286 likes this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Do people prefer the Mofi Deja Vu to the Classic Records pressing?

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I do. I own the Classic Records 200g release and various early pressings but the MFSL is my go to copy.

joshm2286 and Clanceman like this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks

11. Love the new Salty Dog. Disappointed with Layla.

12. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I may have to buy some of these, only a few are available from Music Direct though. But Get Happy!! has long been a favorite of mine and listening to my original vinyl right now it is not too impressive. I would get that because it is on sale, Kiko, Brothers In Arms, and Candy-O if I go for it. Mostly because that is what they have LOL. I agree that MoFi on the cover guarantees little, may be great or maybe meh, definitely more $, so yeah, this is a valuable thread.

13. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yes! RUMOR AND SIGH sounds wonderful

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If your gonna stare at the moon, make it dark.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It's been mentioned a couple times but just another vote here...their Brothers in Arms is more than essential it's practically mandatory.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  16. BJRed

BJRed Well-Known Member

Nirvana - Nevermind 200g
    Pixies - Dootlittle
    The Cars - The Cars
    Faith No More - Angel Dust

17. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

That worked out pretty well. MD has a 20% off going now. I know that the Dire Straits LP is the gold standard so finally getting that will be cool.
    Plus I have been giving all my old original LP's to my son, the band house is starting to have quite a collection of LP's (Bob Fossil, Bandcamp, Spotify) and having a whole band grinning and spinning sure beats someone at Rasputin frowning and offering me a dollar per ;)

18. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Another thumbs up for Rumor and Sigh...amazing. Also just got the Blonde on Blonde box (finally) and holy cow!

19. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I'll add .....Love - Forever Changes.

NorthNY Mark and chacha like this.
  20. scotto

scotto Senior Member

And how could I forget: Kiko! So happy to finally have it on vinyl--a truly awesome listening experience (and I would have bought this LP even if it was 4 Men With Beards).

21. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

OOP or not, these shine sonically:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dmann201 likes this.
  22. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Technically no, from what I've been told. But stylus profiles can be different, so to be honest, I'm now curious as well. There may be some advantage I'm not aware of.

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I currently have 6 cartridges in frequent rotation, two of which are Ortofons. Most MoFi LPs sound very good with all of them but the Ortofons don't have any particular advantage. In fact, I would say the Benz and Airtight are probably best.

24. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Lots of folks don't really care for it, but the Teaser And The Firecat Anadisc 200 is a stunner to me. Same with Time Passages by Al Stewart. Just finished spinning Get The Knack. Luv it, luv it, luv it.

25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

MoFi seems to be following AP's lead and declaring their releases "not eligible for further discount." This isn't a deal breaker necessarily but Music Direct isn't allowing discount on the three newest titles (Salty Dog, Rumor and Sigh, Get the Knack) and neither is Elusive Disc. As of tonight, Acoustic Sounds is. I don't know for how long so, since I've been on the fence, I went ahead and ordered them for 20% off in case I might regret not doing so in the next few days.

Just a heads up for anyone else on the fence I guess. Obviously, taking advantage of a sale price only makes sense if it's something you thought you might buy anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.