Met Chris Robinson today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

I'm a long time Crowes fan. I've been with the band since the first album was released. This was a long time ago, before albums "dropped".

I knew the CRB was in town and really wanted to go but didn't want to spend the cash on tickets. The venue is a former church, really small, and about 3 blocks from my favorite record store, the Attic.

I had a feeling Chris would go to the Attic because most bands do. At least the cool ones do. But I didn't go there today looking for him.

I saw the Black Crowes in 2006 and it was awful. I was telling the story to an Attic employee when in walks Chris! He didn't hear me though. I damn near fell over. He was just looking at albums, wasn't making an "appearance" or anything.

I really wanted to approach Chris, but I've read that Chris is a jag (as we say here in Pittsburgh). But I didn't want to miss the opportunity, either.

I didn't jump on him right away. I let him look around a bit. They had a copy of the new CRB album, which I already own. But I grabbed another copy and approached Chris and asked him to sign it. He was super nice about it and we chatted for a while about the musical direction of the band. I could tell he appreciated (as much as a famous rock star can) that I recognized the growth of the band

I walked away and a guy approached me. He was the manager and told me that the guitarist was in the front of the store and suggested I get him to sign it too. Neal, the guitarist, was really nice too. We talked for a bit about the band going semi funk, and he said he really appreciated that I noticed the new groove of the band.

Then I just walked around the store and a few times I was inches from Chris while he browsed. He's a huge Grateful Dead fan, so I talked with him about the Dead. We were discussing an album I couldn't find, and when I did find it, I showed it to him and we talked more. It was funny though because I said "Hey Chris this is it", when I showed him the album, like we were two fellas shopping for records. Which we were. He was totally unpretentious. Just another guy at a shop.

It was very surreal just to be a few inches from him, talking about the Dead and looking for albums.

At one point his manager asked me if I was going to the show. I told him I couldn't afford it, so he said "let me see what I can do" and I got two free tickets.

Overall a great experience.

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

So this guy was stalking me at the record store before my gig tonight. The mgr gave him free tickets so he wouldn't go all "Single White Female" on me. Whew .... barely escaped with my life.

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I do not own any Black Crowes albums, although recall liking a few of their songs I heard in the 1990s. This Funk Direction has me interested though. What is the name of the album where they play more of a FUNK Sound?

BTW-I used to live in the Steel City. Is Rusted Root officially done as recording together(and touring), as I recall buying a new Album on CD that was released in the past 10 years(not all of the original members though), but have not kept up since then.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  4. Guy Gadbois

Get Barefoot In The Head, or Any Way You Love We Know How You Feel. They're really great and funky. CRB is like an Americana funk band now, at least to me.

The Root still plays a few shows a year

enro99 and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  5. Guy Gadbois

Oh and Chris loves Krautrock. Who knew?

Scope J, dadonred, nsmith1002 and 3 others like this.
  6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

This is great and all, but you didn't ask him if "The Lost Crowes" reissue was going to be brickwalled? Total missed opportunity! :D

ianuaditis, JasonA, Bonddm and 4 others like this.
  7. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Cool experience

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  8. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Great story - I'm glad to hear that they treated you respectfully!

In general, these stories sometimes seem to straddle a delicate line - bands can be road-weary, leery of lingering crowds, inconsiderate of casual fans, or rude to everyone in their path.

I'm sure you'll always treasure such a memorable encounter!
    Congratulations :)

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  9. Guy Gadbois

I seriously wanted to ask him about that stuff, and if the later Crowes albums were going to be reissued on vinyl. But I didn't want to push it

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How was the show? :)

11. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Great story. It's great when an encounter like that goes well.

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Neal Casal: groovy prolific guitarist... good thing to get his sign.

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

The Attic is a great hang no matter who is in there. :cool:

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  14. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Ageeed. Everytime I'm back home in Pittsburgh (which is 4-5 times a year), that's the one record store I never skip!

Guy Gadbois and Fender Relic like this.
  15. Fender Relic

Yeah, it used to be Jerry's for many years until it got to the point where I couldn't find stuff in there. I got hip to The Attic and suddenly my want list got whittled down. But, don't expect to find any Jazz records in Pittsburgh unless they're under lock and key at some location unbeknownst to me. Even The Attic has failed me there. I figured with all the great Jazz artists from Pittsburgh it'd be like strolling thru the Jazz orchard and picking the low hanging fruit.....:shake:

jpmosu likes this.
  16. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

5 minutes away from The Attic is Music to My Ear on Babcock Blvd.

Not cheap, but I've found jazz LPs there from time to time.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  17. Fender Relic

I just discovered MTME earlier this summer and picked up a few things from my want list including an orignal Dusty In Memphis which I couldn't find in any other 'burgh joint after a year of looking. The price was even way below ebay fares. But, yeah, MTME is high end all the way.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Funny that, I met this guy that said how he liked my band's new funk direction, to be polite I just went along with him.;)

Clanceman and Erik B. like this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Sounds like he lit yore candle. Good for you!

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

My sons school played Robert Morris and the wife and I stayed in the city and hit a couple of stores that weekend. The Attic was one of them. Found a nice copy of Stanley Clarke School Days as well as a couple of others. Nice play, friendly employees too.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  21. Both a good and very smart answer to that question. :edthumbs:

22. Guy Gadbois

Really terrific

23. Guy Gadbois

Sadly Jerry's hasn't been good for years. Lots of flea market type albums

24. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Interesting!

25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

What a great story! What a great memory this will make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.