Cher Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Besides it's not exactly a Cher solo record...but I'm all for breaking that rule as I love Black Rose!

2. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

1. I Found Someone
    2. We All Sleep Alone
    3. Bang-Bang
    4. Main Man
    5. Give Our Love A Fightin' Chance
    6. Perfection
    7. Dangerous Times
    8. Skin Deep
    9. Working Girl
    10. Hard Enough Getting Over You

11. I Found Someone (Extended Version)
    12. We All Sleep Alone (Remix)
    13. Skin Deep (Extended Dance Mix)
    14. Skin Deep (Extended Dance Mix - Edit)
    15. Skin Deep (Dub Mix)
    16. Skin Deep (Bonus Beats)

DesertHermit and D-rock like this.
  3. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

I always thought that the back cover photo should have been on the front. Half of this album was great and the other half needed better material. Probably her biggest comeback to date: her career was dead as a doorknob when this came out.

4. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

Her singing career anyways. I think this album would have been much better without the horrible Bang Bang cover and Skin Deep. The latter doesn't fit the rest of the album at all

5. BlueGangsta

You're both right. Overall it's a pretty typical late 80s album, nothing overly special. The remix version (single, not Believe lol) of We All Sleep Alone is magical though - I wonder why this version wasn't on the album? The Extended Version of I Found Someone hits much harder than the album mix - I also think she says "...to take away the horniness" at one point?

Main Man is a nice song, typical Cher ballad.

I think I'm the only one that actually prefers the rock version of Bang Bang. Although the live versions are undoubtedly better.

DesertHermit likes this.
  6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

This is my least favorite Cher era. Well until the modern dance stuff. Main Man is the only song that at least sounds like vintage Cher.

7. BlueGangsta

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1. If I Could Turn Back Time
    2. Just Like Jesse James
    3. You Wouldn't Know Love
    4. Heart Of Stone
    5. Still In Love With You
    6. Love On A Rooftop
    7. Emotional Fire
    8. All Because Of You
    9. Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore?
    10. Starting Over
    11. Kiss To Kiss
    12. After All (Love Theme From Chances Are)

13. If I Could Turn Back Time (Remix)
    14. If I Could Turn Back Time (Original Mix)
    15. If I Could Turn Back Time (Rock Mix)
    16. If I Could Turn Back Time (AC Mix)

17. Heart Of Stone (Remix/Fade)
    18. Heart Of Stone (Remix)
    19. Heart Of Stone (CHR Version)
    20. Heart Of Stone (Heartbeat Version/Faded)
    21. Heart Of Stone (Full Heartbeat Version)

D-rock likes this.
  8. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

Yeah, it really doesn't fit at all, as a Madonna fan I always think of it as a bonus "Who's That Girl" soundtrack song (sounds like the rest of the pop songs by other artists on that soundtrack). The single version is better though cuz her voice is actually used more on it compared to the album version where it sounds like they featured the background vocalists more instead.

9. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

The remixed single version is way better. She actually re-sings parts of the song. And even changes the spacing of some parts in the middle to make the song even more dramatic. Makes sense it wasn't on the album cuz they must've done it afterwards, but it's a shame they didn't think of using it on her hits compilations. The same thing always happens with everyone else too, if they would just consult with us uber-fans they'd know there are special single versions that should be used on the hits comps.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    D-rock, BlueGangsta and ibekeen like this.
  10. BlueGangsta

Cher has the same probem as the last for me - it's not-very-high-quality-80s stuff for me. With that said, it did give a platform for Heart Of Stone (probably the best written Cher song) and the classics Jesse James and After All. Turn Back Time is cool too, I guess.

The movie version of After All is one of my favorite Cher tracks to listen to.

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Yes the title track is great. The rest though...

rob68 likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Can't seem to not think that Cybill Shepherd was supposed to sing that ... either that or Cybill's song "Somewhere Down The Road", her duet with Peabo Bryson (?), was intended for the movie. Love Cher's duet though.

