Klipsch Speakers VS Elac Floor Standing Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am thinking of buying my first pair of speaker. I have heard rave reviews for the Elac Debut Series. I was going to buy the F6 Speaker. Just a single, I cannot afford a pair. I am listening to the Let There Be Talk Podcast. Its a Comedy and Music podcast check it out if you are a music nerd. Dean Delray has interviews with the Drummer for Slayer, Jess Hughes, Josh Homme, Wes Borland, Nikki Sixx.... (Obviously, this forum is not shy to music nerds) He had the CEO of Klipsch Speakers company on. I always knew Klipsch were great, but they are handmade in Arkansas. The CEO talks about rock bands and musicians from Cheap Trick Green Day, Skynard, Dave Ghrol, Billy Bob Thornton, and Chris Cornell all loving their speakers. The Equivalent would be R-26F. The sound isn't coloured and playback music the way artist wanted you to hear it so what do you think.

Should I buy the Elac Debut F6 or Klipsch R-26F? I know its an opinion which speaker is better, but if you could explain the pros and cons of each if you own or know anything about these brands. I feel Like Klipsch is higher end gear and I should wait till I have some money till I buy them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Kevin, you need to listen to these speakers yourself. Glancing at your profile and your music preferences, I would guess you might like the Klipsch the best, but that is just a hunch. You could ask 100 guys on here what speaker to buy, and you are going to get close to a hundred different suggestions. If it was my money, and my music choices, I would buy the Elac 99 times out of 100 and would have to be drunk the other time to listen to a Klipsch. Just not my cup of tea. But, it might be yours.

3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

What is your budget as a pair of any speakers would be preferable.

Helom likes this.
  4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I have not heard any pair of klipsch I like. All of them are painful to my ears/jawline/molars

Darn horn loads tweets are just not for me.

Manimal likes this.
  5. AcidPunk15

I want the F6/ RF-26 so 350+ a speaker I guess. Why would a pair be necessary isn't one-floor speakers going to be loud enough. I live in a 644 sqft apartment

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Have you heard Cornwalls with EL34s?

sberger and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. AcidPunk15

Klipsch Heritage Series?

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Klipsch models manufactured in Hope, AR are not the ones you're referencing. The U.S. made speakers belong to their Heritage line which are in a whole different league.

The R series is made in China and has more pronounced (fatiguing) treble.

I'm betting those rock stars were referring to models such as the Klipschhorns or LaScalas.

In that price range, you're probably better off with the Elacs, but for goodness sakes, sell a kidney and buy a pair!

9. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Korner horns made we want to never hear klipsch again. Amps were adcom monos, maybe that's why ;)

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

There are no losers in the Cornwall line...old or new.

russk, sberger and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Why yes I have...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

To each his own I guess, I own a pair of Klipsch KLF-20's from the Legend series and could not be happier.

This I do not understand:
    Are you going to only listen to mono recordings?, it would seem that you need a pair (two) to re-create stereo, am I missing something ?

clhboa and Helom like this.
  13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Interesting! 2:1 Elac (as of this post). Wouldn't have guessed that on this (somewhat) traditionally-minded forum.

I voted Elac. Without getting into the specifics of different models, I think the Elacs would be simply easier to live with; less fatiguing.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  14. I would've voted for Klipsch—and recommended used KG4's. They can be had for a great deal, as they weren't part of the Heritage Series. They have a tremendous sound, far superior to the beloved Heresys to my ears. I run them myself.

However, they may be just a tad too big for your space—and maybe too awesome in the sound department if neighbors are a concern. But, give them a look!

If you're going strictly new between these two, then I vote for the Elacs.

Good luck,

Bill

Ntotrar and bhazen like this.
  15. AcidPunk15

I didnt now you need two speakers. assumed since they are huge I only needed one. Im getting a job soon. My first couple of pay check should go towards my speakers then.

16. AcidPunk15

Im going to go to best buy and test them out once i get the cash. Getting a job soon

17. AcidPunk15

didnt know that

18. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

The best advise has been already given, you need to listen to the speakers and choose what sounds good to you. Speakers are highly subjective and subject to each individuals taste. To coin a phrase "One man's crap is another man's gold" Audition as many good quality speakers as you can and get what sounds best to you.

MikeJedi, bhazen, Sneaky Pete and 2 others like this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, it is why. Adcom's faults got brought out for you to hear. Pretty they're not. Try again with a clean quality 50 watt or less, not overdesigned tube or SS amplifier and re-audition. If it's still not for you, that's fine. But I bet you like it better partnered with something appropriate.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Just listen to lots of the speakers in your price range. Use the kind of music you love, but mix it up a little. Some rock, acoustic, vocal and instrumental. Use amps comparable to your own, and buy the ones that speak to you.

Don't narrow your options to two brands.

FYI: those Klipsch are on sale at Crutchfield right now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    AcidPunk15 likes this.
  21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Based on your budget - I've voted the ELAC though I haven't heard them - so take my vote with a grain of salt. Go out and listen.

bhazen likes this.
  22. AcidPunk15

Im going to best buy and i will test elac debut f6, wharle
    yah i just moved to austin but back in jersey I was told you could test out speakers at most best buy locations. im going to plug in my iphone and listen to classical music, hard rockm dance rockm goth.....

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well your first couple of paychecks should go into the bank for a rainy day!
    After that...speakers last for DECADES, so the more you can spend the better. Of course we cannot all spend zillions.

So my typical advice for the budget challenged is to get an inexpensive receiver. I got a used Denon off a guy on Craigslist for $10. Not $100, $10. And a Yamaha surround receiver for $25. The speakers make WAY more difference to your total sound, so you want to really spend your money there.

The ELACs are a more neutral sound, compared to Klipsch which are generally felt to have a more forward/in-your-face sound due to their horn tweeter. On the other hand, I expect the Klipsches will play significantly louder per watt than the ELACs. And they are on sale now, $279 each + 10% more off if you sign up for their email:
    Reference Floor Standing Speakers | Klipsch
    or if you can manage, twin 8" woofers* for $449 each:
    Reference Floor Standing Speakers | Klipsch
    *Bass requires moving air, so more/bigger woofers is generally a good thing, especially once you move to a bigger place eventually.
    If you do get into the ELAC line, their Uni-Fi models use a concentric mid/tweeter which definitely makes the sound even better.

Here is one different alternative, on sale $199/pair.
    8-inch Powered Studio Multimedia Monitor Speakers (pair) - Monoprice.com
    a good sized woofer, and built-in power and crossover so you can just run your phone into them and stream. No receiver needed! Monoprice is well known for making inexpensive good products.

24. AcidPunk15

You respond is what I was looking for. I have a Denon AVR-3330 Reciever a Technics BD20 Turntable and a Nakamichi LX-3 cassette deck. My parents pay my rent and tuition as well as food. I know god forbid someone whos dad who works hard should have it easy. I wanted a relatively cheap speaker first so I know what to look for after. I dont feel its smart to spend 1000+ on speakers.

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, it's OK to spend $1000+, it can definitely be worth it. But you're not there yet! :D Bless your parents, and yeah I'd suggest those Monoprice as a good alternative except they don't really mesh with your setup-unless you don't have a lot of vinyl and switch to streaming.

I'd suggest this is a very good value alternative
    ELAC Debut B6
    if you have a shelf (or maybe even desk) to put them on. They have VERY solid bass for bookshelf models. If not, then yes, towers, which do tend to cost more (But stands are not free either).

BeauZooka likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.