CD (used) Stores in Amsterdam Worth Visiting

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Blue Gecko, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace Thread Starter

I will be in Amsterdam for a few days. Does anyone have any recommendations for stores that sell both classical and rock used CDs? I am hoping to add some older european CDs to my collection. Mid eighties would be awesome.

Thanks in advance... I'm already in Europe now. BTW... I did read previous posts and have mapped out the stores and there are SO many...

2. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Concerto
    and FAME in the basement of MediaMarkt... they have pretty good prices for new stuff (not much 2nd hand other than some vinyl)... As it's 5 minutes walk from where I work I've spent a fortune there :D

3. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Yes, definitely Concerto, they have a large used CD selection - and a cafe inside the store! (always a bonus for me). I think the #4 tram goes right by there.

LeBon Bush and Blue Gecko like this.
  4. Blue Gecko

I have Cencerto on my list and will place it on the need to visit based on your and nancybrooke's recommendations.

I am reviewing Fame's website and may also have time for a stop there.

Thank you!

5. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

Not sure if Recordfriend also carries cd's. Velvet Music sure does.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  6. Remco Sanders

Remco Sanders Forum Resident

Concerto is great, Fame used to be one of the largest sellers in the area, however since they moved I'm always disappointed. Place concerto at the top of your list! Enjoy!

Blue Gecko likes this.
  7. Blue Gecko

I'm back from Amsterdam now. Regarding the used CD market:

Concerto was indeed very good with a large selection. Amstel Antiques was also good with a small, but good older selection. I heard good things about Velvet Music and Discostars Record Store, but did not have time to visit them. Thank you all for your recommendations. My suitcases were much heavier on the return trip. :)

8. Visited Velvet Music today, and there were some good things there. An excellent second choice after Concerto. Back Beat Records was just nearby, and it had a very interesting jazz selection. Found a couple of good items there, too.

The new FAME, over by the Double Tree Hotel, still has some good bargains in the sale racks, and it has a fairly deep box set area as well. Not what it used to be, but it was worth a visit. Found 1 vinyl and and very good price on the Godley & Creme box set and on a Steve Hackett remaster.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  9. Blue Gecko

I left several selections I now wish I had purchased at Velvet Music, perhaps they are in your home now. :)

I'm glad your trip was successful.

10. One thing I really liked about Velvet is that in addition to a well-curated set of international stuff, they also carried almost all the vinyl from the Dutch label Excelsior. Jason Falkner has produced a number of projects on that label, and they are all excellent. Added two to my collection on this trip (Bent van Looy's vinyl of "Pyjama Days" and Anne Soldaat's S/T album on vinyl).

Blue Gecko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.