This isn't the version but the same song

13. BlueGangsta

[​IMG]

1. Save Up All Your Tears
    2. Love Hurts
    3. Love And Understanding
    4. Fires Of Eden
    5. I'll Never Stop Loving You
    6. One Small Step
    7. A World Without Heroes
    8. Could've Been You
    9. When Love Calls Your Name
    10. When Lovers Become Strangers
    11. Who You Gonna Believe
    12. The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)

13. Love And Understanding (Edit)
    14. Love And Understanding (AC Version)
    15. Love And Understanding (12" Dance Mix)
    16. Love And Understanding (12" Dance Mix/Edit)
    17. Love And Understanding (House Of Love Mix)
    18. Love And Understanding (Stringappella Mix)
    19. Love And Understanding (Dub And Understanding Mix)
    20. Love And Understanding (Cher Some Love Dub)

21. Save Up All Your Tears (CHR Remix)
    22. Save Up All Your Tears (Hot AC Remix)
    23. Save Up All Your Tears (Soft AC Remix)

24. The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) (Obsession Mix)
    25. The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) (Crush Mix)
    26. The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) (Ventura Party Dub)
    27. The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) (Ventura Radio Edit)

D-rock likes this.
  14. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Not a fan of the Geffen albums. I know they put her back on the map as far as a recording career, but to me they are very corporate and soulless. Each one has just a couple tracks that appeal to me and they're usually not the hits. I like Dangerous Times and Kiss To Kiss for example. Go figure. From this album I think Love & Understanding is okay and also A World Without Heroes. One Small Step is interesting. Never knew The Shoop Shoop Song got added in later pressings. I only ever had the original 11-track CD release.

15. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I think it should be noted that the "Shoop Shoop" remixes are not from the same era as the original album. That being said, the "Love and Understanding" remixes are really not Junior Vasquez's best work.

ibekeen likes this.
  16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I agree about corporate and soulless. That's my main problem with post 1987 Cher. That said Shoop Shoop Song and Love and Understanding are great singles and I have a soft spot for A World Without Heroes since it's her cover of a great song from my favorite KISS album.

17. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

Thenext album is one of my top 5 Cher albums.

lv70smusic likes this.
  18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Probably my #1 favorite Cher album.

19. BlueGangsta

I'm going to progress with this thread soon, if anyone would like to comment on the previous albums?

20. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Im a big fan of the 80s Geffen albums. Every single one of them has songs that I really love. Also, I much prefer the original covers for all of Cher's 80s albums. Every change takes an original cover and makes it bland and like it could have been made at home by anyone with a printer.
    This is the original for Love Hurts.

[​IMG]

steelvelvet20 likes this.
  21. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Nope, sign me up for the rock version of 'Bang Bang' too! I was 13 when this album came out and it started my fascination with Cher. Of course, I knew who she was but this was where I really too notice of her. I love this record and still enjoy it. Yes there are a couple of filler tracks but it's a great sounding record, vocally strong, and it contains two of her best singles in 'I Found Someone' and 'We All Sleep Alone'.

22. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

I like her 3 albums on Geffen: Cher: I found someone, we all sleep alone, bang bang, working girl are the best.
    Heart of stone: good, solid album
    Love hurts: I still love this. All top AOR tracks. Fires of eden I felt could have been a massive hit.
    Believe: Not keen on this, nor any further albums by her. I favour her rock sound over her dance. The single believe just winds me up.

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

As a whole, the early Cher albums are basically folk-rock albums, a style that her warm early singing voice was well-suited for. Like many albums of the era, they were often padded with covers and filler, although some of the covers are actually quite good. I have the United Artists double comp simply called Cher which has all of her early hits through "You Better Sit Down, Kids", plus a number of her better folk-rock covers and deep cuts. For me personally, that's all the early Cher I need. After that, the MCA Greatest Hits comp is marvelous, highlighted by the great story songs "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves", "Half Breed", "I Saw a Man and He Danced With His Wife", and my favorite, "Dark Lady."

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

If you like the rootsy, folky as well as story telling Cher I'd say all of her albums up to 1977 are worth having. Tons of amazing deep cuts on each.

25. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

Is this not going to continue with It's A Man's World?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.