Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Fair enough, that's perfectly understandable. Lynch is, first and foremost, an extremely talented filmmaker, and I think a lot of viewers enjoy the more grounded aspects of his work without caring for the time/space/identity explorations.

2. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I find this a very telling comment.
    That you should look at it again means that interpretation is not what Lynch was trying to convey.
    That you could see it in different ways means that it is not clearly stated so is open to other interpretations, whether or not they match Lynch's.

Gardo, Daniel Plainview and rburly like this.
  3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm fine with time/space movies. The series had its extremely great parts (I could watch and enjoy, not focusing on the plot). They brought back people from the original series, but mostly for some context I suppose. There are just too many loose ends.

4. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Bought the boxset for the original series for $29 on Amazon. Yeah, they're probably gonna come out with a new boxset with season 3 in it, but I doubt it's gonna look better than The Entire Mystery, and it probably won't have FWWM since it's on Criterion.

Wounded Land likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

What is a retcon?
    Given societal attitudes towards and laws regarding drug use, there is no reason to ever take at face value someone's denial of being a drug user. If someone admits to it, I will tend to believe them.

rburly likes this.
  6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Is the CBS Blu-Ray box (The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces) from last year already out of print?

7. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Serious question: Do you feel the same way about music?

8. frozen-beach

I believe so. From what I've seen online, now it costs more than the full boxset.

9. rburly

I don't think of music the same way. I won't listen to music that I don't like. If most of an album has music that I really enjoy, I'll buy it. If, as I suspect, you're talking about music that has some fantastic songs and crap, I won't buy it. There were several episodes that I was ecstatic about. There just wasn't as much good as great for me.

10. Wounded Land

Okay, fair enough. I suppose I interact with music a little differently than you. Sometimes I don't initially like something but I feel like I could gain or learn from it given further study. I guess I'm kind of weird in that regard.

Thanks for answering!

SlimLee and rburly like this.
  11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Huh. Glad I bought it last year when it was on sale for $40. I've hoped that Criterion would tackle FWWM for almost two decades, but they waited too long. I don't see any difference between theirs and the disc I own. I would rather support them than CBS, but I don't need two copies.

12. Then there are a lot of other great directors you'll never like because there are others who don't complete or resolve plot lines . But that's what makes art great. Something for everyone. .

Billy Budapest likes this.
  13. They both have exactly the same content, though.

14. frozen-beach

Not exactly, the 2016 release is lacking the 10th disc

15. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

“(The final episode of Season Two) was going to be the basis of our argument for whether we were going to come back or not. As was the structuring of all the cliffhangers that we included in the story to try to induce them to say, well you know, people are going to want answers to all these things.” - Mark Frost, interview with NY Times, May 17, 2017

"It resolves the questions left from the original series.” - Showtime President David Nevins, Seattle Times, August 11, 2015

“It’s designed to be a close-ended, one-time event." - Nevins, Entertainment Weekly, March 10, 2017

"The core of it is Agent Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks." - Nevins, ibid.

BTW, the Dugpa.com forum (which has been up since 1999 and bills itself as dedicated to Lynch first and Twin Peaks second) has two threads with different takes on The Return:

"The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group" thread has 305 pages.
    "The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group" thread has 6.

kevywevy, Gardo and Spitfire like this.
  16. Wounded Land

That Disappointed thread at dugpa has been going since the early days of the show. The other is new. FWIW

rontoon, Gardo and Jerry Horne like this.
  17. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Not to mention that it's been my experience that on internet message boards the dissatisfied seem to be the most vocal participants.

fuzzface, Wounded Land and Gardo like this.
  18. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Fine, pedant.

Since the inception of the "Satisfied" thread:

The "Profoundly Disappointed" thread has 40 pages.
    The "Profoundly Satisfied" thread has 6 pages.

I note that you didn't address any of the statements Frost and Nevins made, all of which turned out to be misleading and dishonest.

And no, @marblesmike, "the dissatisfied" are not the most vocal participants. How many "The Beatles sucked" threads are there in Music Corner?

19. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I'd say that since this thread is still going on (haters, lovers, or in-betweeners) this long after the finale aired, Lynch did his job. Love it or hate it, it is a testament to the art.

GentleSenator, Mazzy and rontoon like this.
  20. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

A very perceptive analysis of Lynch's response, in my view. Thanks.

21. rburly

I didn't hate it, so I'm one of those in-betweeners. I waiting for great TV, a la Breaking Bad, it just didn't happen. I was left with a "Whaaaaaa?" feeling that I don't like after 18 hours.

22. I’m still thinking of the series every couple of days. Images keep Popping into my head.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  23. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I went and looked at the "Profoundly Disappointed" thread. A lot of the discussion is back-and-forth between defenders and detractors. And, just like on SHF, the detractors are mostly represented by a small number of members who keep posting the same thing again and again.

More meaningfully, I think, here is a poll on the same site:

Which option best describes your overall reaction to The Return as a complete work?
    Poll runs till Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Like or Love 63%
    Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like 12%
    Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike 12%
    Dislike or Hate 12%

Total votes: 329

Jerry Horne, Gardo and Wounded Land like this.
  24. Wounded Land

I am sorry if I offended you. I have been following the dugpa forums since TP:TR started, and just wanted to make sure that you understood the entire context. Also, I should note that most of the positive discussion of the show was taking place in the episode-specific threads.

With respect to your other points, I'm not sure what you want me to say. You feel like you deserve something that you didn't receive. I feel like I received something that I didn't deserve. I suppose that's the beginning and end of it.

This whole discussion is interesting to me, because in my offline life, I know five other people who are TP or DL fans. Of the six of us, five were completely blown away by TP:TR. Two consider it the best TV they've ever seen (considering it as part of a unit with the original and FWWM). One liked it a lot with perhaps a few more reservations than the rest. My only experience with people who disliked it (sometimes violently so) has been online in places like this. It's been interesting.

25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Time for a poll?