Ringo Starr "Give More Love"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident

It's a good album
    It's an overlooked gem because it didn't have any hits unlike the previous 2 albums

Mumbojunk, Tord and Mike Visco like this.
  2. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

I'm pleasantly surprised by 'Give More Love'. On first listen it may be his best since 'Choose Love'. Better production than on recent efforts and a decent, more varied set of songs.

Apart from the country-fied Don't Pass Me By, the remakes are pretty pointless though. Can't Fight Lightning - wtf???

3. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Overall, I like the album and have played it a few times on CD. It sounds like a modern Ringo album. I think it slightly better than Postcards, although that one had some catchy tunes. The only issue I have with this new one is that the title track sounds like a "Never Without You" rewrite. A little too close imo. The bonus tracks are fine and have no issues with them. In fact, if I was making a mod Ringo playlist, I might add a couple of these bonus tracks.

4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

If you need even more Ringo, he drums on All-Starr Band alum* Sheila E's album Iconic: Message 4 America on Come Together

*only in a Beatles thread would she be introduced like that!

theMess likes this.
  5. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Here is a German interview with Ringo Starr from Hamburg. Translated into English with Google. Read last Q&A:

Google Übersetzer

theMess likes this.
  6. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I think Ringo, Goodnight Vienna, Ringo's Rotogravure, Time Takes Time, Vertical Man, Ringo Rama and Y Not were his best albums. Maybe Give More Love would fall into that category. I also have soft spots for Ringo The 4th, Stop And Smell The Roses and Old Wave, so I'd include them on my list, but the consensus might not be the same, especially for Ringo The 4th.

7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I really like "stop and smell the roses", especially the expanded version...it may be my favorite.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  8. SixOClockBoos

I love the bonus tracks. Some really great songs were left off the album like "Brandy", "Red And Black Blues" and "Wake Up". I would have preferred one of those take the place of let's say "Dead Giveaway" or the remake of "Back Off Boogaloo".

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

He definitely could have compiled a very different album.

10. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I think 'Give More Love' is probably his strongest collection since the Mark Hudson produced albums.

The country song 'Wrong For So Long' is for me, probably the standout. 'We're on the Road Again' rocks along nicely, underpinned by Paul's driving bass. Other favourites of mine are 'Speed of Sound', 'Standing Still', and the 'Never Without You' re-write, 'Give More Love'.

'Shake It Up' is also a fun 'Jerry Lee Lewis pastiche'. Not earth shattering, but probably no more inconsequential than many of his rock & roll Beatles tunes like Honey Don't or Matchbox.

The 4 bonus tracks are also worth hearing, especially the more laid back country-fied 'Don't Pass Me By', which arguably puts the song in a far more apt setting than the original White Album version (which personally, I always thought sounded unrehearsed and a bit of a racket).

Sure, there are some absolute clunkers (King Of the Kingdom, Electricity and Show Me The Way) but there is plenty to enjoy if your expectations don't run too high. At least half the album is 'top drawer Ringo' and to these ears, certainly more enjoyable than his last offering (Postcards From Paradise).

11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Yes it did Dose Of Rock N Roll was a top 40... Went as high as around 25 ? Somewhere in that range. I think with a video or promo clip.

I read the other day, Beatles Bible maybe, somewhere. It's gotta be wrong, it said Lennon sits in on the Dose of Rock Roll session-backing track. I tried to verify that with another source, but couldn't find any confirmation that Lennon is on Dose of Rock N Roll

Similarly, I think Lennon sat in on one more GN Vienna track, maybe the country song...Roger Miller song or another similar type tune.

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

#26 to be exact. Close enough, so good memory!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  14. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

Good list, though I'd probably swap out Rotogravure for Choose Love. I also have a soft spot for the much-maligned Ringo the 4th.

Stop and Smell the Roses has its moments, but there are too many clunkers - Drumming is my Madness, Dead Giveaway and the title track. The bonus tracks help, for the most part, but even then there is Can't Fight Lightning..... Atrocious.

15. helter

helter Forum Resident

It went to #26 on Billboard
    I don't consider that a hit.
    Other than Beatle freaks, I don't know anyone who remembers that song being played back in the day

16. revolution_vanderbilt

Lennon is credited on Goodnight Vienna, Only You, and All By Myself.

