Whitesnake 30th Anniversary (1987)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Aug 16, 2017.

1. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

Am I correct in thinking that the US single version of "Here I Go Again" is the only Whitesnake studio track to include Adrian Vandenberg besides the solo on the album version?

2. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

Nevermind. I just discovered that it was a completely different band on the US single version.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

:buttkick: Cloverdale is a city in Sonoma County, California.

johnny q likes this.
  4. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Vandenberg played on Restless Heart. It was technically a Coverdale studio album with the Whitesnake name forced onto it by the studio, but he's still the guitarist on it.

Curveboy, Matthew Tate and hiddman like this.
  5. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I know it's not a studio album but AV also plays on Starkers in Tokyo. Good album!

FVDnz and Jimmy Agates like this.
  6. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Christ, the sound quality...think I might be giving this reissue a miss.

7. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Agree I was hoping for better.

8. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Now that I see the live disc is on the 2CD version, that will be the one I'm going for. The "1987 Versions" are easy enough to get and I'm willing to bet will still sound better than this remaster. The videos you can see on YouTube.

9. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

10. nibblet

nibblet Active Member

1987 was one of the big 3 rock releases of its year, but now overshadowed by Def Leppard's Hysteria and GnR's Appetite for Destruction.
    I think that is understandable as whilst I enjoy 1987, it's not as strong and nor was it as successful as Hysteria or Appetite.

However, as far as re-issues go, this is a far better package than the recent Hysteria 30th Anniversary release.
    I am a huge fan of Hysteria, but was not convinved to buy the re-issue earlier this year. If it had been re-issued like 1987 is, I surely would have made the purchase.
    Notably, the 1987 re-issue whilst a superior package, is also nearly half the price of the recent Hsyteria re-issue!

Of course, at least 1987 and Hysteria have had a re-issue(s) - one still awaits the re-issue for Appetite!

11. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I hope they remastered this again from the god awful previous anniversary edition. That had to be one of the most compressed, over blown remasters I've ever heard. On an album such as this with it's bright, glassy 80's production that is never a good thing, talk about ear fatigue!

johnny q and superstar19 like this.
  12. Leigh Burne

You have a point with Appetite, but I honestly much prefer 1987 to Hysteria, and I say that as someone who really likes both.

If the new version is as bad as that, this set will go from being awesome to incredibly disappointing like *that*. I'm no kind of audiophile at all, but that anniversary issue was absolutely appalling.

johnny q and Neilson77 like this.
  13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

This is a demo from the 8os. It sounds about right for what it is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I got an email from Amazon saying the set got pushed back. Seems strange as it's this far down the line. I'll probably just order from BB anyways with that price.

15. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Something screwy is going on. The new estimated arrival date is December 31, 2018

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Leigh Burne

I've had that before with Amazon, I got an email telling me there'd been a huge delay and then the item arrived on time anyway. A few days later I got another email saying it would be shipped to me by the date I (already) received it :laugh:

I think they just like to cover their backs in case there is any kind of delay.

17. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

The guitar sounds like it was run through the Dyno My Piano Tri Stereo Chorus. I have the Fulltone version (Fulltone TERC) and it sounds just like that.

Here’s a link to an article about the Dyno My Piano Chorus:

Italo de Angelis

18. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

New video for Here I Go Again 2017 mix:

everyday_ffm and Curveboy like this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Well, Amazon have dispatched my CD copy of this release so I guess tomorrow's D Day when we find out whether the remaster is something to celebrate or if they completing destroyed it :sigh:

20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

It's also a suburb in Perth, Western Australia. ;)

zen likes this.
  21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Album is available on HDTracks now. Will check out the samples soon to see if this is a worthy purchase.

22. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Here's hoping it's a goodun' (my box set is now showing a late October delivery date on Amazon UK). Please let us know when you've had the opportunity to give it a spin!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    sandimascharvel and Zephead2112 like this.
  24. Leigh Burne

Would that be hard? :p

FVDnz likes this.
  25. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

What's the best CD version to buy of this album? sound-wise etc ?