Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefan Sigurdsson, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Any chance it is the version from Cult Classic?

Cult Classic - Wikipedia

2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Farrell wasn't the funny part of the sketch. Walken was. And if not for that SNL sketch, BOC would be as forgotten as you think that sketch should be. As to it relegating cowbell to the dustbin of history or for ironic use only, that's pure hyperbole.
    From 2013, feast your ears on the irrepressible and non-ironic Clutch : " LET THE RHYTHM HIT 'EM!!! "

D.D.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

:laugh:

4. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

When I first heard it as a kid, I always imagined it being a song played by a man driving around at night...but who knows what he is up to. Perhaps he's a killer? But this has nothing to do with the video for Burning For You, as it has the same scene in it. Apart from that, Don't Fear The Reaper is a great song. And the SNL skit got mighty old after a while.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

With all due respect, I kind of agree with him. Even if its BOC doing the overdub, its still just that - an overdub made decades after the fact. A few new guitar licks and a simple "wreeeeeeee" of the keyboards may be novel, but it doesn't blow away the original. I'm fine not owning this "enhanced" version. But to each their own.

GrayMouser likes this.
  6. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll is my favorite of theirs. There is more to them then just their big three hits. Check out Extraterrestrial Live.

Todd W. and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  7. headshok

headshok Well-Known Member

"I Love the Night" has to be one of the great rock ballads. I can't ever listen to it just once. Perfect song.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Clutch is awesome.

Todd W. and Diamond Dog like this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Oh my, no!

10. Gattor

Gattor Well-Known Member

My first BÖC album was Cultosaurus Erectus. What an awesome title for an album and a great record. Then I received Fire of Unknown Origin when it came out. Played it to death. At that time I still had not heard Don't fear the Reaper or Godzilla. Went over to a buddy's house and his brother had all their albums. That's when I was listening to their older stuff and I was hooked.
    I think I needs to get me some CLUTCH.
    Cheers

DaverJ, Diamond Dog, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  11. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Don't Fear the Reaper was one of the first songs I ever learned to play on the guitar! (I still can't nail that solo part though for the life of me.)
    Let's just say. Regardless of the over-the-top airplay it's gotten. It rocks, HARD! :evil:

junk and hi_watt like this.
  12. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Love that song, and the live album too.

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Their 'only worthwhile track'?

No: it's not even one of their best tracks. Their run from the debut up to Spectres is very strong. I'd even put in a word for Mirrors, which I like e a lot.

14. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

"Is this the only worthwhile track they ever released?"

What a laugh..someday there will be a best selling novel/film based on the legends. myths and truths that unfold the grand plot found throughout the songwriting.

On your feet, or on your knees.
    [​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  15. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I hope Black and Blue officially comes out on Blu-Ray

junk, hi_watt and The Hud like this.
  16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Could be...
    Anyone own this and can check it out?

17. Vinyl Socks

It's just my opinion...what we have is a train-wreck of opinons...maybe it was the "enhancements" I was legally consuming when I first heard it...
    I was a bit put of by his cocky attitude. Didn't dig that at all.

18. Vinyl Socks

Also...IMO...the original sounds bland in comparison...I appreciate the extra parts added by Buck Dharma and Allen Lanier.
    Often here at SHMF, I will post an opinion...then get rebuffed for my opinion...and the main rebuffing argument is always...someone's opinion. So...nobody wins. A bunch of opinions.
    Have a great day!! It was nice sharing opinions!!

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Great album and great covers........

I wonder if I've missed this one on the thread, before Reaper...........[​IMG]

Other great songs.........ETI, The Last Days of May, Transmanican, Career of Evil, Red and the Black, Death Valley Knights etc....

Reaper also used very well in the classic Halloween........ Jamie Lee coming out with another next year. Excellent song no matter how many times I hear it. Saw them in 1980 with the opening band The Rockets.

vmajewsk, GodShifter and Oliver like this.
  20. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

way better than the original is subjective. How do you know the overdubs were "completely done by the band?"

Just curious.

21. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

I mourn to think that so many people have heard DFTR but have never heard the monster E.T.I. riff that comes after the fade-out.

22. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I saw that first one in the theatre and I think I was in love with her for about a week after that. Horror movie or not...

its not like she was some ubber-smokin scream queen like Ingrid Pitt... she was a hot teenaged girl in a movie with a BOC song.

hi_watt and Todd W. like this.
  23. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Same here........saw it in a small, fold up the sidewalks town in North Carolina. We were their on a baseball trip and decided to go see this move called Halloween. A bunch of 18 and 19 year olds couldn't sleep that night when we got back to the hotel. Boy, have times changed.

hi_watt and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  24. Vinyl Socks

"Way better" was an opinion I will likely be burnt in effigy about all day. I am going to detach myself from that post, because I don't want my enjoyment of this forum to be dulled by (snarky)rebuttals to my opinion.
    The guy who originally slammed my comment insinuated that it was a random YouTube up-loader who "simply added a few guitar licks" while the song played in the background. That...was an absurd bit of trolling on his part...just to counteract my joy in sharing the alternate version of the song with y'all.
    I guess that was a big mistake.

Do I know for sure if the Hammond organ was added by the band? No. Do the extra guitar licks sound like Buck Dharma? Yes (IMO). Is it possible that they were recorded at the same time as the original take and then potted-up for the remix? Yes (IMO).

Lots of opinions here, and that's okay. Until someone with credible knowledge chimes in and gives an accurate account of what happened with the song...it's all opinion, my friend.
    All opinion...take care!

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I own it. I will try to check it out later today.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.