Next Turntable - Rega P3 vs Technics SL-1210GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wgb113, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Plus, if you're asking a question like the OP is about what turntable to buy, it's a very reasonable consideration, if he wants to buy the turntable in his price range that performs best, to think about which turntable best minimizes the intrusion of motor vibration and terminates stylus/arm energy. I promise the turntable that does that better than another will have less "vinyl whoosh," reveal more inner detail from recordings, track better, have better dynamics at the ppp end of the scale, and have a "blacker blacks" kind of presentation, if those sorts of things matter to someone.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have owned the Rega P3-24 as well as the Rega P9. I now have the Technics SL-1200GAE.

If had to start over, and had the OP's budget, it would be the Technics SL-1200GR, all day, every day :)

luckybaer, McLover, theron d and 2 others like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

somewhat surprising about swapping carts on the rega. i thought their 3-point mounting system made it easy (at least for rega carts).

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I wish it were easier to determine which tables would offer the best of these qualities among the non-Rega competition.

5. missan

missan Forum Resident

I agree. We´re talking mechanics mostly. A lot can be done with many TTs, but most just want a sort of best bang for the buck TT. And stay with it. They are normally not particularly bad, but not particularly good either.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Well I heard the Technics demo of the GR today (at the Bristol show) into their own amps and speakers. Given the new expensive amps have not had the best of comments my impression was that the sound was not much of an improvement if any over the PLX1000 in my system. The feet/isolation on the new deck look the same as the old Sl1200 so may not be as good as the PLX 1000. I think there may be a big difference with the much more expensive 1200G. This looks like the old deck with a new motor and some arm tweaks while it's more expensive version is a complete redesign. On what I heard in the Rega room I would buy the P3 (with power supply) over the 1200GR any day. The Rega with new budget Alpheta MC and Fono MC was very impressive.

punkmusick, PATB and heliocentric like this.
  7. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I agree it's not a huge deal, but I could notice it if I compared a CD and an LP of the same album, back when I had a rega. It doesn't make things sound bad though.

8. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident Thread Starter

How good/bad of an arm is the Jelco SA-250ST? The third turntable on my list is the Avid Ingenium but it's no longer available here in the US with the Pro-Ject 9cc, only with the Jelco.

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I was given a demo last year of the new Technics amps and speakers at Panasonic's US Headquarters and I was not impressed - at all. I was really surprised given the companies history and the high price of the new components. Anyway, this may have been a factor in the less than "wow" factor you experienced. However, on the other side of the coin, the PLX-1000 is considered a giant killer by some, so who knows?

JQ

punkmusick likes this.
  10. russk

russk Forum Resident

All I can say is that the 1200G is quite a step above my RP6 and my stock SL1200. Definitely not the same table as my old SL1200. Much less dark sounding. Much more detail.

My personal table search is now narrowed down to the SL1200G, a restored and replinthed Gerrard 301/401 or a Vinyl Nirvana TD125 long base. The last two tables with the 12inch SME arm.

As for the PLX1000. I think it's a nice table and the best you can buy for under a grand, much like the SL1200 was, but the SL1200 is better. I had a PLX next to my SL1200 for a week and the 1200 was noticeably better. Personally I think the only reason it gets favorably compared to the 1200 is because the 1200 is no longer made and was a safe target in that Stereophile review. If you have the two next to each other and the PLX sounds better something is wrong with the 1200.

I like Rega decks and have one but if I were the OP I'd go give a listen to them before committing. I have a good five hour drive down to NYC when I want to listen to lots of gear. Totally worth the trip though. If I had absolutely no other choice but to buy blind, knowing what I know about both brands and the sound of the decks I've heard, I'd go with the SL1200GR.

luckybaer, punkmusick, Tlay and 2 others like this.
  11. wgb113

Sounds like a good reason to visit NYC this spring!

12. russk

russk Forum Resident

On top of all the restaurants and endless stuff to do they have great record stores and Living Stereo is an amazing store.

wgb113 likes this.
  13. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

It's a good arm. Jelco has been producing OEM arms for a very long time and manufactures all of Ortofon's arms (under their own specs of course), and they all seem to be great in their respective price and categories.

