Hear Les Claypool, Sean Lennon's Raw New Psych-Pop Duo, The Claypool Lennon Delirium

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I really like this, I'm very surprised. Though I'd always respected Sean's wide-ranging tastes, I'd never really heard anything that made me sit up and pay attention. I went through a big Primus phase in college and absolutely loved Oysterhead (the collab with Trey Anastasio and Stewart Copeland), but I'd cooled a lot on his "wacky" hi-jinks since then. This works really well though, Lennon is a great foil for Les - keeps his wackiness focused and in check, the sunshine psych melodies really balance out the darkness in a cool way. This reminds me of Tame Impala (especially with Sean's vocals) and Flaming Lips.

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

About a month ago a friend of mine who knows I like 60's psych asked me to check them out because they are playing Portland at the end of August and he was looking for someone to go with. I youtubed the album and yes, right up my alley! It has quickly become one of my favorites so far this year. It wears it's influences, but it's not derivative. I've since picked up the vinyl, and am really looking forward to the show. I guess I owe my friend! Yeah, I might have found this album eventually, but probably not until after they played here with my luck. A few of the concert reviews I've read mention sparse audiences. That's a shame, because tix were only $25 (Portland, anyway), and, also from the reviews, it's a good time for anyone who likes psychedelia and prog.

3. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

This is an excellent CD, and for me personally, it is one of my favorite releases of the entire 2010s decade thus far.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just got this on yellow EU double vinyl but I only had time to play the included CD while doing other stuff. Parts sounded incredibly good, other parts incredibly strange. This thing begs to be played at night with Mathmos lamps and some fine wine.

Why does Pitchfork ignore Sean's recent projects btw? No reviews after "Friendly Fires"?

5. It's definitely one og the best albums (and live shows) of the year for me.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  6. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Caught the Vegas Show and thought it was sensational. Was that John's original Mellotron they had up there?
    Our jaws hit the floor when they broke into Court of the Crimson King. And Tomorrow Never Knows.....goose bump inducing.

7. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

It's not a real mellotron. :)

stingraex2000 likes this.
  8. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Investigating this album made me listen to Sean Lennon's other 2016 album, the soundtrack to the movie 'Ava's Possessions'. I actually enjoyed this latter album much more. The song 'Different Drum' (sung, and spoken, by Karla Moheno, aka Karla Rose) is a real hoot. "Love is like a movie on a plane … even the bad ones are good". All done to a soft bluesy background. Great stuff!

Lownote30 likes this.
  9. flako

flako Forum Resident

Just finished listening to it, fantastic album. Claypool's bass features in every track as a lead instrument, very unique.

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

11. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Looked at your setlist. The encores with a Gene Wilder tribute and a Yoko appearance were no doubt worth admission alone. That must have been a trip!
    I saw them Sunday night in Portland. Best $25 I've spent on music, live or recorded, all year. They opened with "Thela Hun Ginjeet". Right then I had already gotten my money's worth!

12. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I saw them in Buffalo as it was a free show. It was a great show except for the rain but I was prepared for that. Its so cool that they are doing King Crimson tunes on this tour. I enjoyed it immensely and recommend this show to anyone.

13. peteham

peteham Senior Member

This might be my favourite record of 2016.

fishcane and Whoopycat like this.
  14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Pretty good album. I hope they can take it even further out if they make another. They need to set the drummer free.

15. On repeat

On repeat Member

Does anyone know how many yellow vinyl version have been made? I see some very interesting prices of this copy.

16. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Blimey! The price has suddenly jumped up. I only looked a few weeks ago and it was no where near that much

17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I grabbed an extra copy for $20 a while back at a local record shop.

18. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I received the double yellow vinyl (with cd included) today. Vinyl is not completely flat and there are actually visible cardboard pieces pressed into the first lp, however it all plays fine and sounds great

19. That's all that matters. I really dislike when folks talk about returning records because they see things in or on them but the sound is not affected.

sjaca, Guss2, Tullman and 1 other person like this.
  20. Frank Field

There's probably plenty of crap pressed into black vinyl that we never see

Guss2 and Mazzy like this.
  21. On repeat

On repeat Member

I have this release and don't have any of the issues you have. There were only small yellow residues of the vinyl (like yellow grains of dust) inside the inner sleeves and on the vinyls which I easily removed with the carbon fiber brush.
    Was the price acceptable (excluded shipping)?

22. Frank Field

Yes, the price was €30 which is not bad for a double lp including cd.

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Were are you seeing this? The US pressing on golden wax is still starting at 15 at Discogs. And just because two flippers imagine they can charge 70 for the EU yellow with CD doesn't mean that it's really worth that amount.

24. On repeat

On repeat Member

Has anyone compared the yellow (EU) with the gold (US) release?

25. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

True. Discogs can be a funny old place, especially at the top end of the prices. Plus it depends on the countries as I notice Italian sellers often ask strange prices :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.