The Rolling Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request: 50th Anniversary Special Audiophile Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Jul 7, 2017.

1. I just noticed (although I'm sure others in this thread already picked up on it) they're using the London labels for the CDs and Decca for the LPs. A nice touch.

Tommyboy and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Would be a nice/funny gimmick if the US gets the labels swapped.

mestreech and Shawn like this.
  3. Well would they say 'front side / back side' or 'side one / side two'? ;)

4. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I might have thought the similarities between Sgt. Pepper and TSMR was merely packaging, but there is definitely a homage to the guitar sound on the chorus of Sgt. Pepper (We're Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hears Club Band, we hope you will enjoy...) which was done with a very similar guitar sound on She's A Rainbow (Have you seen her dressed in blue? See the sky in front of you...). When I first heard that section of She's A Rainbow, the first thing that came to mind for me was Sgt. Pepper title track.
    It's also very reminiscent of the Johnny Rivers song Summer Rain when he sings (...and the jukebox kept on playing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.) there, the guitar purposefully played that trademark guitar sound from Sgt. Pepper.

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Not sure what you mean exactly. I meant the US release of the box set could get the London labels on the LPs and the CDs got the Decca labels as a gimmick.^^

6. Yes, I was referring to that too - depending on pressing plant, early US London stereo copies said either 'front side / back side' or 'side one / side two' on the LP labels. I was wondering - in jest - which they would have gone with had they used London labels on the LP reissues :)

7. I think Keith was using a Vox Supreme for a lot of the Satanic sessions, and with The Beatles using Vox Conquerors around the time of Peppers there's bound to be a bit of similarity in sound.

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay I didn't know that. On Discogs I only saw the 'Side One/Two' variant for the US London release.

9. Anthology123

I'm not just talking how the guitars sound but the way they are played, that heavy jangling guitar so prevalent in Sgt Pepper title track and the same kind of guitar lick showing up in She's a Rainbow, I don't believe it is a coincidence.

10. I'm not hearing that at all.

btltez, mando_dan and Jack like this.
  11. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I see what he's saying but it's kinda like saying look, it's a drum beat...obviously an imitation of Ringo;)
    I don't see it 'jangly' more as 'fuzzy' a fuzz 4 note or so sequence where he's saying they're both similar, and I can agree, but it's not a rip off imo

mbrownp1 likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Well, you're a big time Stones fan. I totally get it and will most likely buy it too. I'm hoping the stereo vinyl pressing will be an improvement over the pressing in the 2010 ABKCO box.

Clanceman likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have an original green label unboxed Decca UK pressing. Haven't listened to it in ages. I remember it sounding a little thin. I do have a much later pressing too. I'll have to give it a listen.

I prefer the mono mix.

Clanceman and chacha like this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

If that is indeed the case, if SQ is my interest, these new issues are not likely going to beat my original UK/US mono and stereo vinyl, are they?

That may well be. Still love it though, thus my interest in this reissue, though the reality of what the source likely is makes it a lot less interesting...

Guess the Earmark/MOV/ 'press CDs to vinyl' business model really took on a firm grip some time back.

16. EdogawaRampo

MC Rag, chacha and apple-richard like this.
  17. Anthology123

I didn't say it was a ripoff. Groups can pay homage to other groups as a complement. It was obviously not a note by note copy, but the style of and sound of the guitar riff was very close. I have no proof they did it on purpose but its the only song on the album that comes that close. If you want to take it further, the megaphone singing on On With The Show is very similar to an early version of Sgt. Pepper reprise, where Paul sings the lead vocal as if singing through a megaphone there, too (the version on Anthology 2).

I know there are people here that will jump on me for implying the Rolling Stones copied the Beatles. It has been well documented that they were friends, they hung out together, who knows what transpired between the two groups, one thing is for certain: both put out great works of music and recordings.

18. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I have an original mono still sealed & one play copy - both from 13 yrs ago at Vinyl Vault (I think was the name - was used as vinyl store in some movie) - & I have the copy from that 1st box & that DSD separate issue.

Bur actually all my listening lately is that Mono Box cd.

I might just play the 02 sacd right now. Before the mono box I actually just grabbed that or the Japan cardboard sleeve.

This will be fun to open & just have. A Deluxe "Satanic!" It excites me that this record is being made a big deal of.

Headfone, Tommyboy and lennonfan1 like this.
  20. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

But I saw SomGirls in that SHM sacd section n got sidetracked. :)

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

You have an original sealed mono?

Clanceman likes this.
  22. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

MOV do not use CD's as sources - spreading this sort of misinformation is particularly unhelpful.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  23. EdogawaRampo

Sorry -- my mistake. Digital files.

24. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

I'm going to a listening party for this re-release tomorrow. There'll be free wine so my review might be tempered.

JuanTCB, chacha and Joti Cover like this.
  25. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

It would not surprise me if that sealed mono was worth $1,000

Clanceman likes this.