14. Classicrock

The P3 (with MC cartridge) surprised me. It is different from previous Rega decks I have heard. The SL1200G will of course be better but not so sure about the GR. I find the PLX1000 has more life and not the slightly dead sound I have heard from the old SL1200. I also suspect if you get an arm with good bearings the damping may be an improvement over the old Technics. I don't believe it to be a world beater but you will have to double expenditure to significantly improve on it with exception of the new P3. Not heard such clarity and neutrality at the price before.

punkmusick and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Rega did knock it out of the park with the new P3. I love mine, it just plays music. With the heavy counterweight, it is allowing a DV 20xh2 to sing. No way, no how is an RP3 capable of doing that.[/QUOTE]

HiFi Guy and AmericanHIFI like this.
  16. Classicrock

I'm sure the one I heard had the TTPSU and Fono MC both with the new casework that matches the latest Brio.

17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

[/QUOTE]

I'm coming from a Pioneer PLX-1000 to a new P3. It may be small and lightweight, but it really makes music, I'll agree. I bought the TTPSU for it because I see this staying very long term.

This is shocking to me as I tried it in a whim to see what all the fuss was about. I owned a Planar 2/RB-250 about 15 years ago that I absolutely hated. The P3 is nothing like that and while it's not the most expensive table I've ever owned, it's quickly becoming my favorite.

18. Rix__MIX

Rix__MIX Member

Hi wgb113

What did you end up getting in the end?

I'm in the exact same dilemma at the moment between these two tables. I currently have a Project Esprit with an Ortofon Bronze cartridge.

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Not sure about US prices but the new Planar 6/Ania moving coil cartridge package is £1400 over here (£1200 with the Exact, and £1000 without cartridge). My local dealer reckons the P6/Ania is the best table combo under £2,000, though he would say that wouldn't he...

displayname likes this.
  20. wgb113

The Technics...it's an end-game table for me most likely. I think I could have gone for the Rega and said the same thing as well but the Technics just had a little more of the things I was after in the end. I love it! Good luck in your decision!

21. Rix__MIX

Rix__MIX Member

I think I am also swaying towards the Technics, as I fear the Planar 3 might be too much of a side step with what I currently have.

Did you fit your Ortofon Blue to it?

How's it sound in comparsion to your Project table?

Did you notice improvements with surface noise and rumble?

22. wgb113

I sold the 2M Blue off with the Pro-Ject and went with a 2M Bronze and a 2M Mono. The setup is better in every imaginable way as it should be at over 3x the cost (table, cart, preamp). The dealer was very big on the Ortofon Quintet Blue with this table.

I ended up cancelling my initial order as my dealer only had them trickling in a couple at a time after waiting three months. Had I not found inventory I very well could have been tempted by the new P6/Ania/TTPSU setup.

I really do the easy adjustability and versatility of the Technics though so I'm glad I had a little patience left.

Bill

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  23. Rix__MIX

Rix__MIX Member

Hi Bill

I've managed to bag a second hand 1210GR in mint condition for £800 ($1060ish), quite a saving made assuming everything works out as these are £1300 retail here. Was a real last minute decision, feeling a little freaked out by it. Hoping it all goes OK.

Which headshell are you using on your 1200GR with your 2M Bronze?

Robert C and recstar24 like this.
  24. wgb113

WOW! That's an awesome deal!

As for the headshell - I wanted to use the Ortofon SH-4 for both the Bronze and the Mono. They hold the cartridge @ 2-3mm higher off of the platter than the stock headshell with VTA at the zero setting. The solution is to use a thicker mat or second mat to get the platter height back up where it needs to be.

I also had an issue with azimuth being off (due to the collar on the arm, not the headshell) and the stock Technics headshell included with the GR has a set screw that allows for azimuth adjustment.

25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Please...We can't be sure that this is true as there's no official description anywhere about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.