Favorite EL84/6BQ5 amplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tamla Junkie, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I recently heard @crestwood23 's tube set-up powering a pair of '59(?) Quad ESLs, and it sounded divine, very lifelike and dynamic. It also got quite LOUD. I believe he has a vintage Marantz tube preamp and a modern power amp (?).

I would agree that the X-100's midrange is not syrupy... it's quite clear and natural. Especially for a vintage tube amp, it's rather "quick."

I really like the phono stage on vintage Fishers, and feel that there is nothing obviously lacking. I'm using a Denon DL-103 via an SUT with Shure transformers into the Fisher's 50k ohm phono inputs. Vinyl sounds rich, detailed, balanced and 3D. I recently had the realization while playing an original 1961 45 of Dick Dale's surf classic "Let's Go Tripping" that "This is what the master tape sounded like when brand new!" That right there says a lot about what the Fisher is capable of . I'm happy to send you a hi rez sound sample if you like - I recently needledropped a Coke promo EP with the Supremes singing a jingle, hint hint.

It goes without saying that using the best tubes is important... I recently installed a quad of 1958 RCA long blackplate 12AX7's, and they sound stunning to me in this amp.

[​IMG]

2. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I've always wanted a Manley Stingray V2, the one before they put the stupid built in iPod dock that was obsolete a year later. It's a great sounding amp and very cool looking in the flesh.

HiFi Guy and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you action pact!

I should qualify my remarks on the Quads a bit: loud is relative. If you're expecting realistic "live" audio levels, you're not getting there with the quads. It just isn't possible. If you want to get to "irritating" or "garbage disposal" levels, the Quads will take you there, but barely.

I would be using a Shure M3D most of the time with the Fisher, a GE VR-1000-7 and a GE VR-II most of the rest of the time. Two mag inputs is a major plus. I like the Shure and mono GE a lot, and they'd be "period correct". The Shure has been called the "poor man's SPU" and I think that's fitting. Plus you don't need to second guess playing that VG- dollar store find with the Shure. If you wreck the stylus it's a 20 dollar mistake...

I would be extremely interested in hearing the Coke jingle.

I would tube roll to find the tubes of my liking; I'm not just a Tamla Junkie, but a General Electric junkie as well. I *only* use GE 7189As in EL84 amps. They're rugged and last forever. They sound nice too.

Thanks again for the info. I may just pull the trigger on the Fisher; if I'm not thrilled I could easily flip it and get my money back.

4. crestwood23

crestwood23 Forum Resident

Glad you enjoyed it @action pact ! My '59 Quads are restored units by Quads Unlimited, they have some sort of protection installed that prevent them from arcing when driven hard. Because of this they do get LOUD (to me anyway - 100db peaks) and can handle a wider variety of higher powered amps. I've found the sweet spot for them are a PP amp in the 25-35wpc range, and out of the ones I've tried I like a restored Marantz 8b with vintage Mullard EL34's the best. I pair this with a more modern tube preamp. Holographic mids, crystal clear highs, and high quality, tuneful and tonally satisfying bass.
    @Tamla Junkie original Quads are a different and more fragile animal however, and I think a 12wpc el84 amp would be just the ticket. Although I didn't have the Quads at the time, I once owned a '58 Fisher x101-st - an earlier relative of the x-100. The built in phono was fantastic after a recap. There is nothing muddy about the el84 Fishers, in fact they are even more crystal clear through the upper mids and treble than any 7591 or EL34 amp I've ever heard. Just be careful with the volume on those old Quads and you should be in heaven.

5. action pact

I've been keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced M3D or M7D... I don't need one, but I want to hear one!

Early versions of the X-100 (like mine) have trim pots for the phono stage on the front panel, but most likely you'll just keep them dimed all the time. I'm guessing they were designed for the high output ceramic cartridges of the era.

PM incoming...

Has the Fisher been serviced? Are you capable of doing the work yourself, or do you know a qualified tech?

The little Fisher tube integrateds are a great bargain, everyone wants the 400, 500 or 800, and prices reflect that. I bought my '59 X-100 for $400 a couple of years ago, and the seller had already recapped it and everything. I just spent another $100 on the quad of RCAs, so my total investment is still not that high.

baconbadge likes this.
  6. action pact

@Tamla Junkie - Your account settings do not allow me to start a private Conversation. Please let me know how I can contact you regarding the Supremes Coke jingle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] '

[​IMG]

33na3rd and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Note about the early version trimpots for the phono stage, many early magnetic cartridges were higher output compared to what we use today by half or less. For ceramic phono, many amplifiers of the day had ceramic inputs.

8. triple

triple Senior Member

That would be the one that has huge PS electrolitic caps, right? Lovely thing. :thumbsup:
    One of the few cases of enough PSU capacitance outside of Decware.

9. Tamla Junkie

I am beyond qualified to do the work myself. I collect and restore vintage radios, tuners, and television sets as well. If I can get a 36 tube 1954 RCA CT-100 operational again, then a little integrated is child's play.

