Turntable inside audio rack

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JamesD1957, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got an old school audio rack....4 ft tall, 2 ft wide with shelves for components and record storage and two glass doors in the front. My problem is the cat(s). No, can't get rid of 'em. They like to get on top of the turntable to sleep. It has a dust cover, but it is a music hall 5.3, and when they get on it, the top plinth compresses into the lower plinth causing the tone arm to dislodge from its rest.

What I want to do is put the turntable inside the rack on the top shelf. Of course I'll have to remove the dust cover, but that's not a big deal at this point. What concerns, if any, would you have with this set up? Do any of you currently have this kind of set up, and if so, how is it working for you?

Thanks!

2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I have my technics on a shelf below my VPI. It is usable but you have to be more careful putting records on. A bit of an inconvenience but doable. Also setting up the arm will be more difficult but with my rack I can see the table from the sides as well as front.

3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Also try a spray bottle w water and keep it next to the table to remind them to stay away. Really enjoyable squirting the cat.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Just a suggestion...you could get a custom acrylic cover made that goes over the entire t/t including the current dust cover. This would allow you to keep it on the top shelf and protect it from your cats as well.

They aren't that expensive to get done up here in Canada so they'll probably be even more affordable in the US.

parman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.