If you could encapsulate the 70's with 1 album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by midniteinsanjuan, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No one has to except anything. I don't except 90 percent of the choices posted here as they are obviously just peoples' favourites or just for a joke. And, it's not about how good an album is. Kind of lazy - why wouldn't someone want to read the thread title more carefully?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  2. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

Denim - Back in Denim

3. APH

APH Forum Resident

[​IMG]

rod and JP Christian like this.
  4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Someone who I think has not been mentioned yet.....Jackson Browne! He was probably the 70's artist who got played the most by my wife and I. Her favorite was always Late For The Sky but to me Running On Empty was a pretty good example of the 70's.

lightbulb and Zeki like this.
  5. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

Impossible for me. So many.

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Is there a various artists anthology that encapsulates the diversity of the decade including singer/songwriters, outlaw country, hard rock, pleasant pop, Southern rock, prog, arena rock, jazz fusion, disco, punk, early rap, etc.? That would be a pretty decade-defining sampler. Some of those K-Tel comps and Warner/Reprise Loss Leader albums may actually come close.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Bad Girls
    [​IMG]

Yost likes this.
  8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've been enjoying this thread just to see such a wide range of responses. Granted, I wasn't born until the following decade, but I always got very strong impressions of the '70s from the music my parents exposed me to.

While it'll probably cause a grim chuckle from people who actually lived the decade, the '70s to my developing mind seemed like a sort of eternal summer. It was also a wide world, which makes it damned impossible for me even on the outside to pull up one platter and say, "This covers everything." I tried and every suggestion that cropped up elicited a, "Yeah, but what about..."

Funny aside, my Mom was a graphic designer and she had a copy of the Hipgnosis book "Walk Away Rene," which covered a lot of their best known work along with how it was constructed. To me, THAT covers a lot of the breadth of ideas present in the '70s, though I may be alone in that.

lightbulb likes this.
  9. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

This one:

Silk Degrees is practically timeless, but it's also unmistakably the seventies!

10. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

No one album can do that fine decade justice. No umbrella can encapsulate the diversities of Glam-rock/disco/Punk-rock - the three main contenders. But for the sake of playing the game I'd probably say 'Ziggy'.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'd be brazen to say that Some Girls by the Stones comes close, but still misses the mark a bit. It's hard for me to take the Stones' punk/Glam/disco pretensions seriously, though.

Andy Smith likes this.
  12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Steely Dan's Aja?

lightbulb likes this.
  13. APH

APH Forum Resident

14. APH

APH Forum Resident

15. APH

APH Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ShockControl likes this.
  16. moops

moops Senior Member

This blew my tiny nine year old Aussie mind in the '70s .......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Dark Side of the Yellow Brick Hotel Fever

Runicen, Fender Relic and grapenut like this.
  18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

There was a lot of things going on in the 70s.
    Ergo, I don't think there is one album I could name that would encapsulate the decade.

parman likes this.
  19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Good album, that...Gee Elton Pink Eagles masterpiece!:p

Zeki likes this.
  20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

KISS: Alive!

21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

oh come on, the 70's weren't THAT bad...

john hp likes this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Horses

trumpet sounds likes this.
  23. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

I strongly suspect you are correct: i'm thinking I've just not seen the "u" on occasions. That said, I do recall checking a copy in a charity shop and it wasn't there and i was surprised. The second "u" is kinda buried along/in side the "o", perhaps that's what i saw / didn't see...the kerning. Weird Mandela Effect stuff!

jon9091 likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

We have a Winner!
    I was going to post 'Songs in the Key of Life' or 'Gratitude'-E, W & F(thinking these 2 albums fell in the middle of the decade), but not sure how popular 'Gratitude' was overall, I think it is a great mix of Studio & Live Songs, but maybe not the right fit for this thread title.

I was going to call out your prior choice of 'Quadrophenia', as while it ranks in my own Top 3 albums from the 1970s after discovering the 1996 CD, I do not think it fits this thread title(although, 'Who's Next' might fit, as you hear a few of those songs in the CSI TV Shows Intros, so a person born in the 1990s, has had a good chance of hearing at least those 2 songs).

Although, certainly think a strong case can be made for 'Dark Side of the Moon' & 'Rumours' mentioned by other Forum Members.

I would also include The Cars-ST(even though I like 'Candy-O' slightly more), if this topic split the 1970s in half and The Cars-ST could be a contender for the late 1970s. Although that being said, 'Rumours' would still be the best selection between 1975-1979-IMO.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  25. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

The follow up would probably have been better: Nevermind The Dark Side of the Yellow Brick Hotel Fever

live evil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.