Game of Thrones - Season VII - July 16-2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I would guess so.

L.

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Sort of the like the way The Sopranos finished up.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, totally. You knew the extraneous wildlings were merely cannon fodder.

4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I'm really pleased to hear that Peter Dinklage is making that kind of coin. He deserves it.

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

the show definitely consistently had the wheels turning in my head over the first 5 seasons as it addressed some pretty heavy subjects. i guess the focus now is on huge action and avoiding the deaths of the remaining main characters. that's not the same show and it's unfortunate.

6. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I'm pretty sure Weiss and Benioff are just done with this show & ready to move on.
    It shows in the rushed, illogical nature of the recent episodes.
    HBO probably asked them for more episodes, and was rebuffed.

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Or Mad Men...

tmtomh likes this.
  8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

As much as 5 out of the 6 episodes thus far have had a season finale vibe, I'd trade that in for storytelling that is in line with what has come before. Injecting 150 minutes of dramatic dialogue into this season to stretch the season to 10 episodes wouldn't have broke the budget. They could have easily made a couple tweaks to the action to convey a sense of time passing and ended this thing on the high note that has been sustained for most of the series. Despite how entertaining this season has been, I feel we are in store for more of the same in the final season. We'll get 6 episodes that feel like finales but at the same time, we will most certainly long for more in a way that could have easily been delivered.

Jtycho and Rubber65 like this.
  9. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

HBO has spent so much money on three separate giant-battle episodes. They didn't even film most of the battle of Blackwater in S2 because it would have cost too much. So any money they saved with 8 episodes was soaked-up with VFX

10. SquishySounds

They're color coded

Drogon: Black
    Rhaegal: Dark Green
    Viserion: Cream/Off-White

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks, I never noticed that.

12. I give the producers of the show more credit than you in that I expect they analyzed their available options and went with the one that worked best for their budget and that will still serve the viewers well.

13. SquishySounds

I'm certain HBO signed up another 20,000 paying customers as soon as #zombiedragon became a thing

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You know, when you were a kid, and you were creating a banner that said something;
    You were told to take a ruler, and make sure that each letter and space worked out so it would all be even.
    But, you would say, "Screw that! I'll just 'eye-ball' it, and it'll look good!"
    And, you write nice and big on those first letters, and then, you realize, you're not gonna make it to the end of the banner, so you start writing smaller and smaller, until you get to the end of the banner...and, it looks like crap!

15. Did the banner-creating kid try to follow a convoluted storyline written by an author who liked to add 5 new characters for every one killed-off? A story that he has little hope of completing himself?

GodShifter likes this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i think weiss & benioff are being exposed as not great writers now that they don't have any real source material to work from.

it make sense given the history of the pilot that never was. they may be in over their heads, but at least they're only going to have a handful more episodes to give us an (likely pretty incoherent) ending.

John Moschella likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

How much has Benioff and Weiss written? I cannot recall one episode this season with their names attached as writers.

18. Yeah, lets already judge the ending a failure before it's even filmed. This season has been a big success by most accounts, yet they are in over their heads because you don't like the direction they took? OK...:laugh:

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Bender Rodriguez and vince like this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

k

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Hmm... everything I see indicates both of them. Either way... I hope they do take into consideration some of the "noise" about this season's narrative shortcomings. I'd love to see it end strong.

tommy-thewho, vince and GodShifter like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Game of Thrones (season 7) - Wikipedia

24. vince

Well... I didn't start watching until George RR laid down the gauntlet, saying that his ending was better than "LOST"!
    Granted, that's not saying much, but, still....
    I thought, "We'll see about that!"

25. vince

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.