U2 drops "You're The Best Thing About Me"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PDK, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

Yep, you nailed that one. Absolutely.

2. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Your posts smack of an agenda and they're not the slightest bit amusing either. I get it. You didn't like "No Line On The Horizon" or "Songs Of Innocence"; however, many of their long time fans did like those last 2 albums. I'm one of them.

I'll admit that "Get On Your Boots" wasn't the strongest song to release as a first single. The rest of the album, I quite liked.
    Radio didn't play "Magnificent", "I'll Go Crazy..." or "Breathe" and the general public barely even knew it was out for the most part. The radio stations in 91/92 broke the challenging "Achtung Baby" and they could have supported "No Line..." more than they did but they did not, so not many heard it or the last one. The people that bitched the most about the last album never even heard it.
    The new songs were terrific "live" on the last 2 tours (especially the songs that were featured on the i & e tour two years ago)

Negative comments on a U2 thread on this forum are as common as the sun rising every day or a Beatles-related thread for every 5 that are posted on this forum overall. It's expected, but it's discouraging and these snarky comments that are often passed off as humour are a damn drag to read.

Why not dump on "Arcade Fire", "Tame Impala" or "The War On Drugs", three bands that are not in the slightest "musically" interesting or original, but so many give that mediocrity a pass...
    ...no, let's dump on U2...

It's tiresome as hell.

Stick with discussing The Beatles. Leave the U2 threads to the fans.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    dkmonroe and Tuco like this.
  3. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

You get negective comments when a band like U2 continue to release bland albums time after time.

5. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Spoken like someone who got on the bus in 2009 or so......

When UF, JT, and AB came out, you knew INSTANTLY that you were listening to classics. Period. Those albums were like a seismic shift for the whole music scene. I've been a fan since I saw them with 150 of my closest friends at the Bayou in DC in 1982. But I do agree that for their last 3-4 records, U2 is simply overthinking things. Would really love to hear a nice, visceral release that they put together on 6 months. Not 6 years. There's a certain "sameness" to every record they've put out since ATYCLB, although "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" was a standout for me.

But I do agree that it's a mistake to judge u2 records by their first singles. Those are generally not the best tracks on the record.

enro99, GyroSE, PDK and 1 other person like this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

In the chorus I started to think about the lyrics as a girl singing about a boy. Bono changing perspective within the song. Made more sense to me and if not it still works for me. I like Pop music and I like just about everything about this song in this respect, including the lovely bridge. I also like the tiny 'irony' of the "walking away" tag in the song, from the band that hit with "I Will Follow" and I imagine my favorite album they ever did - BOY - in the "you're the best thing about me" chorus ;).

7. dee

dee Senior Member

I agree they do all of the above. They may not 'teach' in a classroom sense but adults can learn or not learn more about themselves and their own patience, judgement, and more by either being around children or raising them.

8. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Yes leave him alone esp when he's hanging out with dubya in Texas. Never criticise the poor defenseless billionaires or their music.

I got the white vinyl copy of SOI dirt cheap, can't wait to pick up this new one on a fire sale too, go ahead and press too many!

9. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Well that's me told off, then.
    :p

But as an early adopter of the band when Paul Hewson hadn't yet developed the mouthy tower-climbing persona we know today (or is it, 'knew yesterday'?), I'll claim the right to be on the board as a 'fan' (particularly as I own more U2 records than Beatles records).
    Humour may be a way of making snarky criticisms but only if you're in a world where sarcasm and humour are confused, sarcasm not being humour at all.
    Bono has always been Bozo ever since he appeared, on one of U2's TV debuts, on The Tube where, dressed all in white, he gave 'messiah' to Paula Yates in a manner which caused his most fervent Irish fans (there weren't too many non-Irish fans at the time) to 'let's never speak of this again' :p
    The U2-haters obviously are out there, rounding upon a tax-avoidance they haven't even looked into. I'd prefer if they'd take him to task for not pushing George Bush over the edge of the recent mountainside they were selfied on.
    But to get to grips with the last few albums and their singles, and why radio hasn't supported them like they did 'The Fly', well that's simply because 'The Fly' and the rest of the singles off that 1992 album were literally dynamite whereas dampness of squib pollutes recent offerings. What's more, I have given the albums an airing and was most disappointed by the lack of tune. I can't remember any of those tunes without playing the albums. A definite first in the U2 chronology.

It's alright though. When they return to form, they won't be troubled by 'snarkiness'. They'll just, as ever, seize the airwaves. That they haven't recently is perfectly appropriate.

BUT WAIT.
    I haven't even heard the new one yet!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  10. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

The twenty somethings I work with know U2 as "that band who sing Beautiful Day".

LarsO and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  11. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I was so tired of Bullet until I saw them at Dreamforce last year. They are really injecting new life into this one.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, if you hate him so much, why soil your hands with his awful albums? Have the courage of your convictions, man.

13. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

knock knock

who's there??

Jesus

Jesus who?

Jesus Hewson, son of Bono

PDK likes this.
  14. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Can't there be a IHATEALLTHINGSU2 thread for all this s***. :wantsome:

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

QFT
    Try being a U2 fan and a Star Wars fan and having your enthusiasm for a new album or movie completely trampled on by others who just can't leave the past behind! Good grief! :help:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    dkmonroe likes this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I think it goes both ways. Like I get what you mean, but I also remember when this song came out there were a legion of people here/on various forums who seemed almost as if they were personally offended by the fact that a lot of other U2 fans don't like the song... so I agree that sometimes the worst thing about fandom is fans but for more than one reason lol

PDK likes this.
  17. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Personally I would love to dump on "Arcade Fire"...and " has to be the most overrated band I had hade the misery to listen to in a long time..

18. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

one more...

knock knock

who's there?

it's Adam Clayton to see Bono.

do you have an appointment???

PDK likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Crystal Ball: What’s Up Next

Original Story by U2Songs.Com (2017-09-22)

What’s up next for U2? The third leg of the tour is winding to an end today in San Diego. The next leg starts and runs from October 3 until October 25 in Mexico and South America.

Occasionally we like to step back and share some of the bits and pieces we hear along the way. As with anything U2 related, dates can change and these should all be taken as rumour until such time that they actually happen.

First up? Anton Corbijn is rumoured to be working on the tour film for The Joshua Tree 2017. Corbijn’s visuals are firmly connected with the original album, and his visuals form the basis for much of the current tour, especially the 11 songs from the original album. Corbijn is no stranger to working on tour films, as he’s directed Depeche Mode’s Devotional film in 1993, and their Live in Berlin film in 2014. Corbijn has been at the last few tour stops and has been filming some footage. The rumour shared with us is that the two shows in Buenos Aires are the two that are being filmed this tour. That gives the band and Corbijn two shows to get the shots that they require for the tour documentary. But it appears some pre-production work is being done already at various shows in the USA.

The album announcement that was expected with the release of “You’re The Best Thing About Me” left a little to be desired. The band still has not clearly announced the date of release, planned formats for the album, track listing or many other important details. The date will be this year, and this has been confirmed by Adam, Bono and The Edge. But the Edge has refused to give a specific date, while Bono and Adam have said that it will arrive December 1. We are told that the full details should come out on Friday, October 20th or thereabouts. The band are not performing that day, but will be in Sao Paulo, Brazil for the four concerts being held there. It is not known at this time if they will do something in regards to the announcement or if the details will be announced without their live participation.

We are able to let you know the list of songs that U2 have discussed in the recent weeks of interviews. The band has named the following:

American Soul
    Summer of Love
    You’re The Best Thing About Me
    The Blackout
    The Lights of Home
    The Little Things That Give You Away
    Get Out Of Your Own Way
    The Showman
    Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
    Love is All We Have Left

That’s 10 songs that a member of U2 has mentioned in interviews in the last two weeks as being on the album. Will there be others? “Red Flag Day” is a song that was played during listening sessions this summer on The Joshua Tree 2017 tour, so we think there’s a good chance that belongs on the list as well. Older titles such as “Much More Better,” “Tightrope” and “Civilisation” have not been discussed since much earlier in the year and may no longer be part of the project or may have changed into another song on the path to the album. Sounds like it may be a few weeks yet before we know.

We’re also told the announcement in October may include an announcement of tour dates for the Experience and Innocence tour, expected to start in late March 2018. Tickets will go on sale shortly after any announcement. The tour is expected to hit the USA, Europe and Australia / Asia in 2018. We do not have any information about exact dates or routes at this time. Previously we were told this tour announcement would be in early December, so don’t get excited yet.

An earlier rumour was that a second single from the album would be released this fall, and although it was suggested to us that it would be released in November, October 20 is a Friday, and that is now the day that new music is released worldwide. It would be an opportunity to get some promotion for a new song underway before a promotional tour starts. The promotional tour for this new album will start after the current tour ends on October 25, the band will take a few days between the two, so expect some promotional dates to start showing up in mid-November.

Also coming this fall, U2 will likely be participating in a tribute album to T.Rex, having recorded their track in New Orleans. We’ve also been told they will be contributing a live version of one of the songs performed on The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 to another compilation album coming this fall. And finally, the U2.Com subscription gift should be shipping any day for the 2017 present. In case you’ve forgotten that gift will be four 10-inch records, each containing one of the original singles on the A-Side, and a live version of that song from this years tour on the B-Side. The four songs will be “With or Without You,” “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” “Where the Streets Have No Name” and “In God’s Country.” When resubscribing users were told that this gift would begin to ship in September.

u2songs.com was formerly known as u2wanderer.org.

pearle and Panama Jack like this.
  20. PDK

PDK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.