I think A Dose Of Rock And Roll was an awful choice to open the album. Quite the opposite of leading with your best!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  17. SixOClockBoos

Choose Love is pretty good too, but a lot of the songs sound the same, which did end up being a recurring theme on the Mark Hudson albums. And yeah those songs on Stop and Smell the Roses are clunkers, but I think the songs that are top tier plus the outtakes make up for it.

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I haven't listened enough to articulate an opinion myself, but I'm leaning towards pretty much exactly what you wrote...
    :)

theMess likes this.
  19. padreken

padreken Senior Member

I'll 3rd this-I've listened to it twice now, the first was with Ringo offering introductions to every track on the Beatles channel on Sirius on the way up to LA, then I listened to it again on Tidal. It's just a good, solid, sincere and heartfelt record from Ringo. I'll be buying the vinyl.

Morton LaBongo, forthlin and mrjinks like this.
  20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Hang on. #26 might not be hit to you, but to the world, record companies, Billboard, artists & most other people it is.

It's a Big world out there & just because you & you're friends don't remember it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's been 42 years ! I'm sure at least half the people that bought it have died off by now. No it wasn't a huge hit, but at least for 1 week it was the 26th most popular song on radio, on Planet Earth, so far as we can tell.

Not sure how many songs officially came out every week or month in 1975, but it was a very high number !
    I was with you, until you started slamming Smell The Roses as a weak album with lots of filler !!!

Hey we all have our preferences & that's ok. Smell The Roses might be the first solo Beatles album with a different producer on nearly every track. The method of Flowers In The Dirt & Time Takes Time, & other later solo albums. It's also the last Ringo Starr album with all his 60s contemporaries sitting in. George, Paul, Nilsson, Stills, Ron Wood & so on.... But I think the material is very good Ringo. That is the songs are varied, poppy, commercial, he is Ringo & they songs suited his slightly slapstick, limited range were just generally well written. Drumming is my madness is perfect for him. The title fut likewise treading similar ground to La De Da some years later. Dead Giveaway & Nice Way have the Stonsey & Stillsy vibe respectively. The three McCartney tracks are bright & poppy & the cover Sure To Fall is from Hamburg & the Decca audition repetoire. Wracking My Brain the Harrison song is very much in Keeping with his 78-81 stuff, All Those Years Ago & Save The World. You Belong To Me is another old old song... Done up nicely like True Love from 33 1/3. Imo. The extra or bonus tracks are deep fan favorites, this one of the few Ringo albums with a deep bench of outtakes... Can't Fight Lightning with Paul on drums is like a Ringo cult favorite. But obviously it needed a mix pretty bad & a final vocal.

As to the new album I'm leaning towards best post Hudson album. Best of the 4-5 Ringo/Bruce Sugar albums.. maybe even gives Choose Love a run for it's money.

All these post Hudson albums sound similar to me, & have 4-6 tracks I like. Maybe the new one has 7-8... There's a couple bad ones & the title cut parts of it are so similar to Never Without You... It bums me out. I've gotta choose one or the other, don't want them both.. & I've gotta go with the Harrison tribute with Clapton Lead guitar... Have to.

If you make a Ringo-Sugar era best of, you get a phenomenal album. Liverpool 8, Walk With You, Postcards in Paradise, Bamboula, We're On The Road Again. Speed Of Sound, So Wrong For So Long, Peace Dream, Think It Over.

Very similar this batch of albums the last decade, not quite as good as Hudson's arrangements, but ya know not bad. The Hudson production had a lot more variety, the stuff with Sugar all kind of sounds like one really long triple album.

Rfreeman and Mumbojunk like this.
  21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Got my cd on release day but only got around to listening to it last night/this morning. My first impression is that it's better than I expected. I have Ringo's full catalog but the past few albums only got a few spins at my place, this one seems somewhat better.

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This is a good Ringo album and contains some excellent songs and performances. And Ring's drumming is really, really tasty throughout. Nice recording to boot.

Is Ring becoming a fine producer or what?

23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

The vinyl was cut by Chris Bellman and sounds much better than the tracks I got with the Amazon rip, but still squashed.

BTW, the Amazon rip that came with the vinyl included the bonus tracks, which are not on the LP.

Quick runthrough and I'm hearing just another Ringo album that will blend in with the last several.....

24. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Any chart action yet?

25. Not yet but shelf action has happened. Played the cd several times since it arrived a week ago . A few good tracks. The country tracks are the best and the covers surprisingly good. The rest mediocre. Terrible lyrics.

The vinyl (without bonus cuts) arrived today. Will go up on the shelf; that’s the shelf action. :tiphat:

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.