Actually I build a lot of my own Hi-Fi equipment. The whole reason I'm looking at the Fisher is because I've decided to sell my parallel push pull custom 7189A monoblocks to a good friend. I just don't feel like building a new pair... call me lazy I guess.

action pact likes this.
  10. Tamla Junkie

Shoot, I'll change that right now.

11. action pact

PM sent!

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  12. action pact

Yessir. My X-100 has three phono inputs: MAG 1 (100k), MAG 2 (50k), HI LEV (ceramic).

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a nice Fisher 500-C receiver and it is classic sounding, and POWERFUL with 30-watts per channel output.

Some time back I was conversing with @action pact, who sold his Fisher receiver to another forum member, and we were having this discussion about the X-100. What he was saying, does make a lot of sense. Though I am fortunate to have a beautiful receiver, which was lovingly restored by @KT88, I consider the receiver large, heavy, really heavy, and really complicated. this thing has tubes everywhere.

I thought about it, and I thought about how I never listen to the radio and that I don't want to put unnecessary wear on the Fisher.

I decided to purchase a EL-84 family based Scott 222-C integrated amplifier.

The one that I purchased had been restored, some years before and had some issues with one channel. I had that looked over and corrected.

My reaction to the Scott integrated was the same as action pact's, beautiful solid midrange, smooth and detailed highs. While you don't normally associate these tiny tubes as being able to deliver substantial bass, they really do. And the bass that you hear is natural and effortless.

I love this amp. However, there is one problem, I can play it through the vintage Wharfedale's and all is good, but when I play it through the A7's, which are very efficient, they bring up the noise floor and unfortunately, with the rising noise floor comes hum that is all too audible.

This integrated, is in hiatus, until I can find a knowledgeable tech, that can put it on the bench and get rid of the noise.

russk likes this.
  14. Tamla Junkie

If you weren't in Florida, I'd throw her on the bench and look into it for you.

Keep in mind though, these recievers were built when a hum and noise level of 55 to 60 dB below rates output was considered "Hi-Fi". Couple that tiny bit of residual hum with super efficient speakers like the A7s or Khorns and you're going to be fighting some hum.

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That is what I was thinking too. I have some vintage Wharfedale's that I want to throw the 222C on to and see if that tames it down enough.

I recall one member who has a pair of Avantgarde Duo's who was asking for advice on using class-D amplification, because of how present the hum was with tube amplifier's.

I have some issues in Detroit that need to be resolved, don't think that I will make it there my self, but I have an attorney on the ground up there who is coordinating my efforts.

Thanks for the offer.

Would it be possible for you to send me a PM so that I might be able to reply to it?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  16. Tamla Junkie

Absolutely.

17. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

Dynaco SCA35 (Stock)
    Lafayette LA224B (Stock)
    Leak Stereo 20 with no global feedback. Input at the capacitor of the phasesplitter.

Lafayette needs new MKP or MKT capacitors because the originals leak.
    Dynaco as it is impeccable.
    Leak needs new capacitors/ electrolytics/many resistors out of spec.

18. meshplate

meshplate Member

I recently bought a pair of modified EICO HF 30s. They have new parts and some circuit modifications. They drive Spendor S100s which is a quite a full range speaker and will show up sloppy bass.

19. meshplate

meshplate Member

20. meshplate

meshplate Member

I have a TD124 MKI as well. Mine with a FR64 and SPU Gold. A Gray 108B is my mono arm placed at the rear.

action pact likes this.
  21. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Who serviced your x-100 or did yourself?
    thanks

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  22. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

Hi, a bit irrelevant but what’s the turntable?

23. action pact

That was a '61 Thorens TD-124 in a homemade plinth, now owned by a fellow forumite.

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  24. action pact

I bought it from a fellow named "RossW" on Audio Karma who is local to me, so I was able to check it out in person. Prior to sale, he did all of the necessary recapping and got everything working right; it was the best $400 I ever spent on hifi, it's probably worth double that now. I upgraded the 12AX7's to '58 RCA long black plates (replacing a mishmash of old tubes, nothing special) and put a '72 Mullard (Blackburn) rectifier in there (replacing a Sovtek), both of which further improved it. The power tubes are the Reflektors that I received with it.

A year or two I started noticing that the chassis was getting charged (I felt a tingling) and that concerned me, so I brought to Victor at The Audio Lab in Harvard Square. He fixed it by adding a 3-prong power cord grounded to the transformer, and that solved the issue. Victor commented that the soldering work on the recapping was done very neatly, which was nice to know.

The little X-100 is now paired with a lovely set of Spendor SP3/1R2's, and the Spendors do everything that the Wharfedales do well, but do it better!

baconbadge and theron d like this.
  25. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I would have to say Scott 299 series. Fisher is good, but those Scott audio transformers are better IMO. Vintage amps have tone controls to tune to your speakers and listening room. Vintage needs a rebuild though.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.