Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

But the core of the show was Agent Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks, so how is Nevins' statement "misleading" or "dishonest"?

Billy Budapest likes this.
  2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

He was there for all of about 10 minutes.

3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Right. Which is why Nevins said the core of the show was Agent Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks. Wouldn't be much of an odyssey if he made it there in episode 2.

4. Huh. On Amazon it says both are 10 discs. What is missing from the re-release?

5. I was effing blown away. To see Cooper succeed in his goal to save Laura Palmer, yet not succeed at the same time, was an awesome ending to the series.

I am one of those from the beginning fans whose television experience was completely changed when the first season aired in 1990. I watched every episode of season two, but halfway through it had definitely lost something for me. However, the season two finale and Fire Walk With Me sucked me back in. It's always been my favorite television experience of all time, my favorite soundtrack, abd left an indelible mark on me 25+ years ago.

I have one Twin Peaks adventure left--even though I own The Missing Pieces on Blu-ray, I have not watched it yet. Time to crack it open this weekend.

6. Remember what the Fireman (a.k.a. ????) told Cooper to remember at the beginning of episode one of the season: "430, Richard and Linda, two birds with one stone." Cooper said he understood. Anyone who was paying attention would know that Cooper the Cooper at the end who saw the "Richard and Linda" note is the same Cooper from the beginning.

7. If I WOULDN'T have been left with a "Whaaaaaa?" feeling, I would have been disappointed. This is Twin Peaks we are talking about here. Plus, there are a lot of answers if you explore and think.

Mazzy likes this.
  8. Bowie declined to appear in the series because he was deathly ill.

9. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

One thing that I keep finding interesting is that the thing that so many (understandably) seemed to think the whole series was building toward -- the big showdown between Cooper and his evil double -- never happened! In fact, they never even spoke to each other, or even looked each other in the eye. Evil Coop was dead mere moments before Cooper arrived on the scene. And yet I've seen and heard very little complaint or even comment on that score.

10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Thank God! I keep thinking it would have been something like this:

[​IMG]

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The show should stand on its own. I shouldn't need to have watched every show by a director to enjoy their work. Some of it I did, a lot I didn't like.

Spitfire likes this.
  12. It does stand on its own.

13. So one of the scenes from one of the last episodes was one of the first to be shot? I guess that is not uncommon.

14. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

The 2016 release had minimal packaging, unlike the original 10 disk set, and did not have disk 10 which consists of interviews, documentaries, etc., some of which I believe are on earlier DVD releases. I bought this a few months ago for about $40 for the pilot (both versions) and the Missing Pieces. Now the 10 disk version has been rereleased at an even lower price but I believe the same minimal packaging as the 9 disk version.

15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

^ Yup. The release of the series on BluRay has been really confusing. A 10-disc The Entire Mystery released in 2014 in fancy cardboard packaging [see unboxing pics here: Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery Blu-ray Box Art Revealed ] containing the original series, Fire Walk with Me, The Missing Pieces, and some strange interviews and other extras. Then a cheaper 9-disc set released in 2016 in a plastic case (with a slipcase around it) with the unwieldy title Twin Peaks: The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces [see unboxing pics here: Twin Peaks: The Original Series, Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces Blu-ray ]. Then, it seems, a new 2017 run (or possibly a UK import?) of the 10-disc The Entire Mystery in a plastic case, sometimes listed as Twin Peaks: Collection on Amazon even though that isn't its title. And, for more confusion, the Criterion Collection release of Fire Walk With Me also contains The Missing Pieces.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  16. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I don't find the releases confusing. CBS often does this with their deluxe sets like Hotel - a more expensive set and then a cheaper version later.

I bought the cheaper 9-disc set in 2016 and it was a reasonable price (however, looking at the original 10-disc set, I wish I had splurged for that set as it looks gorgeous).

The Criterion version of Fire Walk With Me seems a bit redundant but at least you can buy it separately from the box set.

17. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Showtime is now listing Twin Peaks (the Return) as available for streaming until 1/2/18.

Billy Budapest and Bowie Fett like this.
  18. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I see :wiggle:

Billy Budapest likes this.
  19. I have the one that you keep flipping the discs until you reach the end where underneath a little panel is a scrap of paper that says “Fire walk with me.”

20. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

21. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Same here! The box is lovely, and a little scary. I just rotated the discs after the reports that some found glue from the various paper sleeves had started burning into the discs. My discs looked fine. Need to watch FWWM again.

Thinking about getting the old DVDs (not the Gold Box DVDs but the original, not-too-good-quality DVDs, for the commentary tracks (which have never been included again on any of the DVD or BluRay releases) but I don.t know if they're worth it.

22. I have them but it has been so long since I listened to the commentaries, I couldn’t tell you if they are any good!

The only TP DVD release I am missing is the original international first season box that included the pilot. I had to buy the Taiwanese import with the messed up PAL-sourced (and then converted to NTSC) sound in order to get the pilot. Back then it was better than nothing. Anyway, I have thought about getting the international box for the pilot commentary (lacking on the Taiwanese DVD) but have never purchased it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

I put my discs into plastic sleeves and put them all at the front of the box so I don't have to flip through all the cardboard to get to a certain disc.

24. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Got my copy of The Entire Mystery in the mail. Ended up being the UK version. Unfortunately, there's some damage to the case, but it's very minor and the discs are perfectly fine. Well, except for the sync issues. Was kind of hoping I got lucky. Was it really so hard for them to have fixed this issue? I shouldn't have to pirate something to watch it in the correct way.

25. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

If you put your player to decode the audio in PCM instead of bitstream it might help with the sync issues. Worked on my PS3 and PS4.